Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Polk Audio SurroundBar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:09 AM

I just moved into an apartment and don't want to string wires for my surround system. Anyone have any experience with the Polk Audio SurroundBar?
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Not the polk one, but I have heard to Yamaha one and it was pretty decent.

Obviously not quite as good as dedicated speakers in each location, but as long as you have a pretty standard square type room, it sounded pretty darn good. Was not as good in an open space though as it did not have anything to reflect the sound off of.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

The SurroundBar or the SurroundBar 50?

I don't have either, but can mention a couple of things:

1. The SurroundBar 50 is one of Home Theater Magazines top pics, but they don't recommend the regular SurroundBar.
2. As with any soundbar, it's dependent upon your room. If you have one wall that's just sheetrock and another that has a curtained window, it might not work that well. It's designed to "bounce" sound off of existing wall. For the same reason, if the soundbar isn't centered on the wall (with equal distance between it and the adjoining walls), it might not work well either (sound from one side will arrive to your ears at a slightly different time than sound from the other side which will create and echo effect).
3. If you can center your TV, your room is fairly symmetrical and you don't have any accoustical issues, the SurroundBar 50 should work well for you.
4. The ZVOX 425 is also a top pick and it's a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 50.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

ZVOX works with your existing system, or no? I have three optical inputs and don't want fewer.

The room isn't perfect for such a thing, but it need not be perfect. Once I can sell my house in Michigan in a year or two, I hope to buy something out here and I'll build speaker wire into the room. ;)
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

I did a pretty long demo of the Polk SurroundBar and didn't end up buying it. it would have been good for my room if I had only one person, but I ended up feeling that the surround "zone" was too small for more than one person at a time. I didn't think that the sound was weird or out of phase when out of that zone but I did not get the surround effect.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

As stated above, soundbar performance is tied to room dynamics (size, shape, placement, wall material). At best, you get 3.1 sound with apparent rear surround depending on your seating position. In a less than ideal situation, you'll lose that rear surround feel.
If you don't have an existing HT receiver, you could consider a Home Theater in a box (HTIB) system with wireless rears for the same price as a quality soundbar.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#7 OFFLINE   phantom52

phantom52

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:09 AM

Try the ZVOX 550. Nothing to lose right now with the offer they have on. 30 days if you don't like it send it back, they pay shipping both ways. It has also got some great reviews.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...