Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP722: Why can't I record two shows simultaneously?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mraviator

mraviator

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

I'm new to Dish, new to satellite TV.

I just got a ViP722 installed running HDTV as the prmary, SD as secondary in single mode. No OTA channels (I get local channels from a 2nd dish/satellite).

I tried recording two shows simultaneously, but it would not let me program it that way. I had to give piority to one show or another. I thought it could do this as long as you're not watching live TV at the same time?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

First off you should be able to record two things at once so I think we need some more info as to what your timers look like around the conflict.

What do you mean by SD as a secondary? If you are in single mode you there should not be a concept of a secondary. TV1 is TV1. Can you PIP Swap?

Are you sure you are in single mode?

Also.. All timers have priority that is how conflicts between two timers at the same time are resolved if you are out of tuner resources to meet the timer needs.

Guess bottom line is we need more info.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   SkipperTW

SkipperTW

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:10 AM

Yes, check if you are in single mode (if not, you may have the issue with HD and SD). In single mode you should be able to record two HD programs.

#4 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

Also, make sure you're not trying to record the same program on both tuners even if one is SD and the other is HD.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:33 AM

Yes, check if you are in single mode (if not, you may have the issue with HD and SD). In single mode you should be able to record two HD programs.

Even in Dual mode you can record two HD or SD programs. The mode does not make any difference in being able to schedule recordings, only in which tuners may be used first. All tuners can record HD and are not limited to SD even in Dual mode.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

Check the daily recording schedule by pressing MENU then 7 on your remote. This will show you what programs might be preventing simultaneous recording.

#7 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:05 AM

What they said ...

As for OTA, even if you have locals somewhere else, if you like to record stuff there, remember if you hook up an antenna, you can record with a THIRD recorder on the OTA channels. That third option can help resolve conflicts.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

Even in Dual mode you can record two HD or SD programs. The mode does not make any difference in being able to schedule recordings, only in which tuners may be used first. All tuners can record HD and are not limited to SD even in Dual mode.

Can you set up two recordings from satellite simultaneously on the same tuner when in Dual User Mode? I thought it had to be set up on separate tuners.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

No. You can set up two recordings from satellite simultaneiusly but each recording always takes a tuner no matter what mode. You still have two sat tuners and the OTA tuner in Dual mode so you can still record 3 programs at once. The mode does not matter in that regard.

The only difference in the modes as far as scheduling recordings is which tuners are used first, depending on your Record Plus setting. From TV1 you can set up all three tuners to be used for recordings. From TV2 you only see the sat channels in the Guide so you can't schedule the OTA tuner (except maybe with a Dishpass (never tried it)).
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

Protected By... spam firewall...And...