Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recent ViP DVR Software Releases a Cumulative Fiasco?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   SteveRS

SteveRS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

IfI was to call Echostar over the last 8 years for the myriad of audio and video problems, it would be a complete waste of my time.
I have had the 6000, 921 and now 622.

I have learned that the techs just cannot seem to find a solution or do not want to find a solution.
Face it, we are a very small minority with high end home theaters. We notice every audio dropout and video anomaly while most people do not.

I have learned to live with the inferior quality of Dish Network.
However my daughter wonders how I can put up with all the audio and video problems she has witnessed over the years.

It is a lost cause people. Accept it or move on because you will never see a solution from Echostar.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

You probably is not aware, but your DVR sending a lot of info EACH week.

Now think for while - ALL DVRs connected to phone and/or Internet sending logs each week.

I probably is aware. When Tech Support wanted Log Data, they sent me a USB drive.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#43 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

Perhaps you missed - each week each DVR/IRD sending logs if it connected to phone line ot Internet.
Regardless of your mood or wishes !

PS. Will be interesting to know how you force DVR to write those logs to USB drive. I suggest you used same menu what everyone could see.

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

Perhaps you missed - each week each DVR/IRD sending logs if it connected to phone line ot Internet.

The most salient point being that DISH requests those logs via phone line or Internet. They are not sent to DISH unsolicited.

PS. Will be interesting to know how you force DVR to write those logs to USB drive. I suggest you used same menu what everyone could see.

Obviously DISH hasn't asked you for logs via USB or you would know. (When I did it I just plug in the thumb drive and it took care of itself.)

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

And you didn't had a courage and didn't read the drive before and after ?

"The most salient point being that DISH requests those logs via phone line or Internet." - nope, the your DVR is sending logs unsolicited each week. No requests from Dish. Nada. Nicht.

#46 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

I suggest you don't know what you're talking about, broken English not withstanding. I plugged in the USB drive and the system reset then wrote to the USB drive then reset again. I mailed the USB drive back to Dish.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#47 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

And you didn't had a courage and didn't read the drive before and after ?

I'm not a hacker ...

"The most salient point being that DISH requests those logs via phone line or Internet." - nope, the your DVR is sending logs unsolicited each week. No requests from Dish. Nada. Nicht.

Who told the receiver to send the logs each (alleged) week? That's the solicitation. DISH has set what gets sent and when. The regular status/log transfers are not user generated spam of DISH Network's servers.

#48 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

Nobody told them - it's hardcoded in FW. Once for while. I wouldn't call it solicitation.

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:53 PM

DISH doesn't know that they designed and coded their own receivers to report in and what they report?
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

#50 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:28 AM

Moderation warning

Ok.. We have wondered off topic here and I think the point of Dish Logs has been covered sufficiently.

Given the location of this thread, its topic, and the no bash rule of this forum we are keeping a close watch on this thread so if you want to participate please do so in a constructive manner and remember you are in a No Bash zone.

Thanks...
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#51 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,431 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:45 AM

Sorry that this seems to have gotten focused on the logs.

I'm posting this in the three threads related to the audio problem. I have been hearing some slight audio dropout in channels other than ABC and Fox locals. Nothing real obvious, but it was there. Tonight on NCIS (recorded from the San Francisco local CBS local KPIX 5) there was a significant dropout during the previews for next week which I could "skip" back on and have dropout again but in different spots.

Sigh.... Yes, I reported it to Echostar Engineering.

#52 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

Sorry that this seems to have gotten focused on the logs.

I'm posting this in the three threads related to the audio problem. I have been hearing some slight audio dropout in channels other than ABC and Fox locals. Nothing real obvious, but it was there. Tonight on NCIS (recorded from the San Francisco local CBS local KPIX 5) there was a significant dropout during the previews for next week which I could "skip" back on and have dropout again but in different spots.

Sigh.... Yes, I reported it to Echostar Engineering.

Ditto. I am suddenly noticing dropouts on the local CBS affiliate. This is news because in the past, such drops were only obvious on Fox and ABC in my home.

Could they be possibly swapping things around to see if anything changes????
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#53 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

Given the recent off topic posting and the fact that this one seems to be getting similar posts to the Audio thread causing some fracturing, I am going to close this thread. Please continue to post your Audio issues in the audio sticky thread.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...