Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Fees

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:52 AM

Here is a list of DirecTV fees and definitions. I'm writing this because it's a topic that seems to come up consistently throughout many threads. These are the standard fees and do not include special circumstances or other discounted offers that might exist.

Programming Fees:

Minimum Service $5 (prorated):
This fee is for the programming that is put on your account if your services are interrupted due to non payment. It will be prorated for however many days are left in your billing cycle and is not credited back upon service restoration.

HD Access $9.99:
This is the programming fee for being able to receive HD programming from a base package. This fee is required for active leased HD equipment. You cannot get OTA, scanned into your guide, without this fee as well either through a built in or AM21 OTA tuner. This fee does not include HD for Sports package channels such as NFLST, MLBEI. This fee is built into the Plus HDDVR package and will not show up as a separate line item. This fee is per account not receiver.

DVR Fee $5.99:
This fee is required for DVR functions to work as well as watching recorded shows. This fee is required for accounts with active leased DVRs. This fee covers DirecTV R series DVRs as well as TiVo model DVRs. With a Plus DVR or Plus HDDVR package this fee will show up as a $0 line item on your bill and is included in the package price. This fee is per account not receiver.

Late Fee $5:
This fee is applied if your full balance has not been paid by the date your next bill cycle begins. This fee is a variable fee with a maximum of $5.

Phone Transaction Fee IVR $1.50:
This fee is for placing an order for a PPV over the phone without speaking to a live representative.

Phone Transaction Fee Person $5:
This fee is for ordering a PPV, or making a payment through a representative.

Premium Disconnect Fee $10:
This fee is applied to your account if you remove a premium movie channel package before it has been active 30 days on the account. This will apply even if disconnecting a promotional offer. This will not apply if you were given a gift offer where the charge shows $0 on your bill. Changing one premium service for another will not trigger this fee, but it will reset the 30 day window. The Premier package and Playboy are in this rule as well. This fee will only be applied once no matter how many premium services you are disconnecting per transaction.

Early Cancelation Fee $20/mo:
This fee is applied if you canceled your account when a commitment is on the account. This fee is prorated and duration varies on type of equipment/offer. This fee was changed in the 4th quarter of 2007 from $12.50/mo.

Owned Equipment:

Additional Receiver Fee $4.99:
This is for the programming on each receiver on the account after your primary, first, receiver.

Leased Equipment:

Primary Leased Receiver Fee $4.99:
This charge shows up for your first receiver on the account and is automatically credited back.

Additional Leased Receiver Fee $4.99:
This is for the programming on each receiver on the account after your primary, first, receiver.

Upgrade One Time Lease Fees:

Standard Receiver: $69 (18 mo commitment) Changed from 12 mo in 4th quarter of 2007.

DVR Receiver: $99 (24 mo commitment)

HD Receiver: $99 (24 mo commitment)

HD DVR Receiver: $199 (24 mo commitment)

Deliver and Handling Fee: $19.95

Installation Fee $99:

This fee is variable and is decided based on the equipment on your account.

Misc Equipment Fees:

Non-return Fee:
This fee varies based on the type of equipment you need to return. This fee is applied for each leased receiver you have on the account that has been disconnected. This fee applies 20 days after you disconnect the receiver.

Non-activation Fee:
This fee varies based on the type of equipment you have received. This fee is applied 30 days after you receive a new receiver for any reason.

Access Card Replacement $20

I will update this as needed if you see any fees that I forgot please let me know. I only included the ones that at this time are being used not all the ones in the service agreement that "could" possibly be charged.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:33 AM

Actually the HD access fee is not charged if you have the HD programing discontinued. Also you do not have to send back or deactivate the HR20/21 or whichever If you do deactivate the HD channels. DirectV is moving toward just leasing all HD receivers no matter waht programming you are signed up for. This is actually a good idea on DTV's part. Less receivers to keep up with in the future.

#3 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Actually the HD access fee is not charged if you have the HD programing discontinued. Also you do not have to send back or deactivate the HR20/21 or whichever If you do deactivate the HD channels. DirectV is moving toward just leasing all HD receivers no matter waht programming you are signed up for. This is actually a good idea on DTV's part. Less receivers to keep up with in the future.

