Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recent ViP DVR Software Releases a Cumulative Fiasco?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   OkieDave

OkieDave

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:15 AM

I have the audio problems with the Oklahoma City ABC and Fox satellite feeds.

I think that a lot of people have this problem, but don't realize it. I checked for the problem using every output option on my VIP622: HDMI, SPDIF (Optical digital ) in both Dolby Digital and PCM formats, Analog (RCA Jacks), and RF. They all have the dropout problem, but it is much more noticeable and irritating with HDMI. The HDMI dropouts often last for several seconds, while the dropouts on the other connections are very short duration, just about unnoticable. You almost have to already know there is a problem before you notice it on anything but HDMI.

I haven't checked for the dropouts on ESPN, but I suspect they're there. I also came across a show recorded prior to the "Turbo Upgrade" that now has audio problems. It's an episode of Soundstage, recorded 11-8-07 from RAVE, channel 9470. The software version on my VIP622 was L447 at that time. This show now has these same audio problems, but it played perfectly prior to the "Upgrade."

Has anyone else encountered recordings made before the "Turbo Upgrade" with these problems?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:40 AM

No problems here with audio drops - we're amongst the lucky ones that haven't ever had them. We have seen the pixellation go up, mostly on Encore HD - several movies we've recorded from there have been unwatchable but we'll dvr a later showing and it will be fine so I think the problem is more with the streaming on Encore HD than anything else. Have seen occasional video drops (black screen while audio plays on).

The trick play (skip forward, skip back, fast forward, rewind) is another aggravating story altogether. It's something that has been repeatedly fixed, then broken, fixed again, then broken again. Now it's been broken for probably the last three software downloads and it's worse than ever. I tried using the skip back last night on something recorded from Chiller. Hit it three times and it jumped back 15 minutes. Really getting tired of seeing this broken every time they come out with software that has some great new feature and then it takes several software downloads to make it work again only to have it broken on the next software download! Last year, they managed to fix it in time for football but not this year.

Sigh, rant over.
:soapbox:

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

#23 OFFLINE   jkramer5

jkramer5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:45 AM

I watch approx 89 hours (according to my recording schedule) of recorded content every 2 weeks. I have seen and heard glitches in both audio and video (HDMI video and optical Audio for my setup) but for the most part it hasn't been a big deal.

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

I watch approx 89 hours (according to my recording schedule) of recorded content every 2 weeks. I have seen and heard glitches in both audio and video (HDMI video and optical Audio for my setup) but for the most part it hasn't been a big deal.

Well, you're recording schedule sounds like mine.

From your previous posts, I can tell you have a 622. Where in are you in Northern California, in the San Francisco DMA or Sacramento DMA? I have not had anyone in the Bay Area who watches alot of recorded KTVU 2 Fox and KGO 7 ABC in hidef through a 622 or 722 say they haven't had enough audio dropout on something that it was almost unwatchable, and most say it is so frequent that some programs are unrecordable in HD.

Also, "for the most part it hasn't been a big deal" implies that at least once it was significant whatever the "it" was. Would you mind elaborating some?

Any additional information would help.:)

#25 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

I tend to classify things as watchable vs unwatchable. If I was archiving for "permanent" keeping then I'd care more about even small problems... but when the skips are just a second and only right after a commercial break... then I can watch and enjoy those shows still. However, when it is doing it for an entire half-hour show like Simpsons then it becomes unenjoyable and unwatchable and those are the ones I complain most about.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#26 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:36 PM

I have the audio problems with the Oklahoma City ABC and Fox satellite feeds.

..........I also came across a show recorded prior to the "Turbo Upgrade" that now has audio problems. It's an episode of Soundstage, recorded 11-8-07 from RAVE, channel 9470. The software version on my VIP622 was L447 at that time. This show now has these same audio problems, but it played perfectly prior to the "Upgrade."

Has anyone else encountered recordings made before the "Turbo Upgrade" with these problems?

Welcome to the club, OkieDave. I feel your pain and experience EXACTLY the same issues. RAVE's Soundstage shows are some of the prized possesions I have stored on my EHD. They were recorded around Release 4.49 and many are now completely unwatchable due to the dropouts. Prior to the new software, they played fine. I'm hoping that when this current issue is ultimately resolved, the recordings will return to normal. Hang in there.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#27 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hah, I see I'm not the only one hanging onto those old Rave Soundstage recordings. Makes me remember how good the quality of the VOOM channels used to be.

I haven't tried playing one recently, I think I will and see if I get dropouts.

#28 OFFLINE   alangant

alangant

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

I have a 622 and a 722, and before about 4-5 weeks ago, I had never noticed an audio dropout. Now, however, they occur frequently on local channels (Dallas, TX DMA).

The only problem I had previously with these boxes is the low and often unwatchable content from the 129 satellite. Everything on 110 and 119 comes in just fine.

I ONLY watch previously recorded content, my video feed is via HDMI through a Yamaha receiver, and my audio drop is via optical to the Yamaha.

Also, I added EHD one week ago, so my audio dropouts pre-dated EHD.

Thanks to those of you who have donated your boxes to Echostar to assist in their analysis. I did get an email back from the quality department stating that they were examining the problem via some customer-supplied examples.
- Alan
Samsung HL-R6168W(TR61X2), Polk Audio RM7500, Dishnetwork DVRs(722/622/508/501), Yamaha RX-V2600 AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES DVD, Panasonic DMR-EZ17K DVD recorder, Panasonic LX600 Laserdisc, ChannelMaster 4228 UHF antenna.

