Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I "sell" an HR20-700?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   edmartin

edmartin

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

I understand that all hardware is leased but about 2 years ago, I paid $300 for my HR20-700. I just upgraded to an HR22. I'd like to transfer my old HR20-700 to someone else (and hopefully get a few dollars for it). But if I give or sell it to someone, can they activate it?
HR22-100

HR20-700 (x2)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

I understand that all hardware is leased but about 2 years ago, I paid $300 for my HR20-700. I just upgraded to an HR22. I'd like to transfer my old HR20-700 to someone else (and hopefully get a few dollars for it). But if I give or sell it to someone, can they activate it?

No .. "Lease" means that you don't own it, DIRECTV does. The receiver needs to go back to DIRECTV or you may be charged $470 for not returning it.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:49 PM

2 years ago weren't there both leased and owned? my r15 was listed as owned by D* and 3 seperate CSR's confirmed that for me. so I yanked the drive and threw the rest of the junk.
the r10 bought just before the r15 was also listed as owned and was allowed to be sold.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#4 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 06 October 2008 - 01:52 PM

2 years ago weren't there both leased and owned? my r15 was listed as owned by D* and 3 seperate CSR's confirmed that for me. so I yanked the drive and threw the rest of the junk.
the r10 bought just before the r15 was also listed as owned and was allowed to be sold.

When HR20's were introduced, DirecTV had long since gone to the lease-only model. Unless the OP paid close to $600 for his HR20 or has it listed as owned, he can't sell it.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:06 PM

Most HR2x receivers are leased .. there are some exceptions but the general rule is that they are leased.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:18 PM

The only "owned" ones I have encountered were swaps/upgrades for owned HR10's which were all owned, I believe.

#7 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:23 PM

I guess I would stress checking with a csr before doing anything. then check with 2 more at different times :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#8 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:40 PM

I guess I would stress checking with a csr before doing anything. then check with 2 more at different times :)

And if they say it's owned be sure to document every facet of the call (date, time name of CSR and rep #, the color shoes you were wearing, etc).

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

And if they say it's owned be sure to document every facet of the call (date, time name of CSR and rep #, the color shoes you were wearing, etc).

If that thing is working correctly, I'll give him a hundred bucks for it. If he's got an eBay account, I suppose he could list it for more than the $470 that D* is gonna nail him for. Wonder how much they are going for? Just went to eBay and they are going for at least $200 and they are mostly HR20-700s. Doesn't look like he could get enough to offset the penalty price of the HR.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

Those on eBay are likely leases offered by authorized dealers. If not, then they are likely leased units that will be worthless to the buyers. If the seller notes that it is owned and not a lease, D* will likely cancel the auction as they do not allow resale of their D*-branded receivers. They claim it is a violation of software licensing terms. (BTDT).

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

Those on eBay are likely leases offered by authorized dealers.

Nope, just people selling them.

If not, then they are likely leased units that will be worthless to the buyers. If the seller notes that it is owned and not a lease, D* will likely cancel the auction as they do not allow resale of their D*-branded receivers. They claim it is a violation of software licensing terms. (BTDT).

And yet they are still there. I just called the Protection Plan and they said there would be no problem from their end. Just call up and activate it. If you doubt me, call them.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

Nope, just people selling them.

Rich, many of those auctions, especially the ones that include a sealed access card, are authorized dealers. They may try not to look that way, but they are. D* is very serious about its policies and they have some very sophisticated automated software (i.e. VeRO) on eBay to prevent unauthorized individuals from selling access cards. I went round and round with their legal department and eBay about this when I tried to sell my owned R15. Oh, and some sellers do get around this with one-day listings as it usually takes VeRO a few days to react.

And yet they are still there. I just called the Protection Plan and they said there would be no problem from their end. Just call up and activate it. If you doubt me, call them.

What do you mean? Are you saying the PP CSR’s will activate any receiver, regardless of its previous owned/leased status?

#13 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

The only "owned" ones I have encountered were swaps/upgrades for owned HR10's which were all owned, I believe.

I own and lease an HR20 each. I own the one that replaced via protection plan an HR10-250, but when I upgraded another HR10 that one was a lease.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

Rich, many of those auctions, especially the ones that include a sealed access card, are authorized dealers. They may try not to look that way, but they are. D* is very serious about its policies and they have some very sophisticated automated software (i.e. VeRO) on eBay to prevent unauthorized individuals from selling access cards. I went round and round with their legal department and eBay about this when I tried to sell my owned R15. Oh, and some sellers do get around this with one-day listings as it usually takes VeRO a few days to react.

What do you mean? Are you saying the PP CSR’s will activate any receiver, regardless of its previous owned/leased status?

I'm assuming these things are "owned". One says: brand new refurbished sealed in cellophane or some such thing. But to get back to your question, yes, that is exactly what I was told. I was pretty sure that would be their answer. What do they care where it is from, as soon as you activate it, it becomes "leased" and is owned by them.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

I own and lease an HR20 each. I own the one that replaced via protection plan an HR10-250, but when I upgraded another HR10 that one was a lease.

Betcha if that one you own goes bad and gets replaced, you will get a leased unit.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

I'm assuming these things are "owned".

And the seller may be assuming the same thing .. In many (heck, maybe most) cases both you and the eBay seller are wrong

#17 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

worse case for ebay is get rid # and call d* to check it.
may get lucky, may not be able to use it.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#18 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

Betcha if that one you own goes bad and gets replaced, you will get a leased unit.

Rich

I wont let them. :D
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#19 OFFLINE   1999cobra

1999cobra

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:26 AM

Better yet record the call on a CD ... :lol: :D

#20 OFFLINE   jjohns

jjohns

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:31 AM

"Can I sell an HR20?"
Sure, see below.

1) Make it look like you are selling it , but in fact you are leasing it, right?
2) Put it in very small writing on the box - or better yet, don't put it anywhere at all - that you are in fact leasing it.
3) Don't let the buyer know that when he purchases it, he is comitting to a two year contract. Keep that fact inconspicuous.
4) But once you've got your mark to lease it and enter into a two year committment contract, change the contract so you can now charge your mark more to get the same high definition channels he got when he bought - no scratch "bought" - "leased" it. You do this by just calling his package a different name and then charge for that other name.
5) Once you've done all this - if your buyer has problems with the unit, send him an older refurbished unit as a replacement and start his two year committment all over again. (Oh yeah, if his original had the antenna built in, send him one without the antenna so he'll have to purchase an antenna too to get what he had.)
6) Now you've done it. Feel good?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...