Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T and DIRECTV, Inc. Reach Agreement to Offer Satellite TV Service to AT&T Customer

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

AT&T and DIRECTV, Inc. Reach Agreement to Offer Satellite TV Service to AT&T Customers
Friday September 26, 5:12 pm ET

DALLAS and EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Sept. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T - News) and DIRECTV, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTV - News) today announced a commercial agreement by which AT&T will market and sell DIRECTV's service as a co-branded satellite television service after Jan. 31, 2009.

AT&T | DIRECTV will become part of the AT&T Advanced TV video portfolio, alongside AT&T U-verse(SM) TV, after the expiration of AT&T's current satellite agreement with DISH Network®, which it will fully honor. AT&T will offer, market and sell co-branded AT&T | DISH Network services through Jan. 31, 2009. After that date, existing AT&T | DISH Network customers will continue to receive the same, quality service they enjoy today.

New AT&T | DIRECTV customers will be able to enjoy DIRECTV programming packages, with the added benefit of a discount for bundling their wireless, home phone and broadband services with AT&T.

"Our focus is on providing customers with a better TV experience than cable," said Jeff Weber, AT&T vice president-Video and Entertainment. "AT&T | DIRECTV complements our premier AT&T U-verse TV service and gives customers another great choice for state-of-the-art, 100 percent digital programming."

"Our agreement with AT&T will provide endless opportunities to thrill consumers with an amazing suite of bundled entertainment and communications services at home and on the go," said Paul Guyardo, DIRECTV chief sales and marketing officer. "The real winners of this agreement will be our joint customers who will enjoy a singular, high-quality experience throughout their entire life cycle."

Other terms of the non-equity agreement were not disclosed.

About AT&T

AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T - News) is a premier communications holding company. Its subsidiaries and affiliates, AT&T operating companies, are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. Among their offerings are the world's most advanced IP-based business communications services and the nation's leading wireless, high speed Internet access and voice services. In domestic markets, AT&T is known for the directory publishing and advertising sales leadership of its Yellow Pages and YELLOWPAGES.COM organizations, and the AT&T brand is licensed to innovators in such fields as communications equipment. As part of its three-screen integration strategy, AT&T is expanding its TV entertainment offerings. In 2008, AT&T again ranked No. 1 on Fortune magazine's World's Most Admired Telecommunications Company list and No. 1 on America's Most Admired Telecommunications Company list. Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com.

AT&T | DISH Network: AT&T | DISH Network is a co-branded service provided by DISH Network L.L.C., the DISH Network logo and other product and service names are the trademarks and/or service marks of DISH Network L.L.C. © 2008 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.

© 2008 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.

Note: This AT&T news release and other announcements are available as part of an RSS feed at http://www.att.com/rss. For more information, please review this announcement in the AT&T newsroom at http://www.att.com/newsroom.

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTV - News), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 17.1 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with more than 130 HD channels. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed national cable companies for eight years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit directv.com.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

Wow!

I hope this means a lower bill for me (I have AT&T) but any rate this is huge!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

Thats good news, but I wonder if you will be able to get the bundle pricing in February, if you already have AT&T DSL and DirecTV.

#4 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

Wow!

The first thing came to my mind as well:)

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

Typically the savings is not that great but $5.00 to $10.00 a month is better then no savings

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,227 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

Wow!

If its anything like the Qwest/DirecTV deal discounts are only applied on the phone/DSL side. Also for the first couple years Qwest could only sign up new customers, I could not transfer my existing DirecTV service to a Qwest bundle.
My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   dreamyip

dreamyip

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

I can't even get AT&T DSL from my home address...
HR22-100 -> Sony KDL-52W4100 via HDMI
H21-200-> Gateway FHD2400 LCD via HDMI
H21-100 -> Sony 50" LCD via HDMI
HR24-500 - Panasonic TC-P65S2
5 LNB Slimline with Zinwell 6x8 Mulitswitch
Logitech Harmony ONE remote control

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

After reading posts from folks with AT&T/Dish packages saying what a PITA it is when trying to get 'discounted/free' upgrades or making changes. If AT&T/DirecTV have the same limitations I'll just stay with my non-bundled service.