#29 OFFLINE   rohdem

rohdem

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:34 PM

I also have the replay button problem and it is very, very aggravating!! I click to go back 8 seconds (or whatever it is) and it will often send me back to the beginning of the recording. I believe it has happened going forward also (30 sec forward), but doesn't happen as often.

#30 OFFLINE   like2dish

like2dish

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

I just added a posting about data dumps and noticed this question about potential issues with the internal harddrive. Anyway...here's some possibly related info.

We have a ViP 722.
Skip, fast forward, rewind...all of these do weird things for us. One small skip can send you way to the beginning or end of a show.:nono2:
We came home this weekend to find our internal drive wiped nearly clean. Only three tv shows left from what had been an equivalent of 45 hours of HD quality data.
DISH is at a loss for explaining what might have happened. DVR seems to check out OK with them.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

Connect the 722 to Internet and send all logs to Dish from Diag menu.

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:02 AM

Connect the 722 to Internet and send all logs to Dish from Diag menu.

Cool. Any info on how that works exactly? What do they get in the way of logs?

#33 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:12 AM

Do not send your logs to Dish unless Dish requested that you do so!! This has been mentioned before but I cannot re-iterate enough. Logs without personal experience and information surrounding an event are of minimal use and I am sure they are deleted if there is no one actually looking for them coming.

One more time.. Only send your receiver logs to Dish when requested. Dish does not need a lot of unrequested logs landing on their door stop and most likely they would just get tossed into the bin bucket.

As for what is in them? Having had experienced in past trouble shooting embedded hardware issues, my guess is there is various pieces of info that may or may not help in troubleshooting a problem. Sometimes you got lucky and there is enough left of the corpse to root cause the issue. Other times it was so messed up that you could even tell what went where.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#34 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:22 AM

Ok. Thanks Ron. But I will keep this in mind for a potential protest movement.:D

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,254 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:31 AM

Just remember ... if you interfere with DISH's operations it does not help get the problem solved. It may feel good to "strike back" in some sort of "revenge" ... but it would not help fix the actual problem and could even get in the way of DISH getting information from a customer or tester from which they requested information.

If DISH asks you to send logs great! Do so following their instructions explicitly. If DISH does not ask please leave their bandwidth open for requested logs. Denial of service isn't a good thing. :)

#36 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:03 AM

And remember each receiver has unique hardware and smartcard numbers. You can be sure those are part of the data sent in the logs. If you became a problem for them with uploaded logs you can personally be identified from the uploaded data. They know who you are and where you live!
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#37 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,548 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Gee. The '60's really are dead.

#38 OFFLINE   Bill_K

Bill_K

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:11 PM

As some of you know, two of us, moman19 and I, are working with Echostar Engineering on the audio dropout issue. In PM exchanges the two of us have been discussing what's going on with our recordings and how there are problems we are both experiencing that seem greater than just the HD ABC and Fox dropouts.

Right now we both are having the feeling that things are going the wrong way even though "new features" are being added. As moman19 described it to me: The thing is we both sent in our boxes with recordings containing bad audio to Engineering and got replacement boxes which have the same problem. We both really like the basics of the ViP DVR series. We both have ViP722's and he has a ViP622 while I have a ViP612. Our AV setups are completely different and we are in different parts of the country. And we both remember that before L4.49 it did not seem that these problems were so widespread if they existed at all. Nor did we see so many postings spread out on many threads describing what appear to be the same many problems.

Are there alot of you who watch alot of recorded programming, usually but not exclusively from local network channels, that are not experiencing such intermittent problems as audio dropout, jerky video, freezes when starting a recording, "skip" difficulties, or other problems that might particularly be identified as having something to do with internal hard drive interaction with the rest of the ViP DVR system?

I am in the San Francisco DMA and regularly have audio drop outs, jerky video, and macro blocking on HD channels. I have also encountered one recording of the Leno program last week with no audio for the entire show! I have to agree with the original poster that 'things' are getting worse. In fact, I have been a Dish subscriber for more than 12 years and never experienced as many problems as I encounter today.

#39 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

Do not send your logs to Dish unless Dish requested that you do so!! This has been mentioned before but I cannot re-iterate enough. Logs without personal experience and information surrounding an event are of minimal use and I am sure they are deleted if there is no one actually looking for them coming.

One more time.. Only send your receiver logs to Dish when requested. Dish does not need a lot of unrequested logs landing on their door stop and most likely they would just get tossed into the bin bucket.

As for what is in them? Having had experienced in past trouble shooting embedded hardware issues, my guess is there is various pieces of info that may or may not help in troubleshooting a problem. Sometimes you got lucky and there is enough left of the corpse to root cause the issue. Other times it was so messed up that you could even tell what went where.

The last time I sent Dish log files, they sent me a USB flash drive and it recorded the information and I sent it back to Dish. They paid for shipping, of course. Unsolicited log files, I'm sure, are a waste of everyone's time.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

You probably is not aware, but your DVR sending a lot of info EACH week.

Now think for while - ALL DVRs connected to phone and/or Internet sending logs each week.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...