Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can the Vip722 be turned off?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fst96se

fst96se

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Can the Vip722 be actually turned off?

I will be putting it in a dedicated theater room, and would like to really only have it be on when I need it. The room is small, and I canerned about heat and noise.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   swissy

swissy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

The only way to have it "off" is too unplug it. It will always be in standby mode when plugged in.

Mine doesn't normally have the fan running while in standby, so it should be plenty quiet. As for heat, it just needs to be well ventilated.
Peter

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

It does "need to be on" in standby mode to receive guide and software updates. If you unplug it, you will be doing a "hard reboot" every time you start it up which could involve what seems like a substantial waiting time to get a guide update.

Heat is an issue only if you do not have adequate ventilation space on both sides. You can use supplemental fans to keep the box cool, but then noise starts to be a problem.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

If you truly turned it off, via power strip or other means... then you would not get nightly EPG updates so your guide info would be horribly out of date quickly. You also would not be able to schedule any timers to record anything while it is off... so you'd pretty much be invalidating much of the value in having the DVR.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...