Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T and DIRECTV, Inc. Reach Agreement to Offer Satellite TV Service to AT&T Customer

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:54 PM

Yeah I hear you on the AT&T customer support :nono2:

I've been dealing with them over the last month regarding my DSL service. I hate getting India on the phone, however, I learned the other day if you ask for "Tier 2" customer support, they'll transfer you to the US.

Another option is to go to http://www.dslreport...forum/sbcdirect. There are a number of AT&T/SBC techs that visit that forum and might also be able to correct problems with DSL service.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

I believe that it was confirmed yesterday that you can get a $5 per month discount by bundling with other AT&T services. What remains to be seen is, if that forces you to use AT&T customer service for disputes or new orders. I plan on continuing to pay the $5 for the right to contact DIRECTV without going through another entity.

You still call directv for any directv issues. I.E. programming, PP, etc.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#103 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

I figured this. The discounts will be for new subs only and current subs are going to get nothing. :nono2:

Just got off the phone with AT&T, got this amazing deal! Current D* and AT&T subscriber. My last phone bill was $48 and change. I subscribe to TC+ and was told by both D* and AT&T that my programing will not change. My last D* bill was roughly $90.00
Anyway and I had to ask twice.. My internet speed is getting upgraded to their fastest speed I will be getting Caller ID and call waiting added to my phone service to be eligible to bundle. I was told (I reasked about 1 dozen times) I will get my phone, internet and DirecTv for under $100.00 a month before taxes..... I also asked if this would be changing and was told "NO". I explaind my D* service is almost 100 per month now.... So I jumped all over this deal and called D* to put it on my account that if TC+ gets changed I am un-bundling and going back to my TC+ package.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#104 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

Just got off the phone with AT&T, got this amazing deal! Current D* and AT&T subscriber. My last phone bill was $48 and change. I subscribe to TC+ and was told by both D* and AT&T that my programing will not change. My last D* bill was roughly $90.00
Anyway and I had to ask twice.. My internet speed is getting upgraded to their fastest speed I will be getting Caller ID and call waiting added to my phone service to be eligible to bundle. I was told (I reasked about 1 dozen times) I will get my phone, internet and DirecTv for under $100.00 a month before taxes..... I also asked if this would be changing and was told "NO". I explaind my D* service is almost 100 per month now.... So I jumped all over this deal and called D* to put it on my account that if TC+ gets changed I am un-bundling and going back to my TC+ package.

Man, I dunno, that sounds to good to be true.

I can see some kind of discrepancy coming in the next few months. I'm gonna have to comb over the fine print before I make a deal like this. I can easily see some clause prohibiting changing one package or the other.

My DirecTV bill is around $140 a month (including $25 in credits a month for this year) and my AT&T bill (phone and DSL) is about $50 a month. So $190 all together. If I could get it down to like $150-160 for both, I'd be ecstatic.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#105 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

I would be wary too....ask if that deal is strictly for new D* customers. You can get that AT&T bundle discount of $5 per month just by opting into it.

J

#106 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

Do you have to pay tax on the direct tv part if it is going to att or will that stay tax free.

#107 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

I would be wary too....ask if that deal is strictly for new D* customers. You can get that AT&T bundle discount of $5 per month just by opting into it.

J

The guy talked to his supervisor and she confirmed it.... Hey I'll send them $100.00 per month plus tax per our verbal contract.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#108 OFFLINE   quirkykarma

quirkykarma

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

I made some changes to the Triple Choice Bundle that we had last month due to price decreases on AT&T's phone services, and ended up loosing the $10 D* Discount and getting a $5 one instead. The AT&T guy assured me more then once that my D* billing wouldn't change since I still had the same services, he either didn't know what he was talking about or flat out lied. :(