But it's good to see AT&T make this decision IMHO, I think they made the right choice.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

Guess I will be concentrating on Dish Network Sales after this takes effect. Once again the little dealer gets one more kick from the big guy when he's down.
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
-------------------------------------
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

#10 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:45 PM

What caused the fall out between AT&T and Dish?
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#11 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,468 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:49 PM

Thats good news, but I wonder if you will be able to get the bundle pricing in February, if you already have AT&T DSL and DirecTV.

Wondering the same.

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-700

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360

Xboxone
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#12 OFFLINE   jdh8668

jdh8668

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:53 PM

Yay!!! Hopefully this saves me a little bit. Currently have AT&T DSL, local & long distance. At least it might help offset the yearly March Directv increase.

#13 OFFLINE   mjtville

mjtville

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

What caused the fall out between AT&T and Dish?

What caused the fall out between AT&T and DirecTV? AT&T was selling DTV service here in Alabama just last year. Save $10 per month on DTV service when bundled with phone and dsl. They made switch to Dish and now back to DTV? Must be $$$. Also Dish bundles with 2 other phone companies here, Centurytel and AllTel.

Watch AT&T buy DirecTV.....

(I feel bad for HSP Techs and Sub Contractors that will have to start back installing DTV that AT&T sells!)

#14 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

I'll be interested to see what happens. Uverse is just rolling out around here and if I could bundle DirecTV with the Uverse Internet service (don't care about the phone service) I'd be a happy camper.

#15 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Fairpoint Commuications took over Verizons Landlines in ME,NH & VT back in April and is offering a D* bundle as well(for new & existing customers). Not much savings though. So this deal with AT&T is similar.
Jimmy

#16 OFFLINE   morbid_fun

morbid_fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

If its anything like the Qwest/DirecTV deal discounts are only applied on the phone/DSL side. Also for the first couple years Qwest could only sign up new customers, I could not transfer my existing DirecTV service to a Qwest bundle.

Not true. I just combo billed my DirecTV with my Qwest bill. I am seeing a 5-10 dollar discount on each service, including DirecTV. Total of 37$ off.

#17 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

I can't even get AT&T DSL from my home address...

I couldn't either for a long time.But I would always go up to the AT&T website checking my number.Within 2 years my search said DSL available.I was with Clearwire for 2 years.Before that a local ISP company which were both more expensive than AT&T.;)

But I found out my lines couldn't handle the higher speeds(had to always reset my modem).So I went to a lower speed and modem resetting became a memory.:sure:

Wow! I guess AT&T has tried the rest now they want to try the Best!.;) :D

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:06 PM

What caused the fall out between AT&T and DirecTV? AT&T was selling DTV service here in Alabama just last year. Save $10 per month on DTV service when bundled with phone and dsl. They made switch to Dish and now back to DTV? Must be $$$. Also Dish bundles with 2 other phone companies here, Centurytel and AllTel.

Watch AT&T buy DirecTV.....

(I feel bad for HSP Techs and Sub Contractors that will have to start back installing DTV that AT&T sells!)

AT&T got the DirecTV relationship when they purchased BellSouth, AT&T had partnered with Dish at that time. After the merger they didn't need both DBS companies and when the contract with DirecTV ended they let it laspe and continued with Dish, but always said that at the end of the Dish contract they would reevaluate the two providers and could go back to DirecTV, which is what looks like happened.

This makes it AT&T, Verizon and Qwest that DirecTV partners with.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#19 OFFLINE   kariato

kariato

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

I'm an AT&T customer and have Dish through AT&T. I very much like dish (i'm not a sports fan and like the movie packages on dish and the DVR722 is sweet.) Will the existing contract hold and will I still pay for dish through AT&T. Basically what is the effect on existing customers with AT&T Dish service.

#20 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

I have AT&T home phone, DSL and DirecTV (TC+) I hope I don't have to go to one of their new craptacular packages to get a discount....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...