Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP612 Frame Jumping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

The only real problem I'm experiencing with my new ViP612 is an occasional frame jump, both audio and video. Sometimes it's like a freeze but usually it stops on a frame and starts jumping a few frames foward and keeps doing it. When I skip or rewind back it usually will run smoothly although on occasion I'll simply end up missing a few seconds of a show.

I only watch recorded programming. And I am mostly watching while other shows are recording.

I'm hoping its not hardware, but it could be hardware or software. I'm beginning to wonder if the 612 either lacks sufficient cache size or simply uses slower memory or a slower processor. I've noticed that the 612 takes longer than the 722 to move shows to and from my EHD. Also, the 612 "feels" different from my 722 in terms of remote response lag.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also, is there any web info on the hardware used in the ViP612?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

It does the same thing to me too. Sometimes I can be watching something recorded and then it will skip a second or two. I end up missing what they were saying.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

I'd be fairly certain it's a minor software issue...I've experienced the same you both posted, though I do think the 612 restarts faster, and has faster remote response times than the 722.
OTOH, I don't keep a lot of events stored on the 612, so something like that may account for faster/slower response times :confused:
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#4 OFFLINE   mattydork

mattydork

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:09 AM

I too have the same issue with my 612 but notice it is more prominent on OTA. I'm sure it's just me but it only seems to happen just as the punchline to a joke is uttered. I know i can back it up to "fix" the problem but it kinda kills the joke.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:35 AM

I too have the same issue with my 612 but notice it is more prominent on OTA. I'm sure it's just me but it only seems to happen just as the punchline to a joke is uttered. I know i can back it up to "fix" the problem but it kinda kills the joke.

I can't always back up and get all the missing frames, such as last night on Stargate Atlantis. All I missed was some banter, but its frustrating.

#6 OFFLINE   Hypertrophy

Hypertrophy

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

I've got the same issue.

#7 OFFLINE   puck

puck

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

I've got the same issue.

Just purchased a 612 and I'm having this same issue. Seems to only occur on playback of recorded shows.

Is this still happening to other 612's. I have a 622 that has never exhibited this problem.

spam firewall