Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

data dump question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   like2dish

like2dish

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

Help! We came home to find that our 722dvr dumped all our recordings with the exception of 3 recently recorded tv shows. The equivalent of 45 HD hours of data.

Lots of stuff we didn't want to lose.
Our schedule for future recordings was still intact.

Our question...
Anyone have this happen before or have any theories on what it could be? :confused:

Misc. Background Info on things tried.

We chatted with DISH...told them about this and an occassional problem with fastforward and rewind losing our spot....we mentioned the latter in-case it would help with their troubleshooting.

Dish folks tried to check it out...said our DVR health looked good...had us reset the thing...said they would forward the issue on to engineering...and told us to call them back ASAP if it happens again. No complaints...I realize this stuff can be a mystery....but I don't want to lose data like this again.

We do have an EHD and will start backing up everything to it...though that wasn't our intent. We merely wanted to use it for additional storage.

We have been upgraded to software L614.

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:23 PM

Going to have a problem backing up because EHD is for archival not back up. You can only move content back and forth not copy.

As for the issue... I would first go to your DVR schedule and scroll back and see if you see anything unusual?

By you came home? Are you saying that you had 45 hours of HD this morning and tonight you have 3 shows or have you been on vacation to return and find only 3 shows?

Are the 3 shows recently recorded shows. IF they are, it sounds like your drive got wiped. No it is not common, but it has been known to happen on a rare occasion.

If it happens again, I would seriously consider a box swap.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   like2dish

like2dish

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:40 PM

Going to have a problem backing up because EHD is for archival not back up. You can only move content back and forth not copy.

As for the issue... I would first go to your DVR schedule and scroll back and see if you see anything unusual?

By you came home? Are you saying that you had 45 hours of HD this morning and tonight you have 3 shows or have you been on vacation to return and find only 3 shows?

Are the 3 shows recently recorded shows. IF they are, it sounds like your drive got wiped. No it is not common, but it has been known to happen on a rare occasion.

If it happens again, I would seriously consider a box swap.

1. Schedule - couldn't find anything unusual.
2. Came home - I had been on vacation and came back to find only 3 shows...3 new shows that had been scheduled to tape.

Thanks for the advice. We'll do like you suggest and get the box swapped if it happens again.

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

Oh.. have you tried a power cord reset. Should have suggested that earlier but given you had three shows recorded I doubt that would have helped. Another place to look is in Diagnostics. There are some counters relating to the drive. Might be worth taking a look and seeing if there is anything that happens to have large number to it.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

spam firewall