Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Help adding Cable channels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pbsman

pbsman

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:52 AM

Could someone help me I'm trying to add my cable channels into the vip 722.
I have the cable line hooked up to the antenna /cable input but when I do a scan
it does not find any channels. I dont understand the manual. Could someone help me Please.

pbsman

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Sure, I can help. Unplug the cable fom the 722 input and there you are. Done.

You can not do this becuase the receiver only has a digital tuner for OTA. It will not handle the cable input (no NTSC or QAM tuner).
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   pbsman

pbsman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

You can not do this becuase the receiver only has a digital tuner for OTA. It will not handle the cable input (no NTSC or QAM tuner).

WOW Thank you for reply would think dish would tell you in manual you can not hook up your cable line and reciever cable channels.
On the back of reciever it says Antenna/Cable input that would tell me that one could hook-up a cable line to reciever. But we don't think like Dish does.
Thank you again.

pbsman

#4 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

What's the option in the HDTV setup screen (menu 6-8) regarding "analog type?"

There are options for "offair", "IRC", and "HRC", and "Cable."

I've never messed with this, leave it at offair, but it sounds like the other options allow cable input...

#5 OFFLINE   pbsman

pbsman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

What's the option in the HDTV setup screen (menu 6-8) regarding "analog type?"

There are options for "offair", "IRC", and "HRC", and "Cable."

I've never messed with this, leave it at offair, but it sounds like the other options allow cable input...

Yes it does say offair IRC HRC and Cable and I have set it to Cable but still scans no channels. Thank you for that reply.

pbsman

#6 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:57 AM

I just tried it. I followed the instructions in the on-line manual for 622s. Which are very similar to the instructions in the manual that came with my 622. I set the Off-Air for Cable, then IRC, and then HRC as the manual says. Nothing. The manual also says if that doesn't work to contact your cable company. I wonder if the problem may be that the cable company, at least mine, doesn't transmit the signal at the numbers the 622 is looking for? My locals from cable are 102-1, 102-2, 113-2 and 113-3 or something like that on the teewee tuner. I don't watch them very often.

#7 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:34 AM

What he said or it just doesn't work!!!:eek2:

#8 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

Yes it does say offair IRC HRC and Cable and I have set it to Cable but still scans no channels. Thank you for that reply.

pbsman

For those few cable companies still offering Digital channels as ATSC, this works. Most just offer analog, or QAM and will not work.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#9 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

The only option is to plug the cable TV cable directly into your TV and switch inputs from your remote every time you want to switch between cable TV and E*. This still doesn't allow you to record cable TV to your DVR.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

Protected By... spam firewall...And...