Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Altoona and State College, PA

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

TV Fool is showing a digital and analog signal on channel 32 in Altoona. This is shown for both pre- and post transition. Likewise for the State College translators on channels 36 and 39. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I don't understand how an analog and digital signal can occupy the same channel and same transmitter site without interference.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

According to the FCC database, WTAJ in Altoona currently broadcasts analog on channel 10 and digital on channel 32. Post-transistion, the digital broadcast will continue on channel 32.

The W36BE and W39BE translators for WNEP are currently analog and will switch to digital next February.

#3 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

The W36BE and W39BE translators for WNEP are currently analog and will switch to digital next February.

You may want to call the Chief Engineer and verify that.

Translator, Low-power, and Class-A stations are not bound by the February 17, 2009 deadline.

So they can flash-cut (turn off analog - replace with digital on the same channel) those whenever they'd like.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#4 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:48 PM

According to the FCC database, WTAJ in Altoona currently broadcasts analog on channel 10 and digital on channel 32. Post-transistion, the digital broadcast will continue on channel 32.

Thanks Upstream. The analog signal I was referring to on channel 32 is WTOO-CA. It's a 36 kW translator that is not going away anytime soon. The GM of WTAJ told me that analog and digital signals can occupy the same channel, and after some looking on the FCC site I see this is true. That was news to me. But these two signals practically occupy the same tower site!

I'm surprised, and the FCC protection ratio for analog into digital is only 1.81 dB. I would think interference would be a problem, and it certainly seems to be the case in my situation.

Your comment regarding 36 and 39 makes sense, even though tvfool.com says these two channels are both digital and analog (tvfool.com has been wrong before). My digital converter won't find them, even though they are LOS. So it's either another case of co-channel analog/digital interference, or they are transmitting analog only.

#5 OFFLINE   Sammer

Sammer

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Upstream. The analog signal I was referring to on channel 32 is WTOO-CA. It's a 36 kW translator that is not going away anytime soon.
I'm surprised, and the FCC protection ratio for analog into digital is only 1.81 dB. I would think interference would be a problem, and it certainly seems to be the case in my situation.

Your comment regarding 36 and 39 makes sense, even though tvfool.com says these two channels are both digital and analog (tvfool.com has been wrong before). My digital converter won't find them, even though they are LOS. So it's either another case of co-channel analog/digital interference, or they are transmitting analog only.

It already went away, the WTOO-CA license is now for channel 50 and why the FCC database hasn't been updated is anyone's guess. As for 36 and 39 their digital licenses are for displacement of the analogs.

#6 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

It already went away, the WTOO-CA license is now for channel 50 and why the FCC database hasn't been updated is anyone's guess. As for 36 and 39 their digital licenses are for displacement of the analogs.

Thanks for your help. It didn't make sense to me, so I wrote to the FCC and actually got a response. They said exactly what you wrote, with no explanation as to why there is conflicting info in their data base. Even the GM for WTAJ didn't realize WTOO-CA was no longer on ch 32.

Am I correct that channels 36 and 39 are still analog, and will flash cut to digital in February?

Any idea why WNEP is on both 36 and 39?

Thanks again.

#7 OFFLINE   Sammer

Sammer

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:57 PM

Am I correct that channels 36 and 39 are still analog, and will flash cut to digital in February?

Any idea why WNEP is on both 36 and 39?

Thanks again.

Unless that's a mistake in the database too I don't know why two identical stations on different channels are listed. For some reason I used to think they had different power levels and directional patterns. Something along the lines of one was aimed more toward Nittany Valley while the other was aimed more toward Penns Valley maybe because that would at least make sense. Happy Valley can of course be considered to be in neither (and generally is) or in both valleys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...