Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Deleting from EHD causing reboot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

Usually, we transfer events from the EHD back to the receiver to watch since the resume wasn't working before the latest software download. Now that the resume is working, we watched something directly from EHD (WD Essentials 500gb) while the receiver was recording something else. When we finished watching and hit delete, our receiver rebooted. Luckily, what was recording was no big deal and could be rerecorded later. Have had no other problems since getting the EHD during the Olympics and have never had our 622 spontaneously reboot. Has anyone else had this reboot thing happen?

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   guillermopelotas

guillermopelotas

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

Usually, we transfer events from the EHD back to the receiver to watch since the resume wasn't working before the latest software download. Now that the resume is working, we watched something directly from EHD (WD Essentials 500gb) while the receiver was recording something else. When we finished watching and hit delete, our receiver rebooted. Luckily, what was recording was no big deal and could be rerecorded later. Have had no other problems since getting the EHD during the Olympics and have never had our 622 spontaneously reboot. Has anyone else had this reboot thing happen?

I have had this happen. We lost all the data on our EHD, and then when it happened again we were so frustrated that we didn't use it for months. Then, we figured maybe they fixed the problem so we plugged it back in to see if it would work. It did….kind of…and then it started again. They gave us a refurb 622 to "fix it," and that didn't do anything. They wanted to send us another one, and also suggested we try a new EHD (obviously at our expense). When neither of those solutions worked, they sent us a 722. We haven't been using our EHD much, but the problem we DID have went away.

For now.

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

I have had this happen. We lost all the data on our EHD, and then when it happened again we were so frustrated that we didn't use it for months. Then, we figured maybe they fixed the problem so we plugged it back in to see if it would work. It did….kind of…and then it started again. They gave us a refurb 622 to "fix it," and that didn't do anything. They wanted to send us another one, and also suggested we try a new EHD (obviously at our expense). When neither of those solutions worked, they sent us a 722. We haven't been using our EHD much, but the problem we DID have went away.

For now.

Most likely, you won't have any problems with the 722. 622 problems have been well documented in this forum.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

My 622 and EHD have worked perfectly for the most part, through all the firmware updates, etc.

However when getting ready to setup a new 722, I had to delete a bunch of stuff off the EHD, and lo and behold, it did what you described.

If I tried to delete too many items at once, the 622 would reboot. When it came back nothing was lost or deleted, very wierd.

I ended up deleting a bunch of programs 10 programs (2.5 gig each or so) per try; if I went much over that it would reboot every time.

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

Sounds like you ran into a bug.. ZBoomer. Was this the operation you were trying to do DBConsultant. Why did you feel the need to delete a bunch of stuff to be ready for a 722. Should be able to share the EHD between your 622 and 722.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

Ron, for me, I had my EHD(s) full, and needed to delete a bunch of stuff I'd never watch, as well as duplicates, so I would have room to dump all the stuff off my old 622, before moving it into the bedroom for my wife. I wanted it completely empty for her. I moved all shows off it, and deleted all my timers.

I think I had like 100 episodes of "Get Out" from HDNet on the EHD, each is like 2 to 2.5 gig. If I deleted over 10 or so at a time, instant reboot.

It wasn't just this show, I had it happen on some other shows as well. I didn't do enough experimenting to find the exact point it would reboot. I'm not sure it was number of programs or how many gig. It made me nervous when it happened, so I didn't want to intentionally do it, for risk of losing something.

I've had ZERO issues with my EHD on the 622 up until then, running two of them from the first day Dish activated the feature. It also works great on my new 722, but I haven't tried deleting a bunch of stuff at once. Both my receivers are on 6.14.

spam firewall