#109 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

Yeah I hear you on the AT&T customer support

Not to drift this thread too far off topic, but I've recently been through a bit of a mess with AT&T. On January 2, I called Customer Service to have my residential phone line and my DSL service moved to a new house (same town, same central office, no phone number change). The rep said the dial tone would be activated at the new house on January 7 and the DSL service the next day. After multiple phone calls over several days trying to find out why the DSL didn't work at the new house, I finally got to an AT&T Internet CS rep on January 22 who discovered that the order to move the DSL service had never been entered in their system. As far as AT&T was concerned, my DSL service was still working at the old address. Apparently, within AT&T's system, the order to disconnect DSL at an old address has to be completed before an order can be entered to connect DSL at a new address. The rep called back on January 28 and told me that they could only offer me the slowest speed DSL and that they couldn't even guarantee that. I gave up and ordered Brighthouse TV and cable modem service. I've suspended my DirecTV account in the hopes that AT&T gets DSL or Uverse working at my location in the next few months. By the way, I don't care for the lack of HD channels on Brighthouse compared to D* though the cable modem works great.

#110 OFFLINE   erict

erict

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:58 PM

I hope this will pan out for you. Please keep us updated when your bill arrives. If true I will have to make a call.

#111 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

The rep said the dial tone would be activated at the new house on January 7 and the DSL service the next day. After multiple phone calls over several days trying to find out why the DSL didn't work at the new house, I finally got to an AT&T Internet CS rep on January 22 who discovered that the order to move the DSL service had never been entered in their system.

Funny you mention this. I've had 3 separate calls over the last month to them, and finally the 3rd time (last week) they sent a technician out to look at my line. I was given the same response "the system cancelled your tech visit" :nono2:

I was able to get a new modem sent out and so far so good *knock on wood*

I sure wish satellite internet would get better, I'd be all over it.

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#112 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:41 AM

I hope this will pan out for you. Please keep us updated when your bill arrives. If true I will have to make a call.

I got to thinking, I bet the phone, Internet and TC+ are $99.99 HD access, DVR FEE, PP, and extra receiver fees are on top of that... That would save me a little but no where near what I thought... Have to wait and see.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#113 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

FWIW, the $5 discount through AT&T (for DIRECTV service) is not available if your DIRECTV billing address is not the same as your DIRECTV service address. (Not that there's any reason for them to be different).
-GA

#114 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

I've gone through the application to bundle form at ATT's website twice now. Both times it's told me I should get a $5 discount each month for my bundle. But I still haven't got an e-mail to confirm (which is why I did it a second time, thinking the first didn't take for some reason or another). I'm going to call about this, but I was just wondering if anyone else trying to sign up for the bundle online has had this issue.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#115 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,789 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

I've gone through the application to bundle form at ATT's website twice now. Both times it's told me I should get a $5 discount each month for my bundle. But I still haven't got an e-mail to confirm (which is why I did it a second time, thinking the first didn't take for some reason or another). I'm going to call about this, but I was just wondering if anyone else trying to sign up for the bundle online has had this issue.

I was previously bundled and recently changed my phone services for a lower priced bundle. I had already received my $10 DirecTV credit under the old plan and within a day or so automatically received the new $5 credit under the new plan. I'm saving way more on the phone bill than I lose with the reduced DirecTV credit.

But, it did take almost 90 days for the original credit to appear way back when I first applied online (I did get a confirmation email that I saved though) and I had to call to get them to get it right (they did a 3-way with BellSouth, DirecTV and me), but I did get the back credits.

#116 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

FWIW, the $5 discount through AT&T (for DIRECTV service) is not available if your DIRECTV billing address is not the same as your DIRECTV service address. (Not that there's any reason for them to be different).