Then why did D* even bother making the R22 SD MPEG4 DVR's if this was the case? :confused: :confused:

#4 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

Then why did D* even bother making the R22 SD MPEG4 DVR's if this was the case? :confused: :confused:

To be used in area where all programming, including SD, is MPG4. I think it is ging to be short lived.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

When did this happen?.Last I heard if you have an HD receiver you have to have HD Access.:confused:

#6 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

The R22s were first designed for MPEG4 SD locals areas.;)

#7 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:39 PM

I'still confused i have the total choice plus package with locals. I just reactivated my hr10-250 hd-tivo and now they added the dvr service even though i have lifetime dvr service. according to you there should be a $0 line item for any plus package!

#8 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

The HD access fee has not been charged to anyone downgrading from the HD package for about 6-9 months. Also if you go back and check the past forums it has been talked about DirectV making this announcement about no charge for no HD access. DirectV has been talking about stanardizing there receivers for awhile now.

#9 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

Regarding late fee's. Is the fee added when the bill is due, or when the next billing cycle starts. D* states my bill is due the 16th, but my cycle begins on the 27th.

#10 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

The HD access fee has not been charged to anyone downgrading from the HD package for about 6-9 months. Also if you go back and check the past forums it has been talked about DirectV making this announcement about no charge for no HD access. DirectV has been talking about stanardizing there receivers for awhile now.

Well if this is the case why hasn't DirecTV turned my R22-100 into a HR21-100?.I can't see any reason to continue with the R22s if this is the case it makes no sense.:confused:

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:52 PM

Until it's removed from the lease requirements I'll put it as stated. If they change the lease addendum I can update it.

Some people have HD equipment because of local channels and are not required to have hd access, there's a line item that stops it from being added, but just because some people may or may not have something doesn't mean that it's not required at this point.

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

I'still confused i have the total choice plus package with locals. I just reactivated my hr10-250 hd-tivo and now they added the dvr service even though i have lifetime dvr service. according to you there should be a $0 line item for any plus package!

You have a Total Choice Package not a Plus package. I'll updated my post however to avoid any confusion.

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

Regarding late fee's. Is the fee added when the bill is due, or when the next billing cycle starts. D* states my bill is due the 16th, but my cycle begins on the 27th.

If you have a balance on your account the first day of your bill cycle a late fee is the first item to go on before programming.

#14 OFFLINE   wesmills

wesmills

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:31 AM

HD Access $9.99:
This is the programming fee for being able to receive HD programming from a base package. This fee is required for active leased HD equipment. You cannot get OTA, scanned into your guide, without this fee as well either through a built in or AM21 OTA tuner. This fee does not include HD for Sports package channels such as NFLST, MLBEI. This fee is built into the Plus HDDVR package and will not show up as a separate line item. This fee is per account not receiver.

This might be the case for newer receivers, but my HR10-250 is receiving HD OTA guide data just fine and I called to have the HD access fee removed (and confirmed it's gone).

#15 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

NO i do have total choice plus! which includes the HD locals. I have never been charged the $5.99 dvr fee!as a matter of fact my current bill i just received says directv dvr service $5.99/mo .Inc base pkg .00

#16 OFFLINE   SychoBC

SychoBC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

Speaking of Fees, how much is it to cancel? I'm moving to a new house and I'm not gonna be able to spend a much for TV service.

#17 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

When the next billing cycle starts, and the cutoff date is 9 days after the next cycle begins. If service is cutoff then the quoted policy is the bill must be paid down to zero to get reactivated.

Keep in mind being past due just once in any 6 month stretch will have a negative effect on your ability to negotiate 'perks'. Also once every 6 months if your service has not been interrupted you can call for a maximum of a 7 day extension to your billing date as long as you call more than 24hours prior to service interruption date.

#18 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:55 PM

NO i do have total choice plus! which includes the HD locals. I have never been charged the $5.99 dvr fee!as a matter of fact my current bill i just received says directv dvr service $5.99/mo .Inc base pkg .00

I never said you didn't have TCPlus and if you have a lifetime subscription for Tivo then you wouldn't be charged this. Either that or someone did something a long time ago as a special and didn't realize they were adding the lifetime service on.

#19 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:56 PM

Speaking of Fees, how much is it to cancel? I'm moving to a new house and I'm not gonna be able to spend a much for TV service.

Depends on how long your commitment is for and how much it per mo. If your commitment was before 10/7/07, AFAIR, then it will be 12.50 per mo left. If it was after it will be $20 per mo.

#20 OFFLINE   JayB

JayB

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

On the upgrade lease fees, if you're one of D*s "best customers" (which I guess means that like me you spend too much a month with them :)), they'll give you $99 off equipment every 6 months - so you can, for example, get an HD DVR for $99, wait 6 months, then get another. Of course, each time you do this, you extend your contract out, so keep that in mind.

spam firewall