Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pictures goes blank for 1-2 Seconds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JackDobiash

JackDobiash

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

For the past week or so both my 622 and 722 have had this really strange issue, so far only noticed on premium channels (i'll start keeping track of it better) where the picture goes blank for 1-2 seconds, still has audio, them comes back. It doesn't pixelate or anything, just blanks out and comes right back. It's actually recorded into the stream, as it will playback the 'blank' as well if I rewind.

So, anyone else had this issue? It might just be the programming itself, I'll start keeping better track of it but it seems like so far it has only been premium channels doing it.
ViP622 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Sony KDS-60A2000 60" SXRD RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (20GB)
ViP722 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Samsung HL61A750 61" LED DLP RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (60GB)
Programming - Americas Everything Pak + Portland Locals, HD + Platinum, DHPP (Service)
DishNetwork Customer since 1998

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

For the past week or so both my 622 and 722 have had this really strange issue, so far only noticed on premium channels (i'll start keeping track of it better) where the picture goes blank for 1-2 seconds, still has audio, them comes back. It doesn't pixelate or anything, just blanks out and comes right back. It's actually recorded into the stream, as it will playback the 'blank' as well if I rewind.

So, anyone else had this issue? It might just be the programming itself, I'll start keeping better track of it but it seems like so far it has only been premium channels doing it.

Generally speaking, but not always, if an issue is captured on the recording, it is stream related.

That does not mean the issue is not within your dish system. For example, if you come to find out, all of the channels experiencing the issue are transmitted from the same orbital and/or transponder, the issue could be with your dish antenna point, LNB, or cabling for that particular orbital location.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:19 PM

Yes, I've been experiencing the same thing. As yours, mine only happens on recorded HBO movies. Fine on other channels. It seems to have started last week some time.

#4 OFFLINE   mercator1

mercator1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:59 PM

It's amazing to me that these kinds of issues are tolerated. I've had several DirecTV/Tivo units, and never once had sound or picture dropouts. What's with Dish?

#5 OFFLINE   JackDobiash

JackDobiash

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:04 AM

Ah-ha, I found this thread in the HD General forum, seems to be either a software or source issue:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=140198
ViP622 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Sony KDS-60A2000 60" SXRD RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (20GB)
ViP722 w/500GB EHD - Connected to Samsung HL61A750 61" LED DLP RPTV and Sony Playstation 3 (60GB)
Programming - Americas Everything Pak + Portland Locals, HD + Platinum, DHPP (Service)
DishNetwork Customer since 1998

#6 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

I’ve been seeing this problem with just about all SAT delivered HD content, both live and recorded ~ though the recorded version does not exactly mimic the live occurrence. That leads me to think that they may have a newly introduced problem (ala Turbo-ware updates) in their render engine or stream management logics. Most frequently the Starz premium channels are affected, but no HD content seems to be immune. I also see that some posters are starting to report about the same problem occuring with OTA HD content as well (I personally don’t use OTA so can’t comment on it).

The problem has been ongoing since Dish began sending out the Turbo version software releases about a month ago. I for one noticed it right away, but for some reason many are only now starting to report about it. Hopefully now that they are Dish will finally get the message and begin working on a fix.

So...Let’s get it fixed Dish… :lol:

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

I am also seeing this issue and I don't think it is TurboHD related. I have seen it both on OTA and HD content. I saw it last night on Fringe and the other night during Hereos. Hereos was recorded OTA content. Definitely feels like a source issues since I can rewind and it replies at the same time all the time, but given it appears in both OTA and Sat content for me I don't think it is stream related and appears to be something introduced with L6.14 but I could be wrong.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

I am also seeing this issue and I don't think it is TurboHD related. I have seen it both on OTA and HD content. I saw it last night on Fringe and the other night during Hereos. Hereos was recorded OTA content. Definitely feels like a source issues since I can rewind and it replies at the same time all the time, but given it appears in both OTA and Sat content for me I don't think it is stream related and appears to be something introduced with L6.14 but I could be wrong.

Source issues with all these ~ both SAT and OTA? And that it coincides with the recent Turbo SW releases? I suppose so...But I'm still more inclined to believe that they've messed up some part of the firmware in the receivers. ;)

I'd be curious to hear if anyone is seeing this problem on a non-turbo firmware receiver... Anybody still left out there with an old 921 who's also seeing this blanking problem? :confused:

John

Two ViP622s - DPP-44 - Three Dish500s: #1 (110°/119° - Twin), #2 (61.5° - Dual), #3 (129° - Dual)

#9 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

My 622 does this about once a week for maybe a fraction of a second. Not too bad.
Fred

spam firewall