My account for my cabin has a service address for it, but the bills come to my residence.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#117 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

Thought I'd report back with my experience with AT&T's customer service when I called about bundling. I was told that the only way you could get the bundle discount is by subscribing to directv through AT&T - essentially, a discount available only for new directv subscribers using that option to subscribe. I said that there was nothing about that on the website so I started going through the application online with the CSR. When we got to the page that asked for the digital tv service, each directv package said "AT&T - Directv . . ." and the CSR said that meant having subscribed to directv through AT&T. Then I went through the rest of the process with her and was given the option to put my current directv account number in and arrived at a page where I was given the discount. She put me on hold and consulted a manager and came back to tell me that there was something wrong with the website and that AT&T would not be offering a bundle discount for current directv subscribers until the 3rd quarter this year. But, because of the misleading nature of the online application, she spotted me a $25 "courtesy discount" for my trouble.

Any chance she's right about that or should I give it a few days and try again?

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#118 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Thought I'd report back with my experience with AT&T's customer service when I called about bundling. I was told that the only way you could get the bundle discount is by subscribing to directv through AT&T - essentially, a discount available only for new directv subscribers using that option to subscribe. I said that there was nothing about that on the website so I started going through the application online with the CSR. When we got to the page that asked for the digital tv service, each directv package said "AT&T - Directv . . ." and the CSR said that meant having subscribed to directv through AT&T. Then I went through the rest of the process with her and was given the option to put my current directv account number in and arrived at a page where I was given the discount. She put me on hold and consulted a manager and came back to tell me that there was something wrong with the website and that AT&T would not be offering a bundle discount for current directv subscribers until the 3rd quarter this year. But, because of the misleading nature of the online application, she spotted me a $25 "courtesy discount" for my trouble.

Any chance she's right about that or should I give it a few days and try again?

I've given up on this all together.

AT&T's customer service is horrendous. I don't feel like waiting 45 minutes on hold again.

#119 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

I was previously bundled and recently changed my phone services for a lower priced bundle. I had already received my $10 DirecTV credit under the old plan and within a day or so automatically received the new $5 credit under the new plan. I'm saving way more on the phone bill than I lose with the reduced DirecTV credit.

But, it did take almost 90 days for the original credit to appear way back when I first applied online (I did get a confirmation email that I saved though) and I had to call to get them to get it right (they did a 3-way with BellSouth, DirecTV and me), but I did get the back credits.

I've had a similar experience so far. I too was a current bundled subscriber and switched to a new cheaper bundle online. Like you, I still get my old $10 credit plus the new $5 credit. However, my phone service is still unchanged after 2 weeks of "processing", so no phone bill savings for me yet.

UPDATE: Finally got it straightened out after a couple of emails. There was a line item in my order showing "GF DIRECTV" cancelled. I assume my GrandFathered bundle discount will go away, to be replaced with the new one. Keeping my fingers crossed that this part of the order falls through the cracks since the directv part of my discount was greater before ;-)

Edited by mdavej, 20 February 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#120 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, I've been thinking much the same thing. Just more trouble than it's worth.

I've given up on this all together.

AT&T's customer service is horrendous. I don't feel like waiting 45 minutes on hold again.

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

#121 OFFLINE   sp1dey

sp1dey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

I tried a search, but came up with no results... for existing customers of both ATT (DSL and Phone) and DirecTV, does bundling these services restart the clock on my 2 year commitment?

#122 OFFLINE   JD*

JD*

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

I tried a search, but came up with no results... for existing customers of both ATT (DSL and Phone) and DirecTV, does bundling these services restart the clock on my 2 year commitment?

No, but it does renew you on a 12 month agreement as part of the (for now) virtual bundle. This was also being discussed in the thread "directv at&t deals"

sorry I can't link yet.

#123 OFFLINE   Ruffread

Ruffread

Godfather

• Registered
  • 492 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

I just got off the line with both At&T and directv. If you call at&t, ask for billing, they know what's going on.

It seems I would be eligible for a $5.00 opt-in credit per month if I also had At&t's long distance service for an additional $4.00 per month. My current long distance costs with Power Net Global, are usually under $2.00 per month. So, at best it might save me $1.00 a month if I signed up for the package deal with At&t. If they add taxes and other charges, it would probably cost the same.
I'm sticking with my current set up, At&t local calling, dsl and Directv

Protected By... spam firewall...And...