Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ESPNU HD not availabe yet?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 849 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

I thought it was coming?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

nope.

#3 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

Any minute now.

You have my word.

[IMG]http://images.google.com/url?q=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/silverbeam/A%2520CSM%2520Blog/car-salesman.jpg&usg=AFQjCNErD0-UjzO5V0he9JPfNqMOP5HOdg[/IMG]

Jeff

#4 OFFLINE   GLJones

GLJones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

If DirecTV waits until after college football season, they may be able to get ESPN to lower the cost on ESPNU HD. Less demand, lower price. Right now, ESPN has the upper hand in negotiations as viewers want it.

#5 OFFLINE   J.T.

J.T.

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

If DirecTV waits until after college football season, they may be able to get ESPN to lower the cost on ESPNU HD. Less demand, lower price. Right now, ESPN has the upper hand in negotiations as viewers want it.

If DirecTV waits too long they will be in an even worse position once the ESPN contract with the SEC kicks in giving ESPNU a whole lot more programming than they currently have.

#6 OFFLINE   jimb726

jimb726

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

On the last thread on this topic (last week, I believe) someone had posted that ESPN has stated that it will not be ready with its HD offering until spring/summer of 2009. For what thats worth.
Hitachi 57XWX20B Rear Projection
HDDVR2
(2) HR20-700's
Sirius Satellite
DirecTv since 1999
RCA R56WH78 Rear Projection
XBox 360
Wii
Ps2
Xbox

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

Little thing called basketball.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:01 PM

There is a Monsterous thread already dealing with this at http://www.dbstalk.c...ht=ESPNUhttp://

That being said, ESPN has made the comment that they expect to negotiate ESPNU-HD carriage agreemements with DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc (the bigger companies) in the near future "based on their enhanced offering as a result of the deal with the SEC that commences with the 2009 football season and the addition of a prime time football game each week beginning the same year".

It is also being said by some of the cable operators that ESPN is seeking a .75¢ bump, in their already ludicrously expensive charges, per subscriber per month.

If you don't already know, ESPN is the single most expensive channel block in the all inclusive basic/expanded basic programming tier.

If the .75¢ number is good... it would represent $162,000,000.00 in addition to the estimated $780,000,000.00 already paid by DirecTV to ESPN. Think DirecTV is going to eat it?
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#9 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:58 AM

There is a Monsterous thread already dealing with this at http://www.dbstalk.c...ht=ESPNUhttp://

That being said, ESPN has made the comment that they expect to negotiate ESPNU-HD carriage agreemements with DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc (the bigger companies) in the near future "based on their enhanced offering as a result of the deal with the SEC that commences with the 2009 football season and the addition of a prime time football game each week beginning the same year".

It is also being said by some of the cable operators that ESPN is seeking a .75¢ bump, in their already ludicrously expensive charges, per subscriber per month.

If you don't already know, ESPN is the single most expensive channel block in the all inclusive basic/expanded basic programming tier.

If the .75¢ number is good... it would represent $162,000,000.00 in addition to the estimated $780,000,000.00 already paid by DirecTV to ESPN. Think DirecTV is going to eat it?

Please provide your sources for this information.

#10 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

just make it al car te {?sp) for a buck a month for those who wnat it

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

Please provide your sources for this information.

I have no link, but have hears the exact same thing from my sources.

ESPN is a high-price content provider, and a further bump will not be met with alot of enthusiasm. I know alot of folks seem to have expressed an interest in ESPN-U....but we all have to keep in mind the big picture here....and we'll probably know before year end what is up with ESPN-U on DirecTV.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

Nothing personal, but a lot of misinformation gets passed around the internet.

Joe heard it from Jim, who sure he heard it from Sally, who has a secret inside source, and so on, and so on.

#13 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,173 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

can't believe i did this but to get my espnu-hd fix until directv gets it, i'm adding cable beside my dish. hard to believe the local cable provider which can't seem to add nfl network or fsn florida can add espnu-hd before satellite. in any event, said cable company recently added a local sports network where they are showing local college and high school sports (among other things). a woman had to do what a woman has to do to get her sports!!!!

#14 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

now granted i am under the weather and my brain isn't functioning well, but your math means there are 216,000,000 subscribers to directv? (162,000,000 / .75).

that just doesn't add up, if you ask me . . . or, did i misunderstand?
nothing like having way too much sports programming . . .

(see profile for equipment)

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Albie

Albie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

now granted i am under the weather and my brain isn't functioning well, but your math means there are 216,000,000 subscribers to directv? (162,000,000 / .75).

that just doesn't add up, if you ask me . . . or, did i misunderstand?

Divide by 12 months and you get approx 18 million customers.

#16 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:03 PM

Joe heard it from Jim, who sure he heard it from Sally, who has a secret inside source, and so on, and so on.

There known facts. The same information is repeated all across this board. If you want to find the sources you can go dig for them.

I cant guarantee the dollar amount, But ESPN probably is the highest costing channel, and Disney doesnt fall too far from that tree either.

#17 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

It stands to reason that the more desired channels such as FoxNews and ESPN-U are going to cost more. I get that. And I'm all for due diligence on DirecTV's part in terms of trying to get the best deal they can ..... but ultimately, they need to pull the trigger and get these channels added.

I wish they'd have more extra packs for HD channel offerings ...... that would allow people to either say, "yes", I want this new batch of hd channels and I'm willing to pay more", or "no, I am happy with my current HD lineup and don't want to pay any more".

Jeff

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:17 PM

You know Jim and Sally? :lol:

My sources have not been wrong in over 10 years...but that's OK....as long as I know that, I am fine. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:53 AM

ESPN will get the .75 eventually. They paid the SEC 2.25 BILLION dollars for the rights to those games. They didn't do it without a plan to get some of that investment back in carriage agreements and advertising revenue. As soon as they start showing a Florida vs. LSU or an Alabama vs. Auburn game on ESPNU or ESPN3 (after they get rid of Classic) fans will nut up if they can't see the game in HD when they know it is available in HD.

My point is why not just bite the bullet now and be the ONLY major carrier to offer ESPNU now?

#20 OFFLINE   Albie

Albie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

ESPN will get the .75 eventually. They paid the SEC 2.25 BILLION dollars for the rights to those games. They didn't do it without a plan to get some of that investment back in carriage agreements and advertising revenue. As soon as they start showing a Florida vs. LSU or an Alabama vs. Auburn game on ESPNU or ESPN3 (after they get rid of Classic) fans will nut up if they can't see the game in HD when they know it is available in HD.

My point is why not just bite the bullet now and be the ONLY major carrier to offer ESPNU now?

Will they? If D*, Time-Warner and Comcast all hold the line, all three will probably end up at 50-60 cents on basic or 75 cents on the sports tiers.

There is more to this negotiation than just the price per sub.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...