Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Neither 622 Will Connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:32 AM

After nearly a year they stopped this past few days. And they were connecting after 6.14. I have tried resetting the broadband connection, front panel reset and pulling the plug. I use the Homeplug to a Netgear wall wart. I can see both receivers on the router list of connected devices. When I unplug them, they disappear from the router. When I plug them back in, they reappear on the router. When I reset the connection I see the IP address, Subnet mask, Primary DNS and MAC address. The secondary DNS is all zeros but that is no change from when I first set them up for broadband connection. The CSR didn't seem concerned with the secondary and scheduled a tech to come out next week. In the meantime any ideas will be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   srrobinson2

srrobinson2

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:35 AM

After nearly a year they stopped this past few days. And they were connecting after 6.14. I have tried resetting the broadband connection, front panel reset and pulling the plug. I use the Homeplug to a Netgear wall wart. I can see both receivers on the router list of connected devices. When I unplug them, they disappear from the router. When I plug them back in, they reappear on the router. When I reset the connection I see the IP address, Subnet mask, Primary DNS and MAC address. The secondary DNS is all zeros but that is no change from when I first set them up for broadband connection. The CSR didn't seem concerned with the secondary and scheduled a tech to come out next week. In the meantime any ideas will be appreciated.

I have exactly the same issue. Just spent 20 mins on phone with level 1 tech, who finally transferred me to another level 1 who transferred me to level 2, where I got a recording saying to call back later. :mad:
[Signature removed by request because it contained too much useful information.]

#3 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

No ideas, I am having the same issues with my 722 connected directly to the router and like olguy I can see both receivers on the router list of connected devices. When I unplug them, they disappear from the router. When I plug them back in, they reappear on the router

Bob

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

Same problem here on both my 722 and my 612. Unplugged my 722 from my network and reset it to get it to show 0.0.0.0 then plugged back in to network and got a valid IP address. Reports not connected! Computers are just fine.

EDIT: The only thing irritating about this is that I had the nasty warning on my 722 about not being connected will cost me money. So I plugged my phone back in.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:17 AM

I sent the following email to Dish Technical Support with a cc: to Dish Quality and ceo@:

I turned my ViP722 on this morning and had the nasty warning that I had no connection to phone or internet and that could cost me money. Went to the setup screen, IP address info was all correct as if the internet was connected, but at the bottom it showed not connected. Reset, stayed the same. Unplugged the network connection, reset to get the IP address of 0.0.0.0 then plugged it back in to the network, reset, got IP address etc., but still showed not connected. Computers are working fine.

Checked my ViP612. Same situation with the connection.

Went to DBSTalk.com and there's a new thread this morning: Neither 622 Will Connect to the Internet started by someone else with a few posts by other Dish customers confirming the problem.

I assume this is some temporary problem on your end that isn't responding to a hit from our boxes. But I also want it on record so no one with a ViP622/722 box inadvertently gets charged for not being connected.

#6 OFFLINE   Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

I just turned mine on to check and low and behold the same message about not being connected and the exact same issue. Even my homplug in the wall shows that it's connected and in the DishComm menu, it says the connection is okay, however in the broadband setup menu is say's not connected.

#7 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

From all the symptoms, everyone's home network is working just fine. If you are getting the leased IP address and DNS address from the router and it shows up in the router list, your equipment is doing what it should. It just sounds like the receiver can not establish a connection with a Dish server somewhere.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#8 OFFLINE   Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

I just sent an email to tech support and CEO as well.

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

From the L6.14 software sticky thread:

I reported the problem with Dish and they confirmed a problem. The said a fix would come soon.

#10 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

Do you really think a down server needs to be reported to the office of the CEO? They are really going to know what to do! Or do you expect them to micro manage all customer issues?
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:59 AM

Do you really think a down server needs to be reported to the office of the CEO? They are really going to know what to do! Or do you expect them to micro manage all customer issues?

No, not micromange. But....

I do expect them to be aware of anything that might result in a billing snafu so that CSR's in wherever are not telling someone over and over: "Our records show you weren't connected, that is why you were charged the $5.00."

By assuring awareness throughout the organization of day-to-day tehnical occurrences related to billing, the executive office can avoid having to micromanage. But if there's a problem like this one that tech support doesn't get fixed for a day or two or three, and then they fix it without giving much thought to the billing problems created by this technical glitch....

We all know this lack of communications couldn't happen at Dish.:rolleyes:

EDIT: I am careful to use the cc: as I don't expect a reponse from the Executive Office on issues like this one.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:15 PM

For you guys (and perhaps gals) using HomePlug... what version of HomePlug adapters are you using?

I did some swapping around and found that only the older HomePlug1.0 would work in any kind of reliable way. Newer HomePlug adapters (even ones made by Sling, which is now a part of Dish) that are supposed to be backwards compatible give very sketchy results.

In my case, I was getting IP address most of the time, but actual connection speeds were so slow sometimes as to be unmeasurable. I had to go back and dig out older/slower HomePlug1.0 adapters to get reliable connections.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#13 OFFLINE   Todd Nicholson

Todd Nicholson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

My receiver seems back to normal now. It displays as connected.

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

Mine receiver seems back to normal now. It displays as connected.

Mine too.

#15 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:55 PM

Well ain't that weird. I read this thread and saw some were coming back so I checked mine. One did and one didn't. I reset the connection and now it's good. I guess they got the server rebooted, huh? And I'm givin' phrelin's email the credit for gettin' the job done. :grin:

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, but receiving a number of reports is what causes things to come to the surface rapidly. Here's the reply I received:

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your email. We experienced an outage with our service for these models of receivers. We apologize for the issue but it should have been restored at this point. If you test your equipment & find you are still experiencing the issue, please bypass your router & attempt to connect to the receiver directly. If this again fails to correct your issue, please reply to this email & let us know. We may request additional information to provide to our engineering department about the ongoing issue.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link: http://tech.dishnetw...tal/index.shtml

A Technical Service Representative is available via live chat 24 hours a day, 7 days per week regarding your concerns. Please click the following link to use this option. http://tech.dishnetw...tformrf23.shtml

Thank you,

#17 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

My receiver seems back to normal now. It displays as connected.

Same here (after message and "not connected" this AM).

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

Protected By... spam firewall...And...