Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

no smart card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmtar

cmtar

Icon

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

I just got my vip722 a few days ago and i have been watching everything works fine and in the card slot....there is no card. how is that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

The ViP receivers have an embedded card that work with the current encryption system. You will be getting a new smart card within a couple of months before DISH switches to the new encryption system.
Bill R

#3 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:43 AM

So just to clarify, all VIP's 722, 622, 612's will be getting smart cards?

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

Yes. And most of them will be going out before the end of the year. New receivers just being installed should have the new cards but some dealers have some "old" stock.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

Yes. And most of them will be going out before the end of the year. New receivers just being installed should have the new cards but some dealers have some "old" stock.

At some point, and maybe already, some receivers will have the NEW purple smart card builtin as well. Elsewhere someone posted the S number that will show if the new card is builtin.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#6 OFFLINE   etzeppy

etzeppy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:18 AM

I probably missed this posted elsewhere, but why are the smart cards changing?

#7 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:39 AM

Etzeppy,

DISH Network now uses the Nagrastar 2 encryption system. It has been comprised and is being replaced with the Nagrastar 3 encryption system. New cards (the purple one) are required to decrypt the Nagrastar 3 satellite signal.
Bill R

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

At some point, and maybe already, some receivers will have the NEW purple smart card builtin as well. Elsewhere someone posted the S number that will show if the new card is builtin.

Actually Sxxx number doesn't reveal the generation, more appropriate to check DNASP and Revision after pressing Menu twice and selecting Next. Other site members checked those IDs and found embedded G3 smart card reported as 241/DshH02.

#9 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

Not of great consequence, but my Menu-Menu shows
DNASP241 DshH02
directly. Selecting Next was new (to ME) for transferring Remote settings to the receiver. I don't have a 10.1 UHF Pro remote to use it, but I hadn't seen the screens previously.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

Not of great consequence, but my Menu-Menu shows
DNASP241 DshH02
directly. Selecting Next was new (to ME) for transferring Remote settings to the receiver. I don't have a 10.1 UHF Pro remote to use it, but I hadn't seen the screens previously.

That's the IDs what ppl getting from new DVRs/IRDs with embedded smart card and new purple G3 smart card.

So, if you see that characters, you're set for Eeastern Arc and for newest NagraStar encryption.

#11 OFFLINE   jkramer5

jkramer5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

I got a new smart card for my VIP622 just a couple days ago. It never required one before. The above must be the reason why.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...