Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I "sell" an HR20-700?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

Jjohns, that will work for uninformed, head-in-the sand types who don't look into what they are getting into before subscribing.

But anyone who knows enough to find this forum after the fact to complain about such things knew enough to find this forum and read all about it before signing up.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

You can't sell what you don't own.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#23 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

tell that to the people selling oil futures :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

Without offense meant, you CAN sell anything. What you mean is that according to the lease agreement you MAY not sell the leased HRs.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

2 years ago weren't there both leased and owned? .....

i think the lease program started in march or april of '06 IIRC.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

And the seller may be assuming the same thing .. In many (heck, maybe most) cases both you and the eBay seller are wrong

That was an assumption on my part that the HRs for sale on eBay are "owned". Some people have posted that they have "owned" HRs. There is such a post on this thread. If that is the case, you certainly may sell the "owned" HR on eBay.

If these people are selling "leased" units, they are obviously opening up the possibility of getting charged by D* for the cost of the unit. Somewhere around $500, I think. Why would someone do this? Beats me. But, if someone is dumb enough to take a chance like that, I pity the poor fool. I was surprised to see that many HRs for sale. But, they have been sold on eBay since they were first set loose on the public. All you can get for them now is about $200.

Where am I wrong?

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

i think the lease program started in march or april of '06 IIRC.

I got my first HR in November of 06 and it was leased and every one I have gotten since is leased. I think you can buy the HR21 Pro and it shows up as "owned" on your account. Might be wrong, but if I am, a lot of the people who have the Pros are going with the assumption that they "own" them.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

Yes...I beleive that is correct. The Pro's are ownd boxes IIRC.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

Yes...I beleive that is correct. The Pro's are ownd boxes IIRC.

Then there is no reason that you may not sell them on eBay. I did not see any Pros, however. Mostly 20-700s.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

I'm assuming these things are "owned". One says: brand new refurbished sealed in cellophane or some such thing.

When the access card is sealed, that often is an authorized dealer and it is a lease just like “buying” at BestBuy. Like I said, many of these dealers try to make the auction look like it’s for sale by an individual but it’s just another marketing outlet for them.

But to get back to your question, yes, that is exactly what I was told. I was pretty sure that would be their answer. What do they care where it is from, as soon as you activate it, it becomes "leased" and is owned by them.

Yes, that all makes perfect sense except for one small detail: each time a leased receiver changes hands in the secondary market, D* loses the revenue from the up-front lease fees. In all honestly, that is what I do not like about the leasing model.

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

When the access card is sealed, that often is an authorized dealer and it is a lease just like “buying” at BestBuy. Like I said, many of these dealers try to make the auction look like it’s for sale by an individual but it’s just another marketing outlet for them.

Why would an "authorized dealer" sell them on eBay? Did you even go to eBay and see the HRs for sale?

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

Why would an "authorized dealer" sell them on eBay? Did you even go to eBay and see the HRs for sale?

Rich

yes, solid signal has advertised on there before.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

yes, solid signal has advertised on there before.

OK. But did you go to eBay and look at what they are selling now?

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

OK. But did you go to eBay and look at what they are selling now?

Rich

nope, been about 2 months (give or take 2 weeks) since I looked at ebay for receiver.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#35 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

Rich, plenty of authorized dealers for various things use eBay as a marketing tool. It’s partly because eBay reaches a lot of people as opposed to having to wade through “search engines” for a specific website. Also, many people believe that they get a “deal” when buying on eBay. I did just do a search on eBay for “DIRECTV HR2*” and looking at the 35 listings, about half are clearly identified as authorized dealers. There are about 6 or 8 others that I would guess are also dealers as they are selling units with sealed access cards. The rest are probably clueless people who don’t understand (or don’t care) that their receivers are leased. Oh, there is one guy that lists his HR20 as “owned”. I’ve put it on my watch list to see how long it stays online. Most of those get canceled within 3 days. Like I said, I’ve been round and round with D* and eBay on this and they do not allow owned D*-branded receivers to be sold and they catch about 85% of those with VeRO monitoring.

#36 OFFLINE   SENATOR

SENATOR

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I'm gonna resurrect this bad boy!

So, I just canceled my DirecTV service. They asked for my HR22 back but told me I could go ahead and keep the HR20-700 (it's "too old" they said). Does this mean I am free to sell on ebay? Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks!

Dan
HR20-700 release 0x022B
AU9 "Slimline" 5-LNB Dish
Configured: Native OFF | 1080i Pillar | DD ON
HDTV: Panasonic TH-50PX6U connected via Panasonic HDMI & component video to HR20
Home Theater: Pioneer VSX-D608 connected via optical cable to HR20
DVD: Panasonic RP-62
Remote: DirecTV RC32RF (Backlit)

#37 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

So, I just canceled my DirecTV service. They asked for my HR22 back but told me I could go ahead and keep the HR20-700 (it's "too old" they said). Does this mean I am free to sell on ebay? Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks!

Dan

It's probably still listed on your (old) account as leased, so no you wouldn't be able to sell it.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#38 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

It's probably still listed on your (old) account as leased, so no you wouldn't be able to sell it.

This is correct. If it is leased, even if it is non-recoverable (like the HR20s) it can't be activated again with another account. The Access Card team will not do it. Recycle it!
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#39 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

From verifying close to 100 various models listed on eBay in the last month

It's leased with a zero salvage value. Yes you can sell it for "Parts" but the buyer will not be able to activate it as a functional receiver.

Keep your eyes out for the next community e-Waste event

I had an H20 I bought on eBay, it was replaced with a HR21 under combination of the protection plan and good customer for the Receiver to DVR upgrade. My Original HR20 is still consisered leased, it was swapped fr my H10 which was upgraded during the 4MB/2MB conversion

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#40 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thanks!

Dan

Moderator:

About once a week, someone asks about selling an HR20.
The answer is that you "can" sell it, whether it is leased or owned, because DirecTV no longer requires it be sent back ... but the buyer will NOT be able to activate it.

Link: CAUTION!

I have responded a number of times answering this same question, as have others.
Can you whip up and post a conveniently located "sticky" so that we can retire this question, and some unsuspecting buyer doesn't end up with a doorstop?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...