Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Manual USB switch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   truthseeker

truthseeker

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

I have two questions.
1) I haven't been able to find a manual USB switch to allow using 2 or more HD's. I bought one online but it appears to only allow switching between 2 sources, not devices. Can someone tell me where I can buy one for one or more HD's?
2)Probably stupid, but what would happen if 2 HD's were connected at the same time?
Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

I have two questions.
1) I haven't been able to find a manual USB switch to allow using 2 or more HD's. I bought one online but it appears to only allow switching between 2 sources, not devices. Can someone tell me where I can buy one for one or more HD's?
2)Probably stupid, but what would happen if 2 HD's were connected at the same time?
Thanks for any help.

Do you want a cross-over 2/2 A/B USB Switch?
http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

For #2, error pop-up will display...no can do.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Here is the one I am using:

http://www.national-.../40u1-40295.htm

You also need to get the USB A Female / B Male Adaptors (one is needed for each drive you have) http://www.national-.../30u1-03300.htm

I use a switch for each one of my ViP receivers. When used with the Western Digital USB drives the drive shuts down when the switch is not in that drive's position.
Bill R

#4 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

I know Bill has these working but I'm 0 for 2 on USB switches and my ViP722. The first one I bought, a 2 port model but same style as Bill's would not work with any USB 2.0 devices so I returned it.

The second one I tried was a Monoprice switch and the necessary adapters to make everything hook up and again it did not work. When plugged in with the adapters it saw nothing. When I plugged it in the opposite way (the way it was designed to work, i.e. one hard drive split between 2 computers, it works fine. Definitely not 'bi-directional'.

Anyways, I wish anyone who tries this good luck, but I've given up on trying to get this to work.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#5 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

Any idea if this would work?

http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=4216974

IOGear USB 2.0 Peripherial Sharing Switch

#6 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

Are these switches usually non-powered?

#7 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:52 AM

Dbrakob,

All the ones that I have used have been non powered. I know several people that have tried powered ones and they could not get them to work.
Bill R

#8 OFFLINE   ratondeguano

ratondeguano

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

First time poster, long time reader. I've seen questions on how to connect multiple EHD to a single DVR using a USB switch. The way most people on this forum are doing this is by using an USB switch with female to male adapters on the cabling.

I found a simple USB powered switch, that can accommodate up to 4 different drives, without the need of using any adapters. it is a 4 x 2 "matrix" type switch, with 4 A female and 2 B female connectors. You can assign any of the four inputs coming into the A ports to any of the two B ports. The key to make it work, is not a assign more than one A port to the B port facing your DVR, since you can only have one EHD connected to a single drive. I am currently using 3 EHD with one DVR and have no issues switching between the different EHDs. No need to power down the EHD, or replug USB cables. It is manufactured by Kensington, model number 33901.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...