Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coax Cable Coupler causing issues?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bullitt78

bullitt78

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

Hello,

I just installed a new cable run for my second tuner to my HR-21 Reciever and I'm not able to pickup odd numbered transponders. The Cable that I ran is using a coupler in between the run as it was the only way to get a cable to the location of the HR-21. The cables running inbetween the connection are both RG6

The Cables test out good and the connections on them are good, so is there any other way to connect the 2 cables to see if I can get the odd transponders.

Current Setup is 5 LNB Dish, 8 Port Multiplex, Single HR-21.

The Multiplex is connected to ground and Saw some where that it may cause problems so I'm going to test it without.

Thanks for any feedback.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

Hello,

I just installed a new cable run for my second tuner to my HR-21 Reciever and I'm not able to pickup odd numbered transponders. The Cable that I ran is using a coupler in between the run as it was the only way to get a cable to the location of the HR-21. The cables running inbetween the connection are both RG6

The Cables test out good and the connections on them are good, so is there any other way to connect the 2 cables to see if I can get the odd transponders.

Thanks for any feedback.

did you try something like this

Posted Image

I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   bullitt78

bullitt78

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

Yea, just a standard coupler is what is there right now.

#4 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

Yea, just a standard coupler is what is there right now.

a standard barrel should not cause any signal loss

#5 OFFLINE   HarleyDog

HarleyDog

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

a standard barrel should not cause any signal loss

Yes, it CAN.

A standard coaxial barrel connector is only rated to about 1.8GHz and with the new dish and receiver you need something rated to 3GHz. This applies to surge protectors as well.

Look on your barrel connector at the plastic part which has the hole for the center conductor to fit into. It is probably white in color. On the 3GHZ models it will be BLUE.

This should fix your problem

#6 OFFLINE   Hotscot

Hotscot

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

Could the lack of 3GHz barrel connectors affect the signal in such a way to cause or exacerbate 771 errors?

Just wondering if I should change them throughout as I have them to extend the cable also. In fact can you get 3Ghz wallplates too? I'll google that...yes, you can.
Alan

#7 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

Yes, it CAN.

A standard coaxial barrel connector is only rated to about 1.8GHz and with the new dish and receiver you need something rated to 3GHz. This applies to surge protectors as well.

Look on your barrel connector at the plastic part which has the hole for the center conductor to fit into. It is probably white in color. On the 3GHZ models it will be BLUE.

This should fix your problem

Unless the barrel connector is defective, it should be just fine. 3GHZ barrel connectors are somewhat akin to “Monster Cable”. While they may certainly be tested to higher standards, those standards are neither required nor noticeable on practical applications.

#8 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

And is the 771 only occuring on the one tuner with the spliced cable?
D* customer since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   Hotscot

Hotscot

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

It is, Tuner 2. I know I have a lot of diagnostic steps to take. Just gathering all the advice before I begin. Then trying to find time to do it.
Mid 70's and low 80's on 99 c and 103 c
I'll secure the connectors first then try to adjust the satellite dish.

#10 OFFLINE   HarleyDog

HarleyDog

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

Unless the barrel connector is defective, it should be just fine. 3GHZ barrel connectors are somewhat akin to “Monster Cable”. While they may certainly be tested to higher standards, those standards are neither required nor noticeable on practical applications.

Except that's what I had to do at my house. So you're wrong about this. My system worked fine until I upgraded to the 5 LNB dish and the new model DVR. I could not get all channels until install swapped out barrel connectors and removed surge protector. He had already replaced the grounding block on the exterior with the blue plastic centers. It has nothing to do with "Monster Cable", "Bose Speakers", or any other over-marketed hype. It has to do with the signal coming off of the LNB's being at a higher frequency.

#11 OFFLINE   bullitt78

bullitt78

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

Well Awesome. I'll go and get one fo the newer couplers tonight and give that a test.

Thanks for the insite on that one. :)

#12 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Never had a barrel connector not work , no matter what type it was... heck, on one of my hd receiver I have the final run to it with an old barrel connector and rg-59 that was there from my old cable days that was put in back the the early 80's ... ( I was too lazy to rerun the coax to that room) and it works!

No cable rot is a whole other matter.... I have had to clip of coax leads and re do them because of weather that turns the ends green..... I guess I should seal them...

#13 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:31 PM

I had a brand new splitter not work because the little metal springs that clamp on the center conductor of the cable, were loose and did not make good contact with the wire. It was a bear to find because I had just split the dish inputs to a WB68 multiswitch and SWM8. That was 12 possible problem points on the splitters. To say the least it took a while to find the offending connection.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#14 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

I had a brand new splitter not work because the little metal springs that clamp on the center conductor of the cable, were loose and did not make good contact with the wire. It was a bear to find because I had just split the dish inputs to a WB68 multiswitch and SWM8. That was 12 possible problem points on the splitters. To say the least it took a while to find the offending connection.

advice: never use a splitter on a Satellite line (it is ok on the out to TV part, but not the satellite line part)

#15 OFFLINE   HarleyDog

HarleyDog

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:03 PM

Well Awesome. I'll go and get one fo the newer couplers tonight and give that a test.

Thanks for the insite on that one. :)

Oh, by the way, some DirecTV installers are claiming that some of the B-Band converters (the little thing that attaches between your coax and the receiver's "F" connector) are either bad OR the "F" connector on the flying lead of the B-Band convertor is not good. So, try swapping B-Band converters between the two inputs and see if the problem moves to the other tuner. If so, replace the "F" connector on the B-Band converter. If still bad, have DirecTV send a new B-Band converter.

#16 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

Oh, by the way, some DirecTV installers are claiming that some of the B-Band converters (the little thing that attaches between your coax and the receiver's "F" connector) are either bad OR the "F" connector on the flying lead of the B-Band convertor is not good. So, try swapping B-Band converters between the two inputs and see if the problem moves to the other tuner. If so, replace the "F" connector on the B-Band converter. If still bad, have DirecTV send a new B-Band converter.

Try swapping the BBCs AND the lines. If you canget tuner#2 to work the problem is the cable or fittings. If it will not work with the know good line the problem is tuner#2.

Joe

#17 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

advice: never use a splitter on a Satellite line (it is ok on the out to TV part, but not the satellite line part)

The splitter was defective and would not work with any application. Many on here have split the sat inputs the same way and it works well.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#18 OFFLINE   Sleepercell

Sleepercell

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

Again someone injecting there knowlegde without understanding the origanal statement. Splitters work with directv in certain locations only

I reject reality and substitute my own.

I test test test and only report if there are problems. So far only problem.

• Deleted Programs--resolved
  • Blinking screensaver
  • Media share not playing audio any longer
  • limit of 50 series links

#19 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

Again someone injecting there knowlegde without understanding the origanal statement. Splitters work with directv in certain locations only

I agree with you and you will be getting a private message from him when he replies to this tread.
"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

#20 OFFLINE   sswheeler

sswheeler

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

He says 8 port multiplex. What type of multiplex is he using? If it is the wrong one, then he will lose the transponders because proper switching will not work.

HR44-700/AM21

C41

HR21-200
R22-100(HD)
H25-100
D12-100

D12-100
SWM 16
AU9

Exede Internet (Cuz I live in the country and can't get anything else)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...