Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Giving up on EHD....refund?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

I finally unplugged my WD Essentials 500gb drive because I was sick of the constant pop ups and errors trying to transfer stuff to it. I am going to forget about the whole HDD thing and just live with the space I have.

Has any one been successful getting a refund for the HDD activation? I dont feel that this functionality is anywhere near a point where they should charge extra for it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you ever try a different hard drive?

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:11 AM

Gee I've got three WD Essentials that work great on my ViP722 and ViP612. Too bad because it's a real useful function.

#4 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:27 AM

I finally unplugged my WD Essentials 500gb drive because I was sick of the constant pop ups and errors trying to transfer stuff to it. I am going to forget about the whole HDD thing and just live with the space I have.

Has any one been successful getting a refund for the HDD activation? I dont feel that this functionality is anywhere near a point where they should charge extra for it.

Sorry, you are having problems with your WDE 500. My WDE is flawless. Have you determined if it is a problem with the WDE 500 or your DVR? A correctly working EDH might be worth spending just a little more time on.
Fred

#5 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:09 AM

I finally unplugged my WD Essentials 500gb drive because I was sick of the constant pop ups and errors trying to transfer stuff to it.

I have two of those models and two other WD essentials of other sizes. They work great on my ViP 622 and 722 receivers.

What popup are you getting? Have you tried a different USB cable? You just might have a bad drive. It might be worth putting it on your PC and formatting it (you will lose everything on it) and see if it formats (with no errors) on your PC.

I really do think DISH ought to provide more tools on the ViP receivers to troubleshoot external drive problems. When you add a new hard drive the receiver just does a quick (Linux) format on it but really does not do a good job of checking if the drive has surface problems. Of course, new drives should not have problems but, unfortunately, some do.
Bill R

#6 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

I have not tried a different drive. I dont have another one and I'm not going to buy one when I already have a perfectly good one. I have tried reformatting it, but it hasn't helped.

I noticed that the 622 seems to be constantly accessing the drive for some reason. Its activity light never stops even if I haven't used it in days. The dvr is constantly saying a drive has been disconnected. Then a couple minutes later it says a drive has been connected, do I want to manage it. Plus, very rarely will it actually download a program to the drive with out it failing.

#7 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

Has the receiver ever been replaced?
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#8 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

I had my original 622 replaced for constant reboots, but that was well over a year ago.

#9 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

So you're giving up without having tried to replace either piece of equipment?
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#10 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

Unless Dish is willing to replace the 622 for free, I'm not interested. I know the drive is good and I dont want to screw around trying to find one that may work. It shouldn't be such a pain to get a simple USB2 drive to work.

#11 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

Well, i can say with a fair amount of certainty that they aren't going to give a refund without at least having replaced the receiver and/or the hard drive. Call in and from what I've seen, you can probably get the receiver replaced. If that doesn't work, try another hard drive. If still no go, then persue a refund. At least, that's what I would do, and what they will probably see as reasonable.

-Puck

#12 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:59 AM

Poppin_fresh,

It is unlikely, but you could have a bad USB port. If you are using the back USB port, try the one on the front of the receiver. You can use either one (but only one at a time).
Bill R

#13 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

I had my original 622 replaced for constant reboots, but that was well over a year ago.

It's been well documented here that some 622's have issues with external drives. I think if you call Dish they will work with you on getting a replacement. I finally had to upgrade to a 722 to get rid of the EHD problems with my 622.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

poppin_fresh - if you haven't already, you should try a different USB cable, as well as the other USB port on your 622. If you're seeing the disconnected/do you want to manage popups quite a bit, it sounds to me like a connection problem or a problem with your cable.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#15 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have a ton of USB cables laying around so trying a new one shouldn't be a problem. I really hope the solution isn't the from port. I would hate to have a cable permanently sticking out from there.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...