Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NEW Channel in Philadelphia??

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cdavis0720

cdavis0720

Godfather

• Registered
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 03:57 PM

I was going through the guide this afternoon and noticed a new channel. Not new as in just started.... new as in new to DirecTV

WMGM- 40 (NBC affiliate out of Atlantic City,NJ)

I also saw WZPA 33 which I had never noticed before but that may have been there before.

Carl

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:46 AM

I was going through the guide this afternoon and noticed a new channel. Not new as in just started.... new as in new to DirecTV

WMGM- 40 (NBC affiliate out of Atlantic City,NJ)

I also saw WZPA 33 which I had never noticed before but that may have been there before.

Carl

WOW! :eek2: Lowly little ol' MGM has made the BIG TIME!

I worked there back in 1989-1990. Our studio was first in the same building as the transmitter, out in the marshes of South Jersey. We had so many mice we had a studio cat! Then we moved to a former warehouse behind the building Howard Greene bought for his new headquarters. It was just one of those prefab steel buildings that dot the landscape. MGM has never had a live truck... we were always waiting for a satellite truck NBC had promised they would give us... I think they're still waiting.

Oh, and WMGM is officially licensed to Wildwood, NJ, with the transmitter located in Swainton, NJ and the studios in Linwood, NJ. Atlantic City? Just a wish...

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#3 OFFLINE   sdpadres

sdpadres

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

Does anyone know if this channel will be going HD?

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:17 PM

WMGM in HD? Whether they do or not, I highly doubt DirecTV will ever carry it in HD.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

It's about time D* picked up this channel. Pretty much all the cable systems in South Jersey carry it.

#6 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:02 PM

It's about time D* picked up this channel. Pretty much all the cable systems in South Jersey carry it.

Only the cable systems in Southeast NJ servicing primarily Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland County carry it. But I agree its about time its on DirecTV. If anybody has time, can some one update the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMGM-TV k.

If I recall right, the local commercials are kinda low budget/cheesy on WMGM. I currently don't have DirecTV, but I will take a view of WMGM on DirecTV when I visit a family member that I know that has DirecTV. I don't think DirecTV would carry a HD feed for this channel, if it exists, as it'd take a lot of bandwidth, and one can just watch NBC HD from WCAU-HD and then watch the local news, if its local or of interest to you, from WMGM. Of course, one would miss the local commercials that are placed/run during network programming hours, but such are a few.

WZPA is a low powered station. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think its a real local station either, but instead is just a satellite of another station or the national network, with maybe some local advertising inserts at most.

#7 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

WZPA has been on for quite a while. I blacked it out a long time ago.

I still wish D* would allow WGAL NBC-8 out of Lancaster. Every cable system in Chester County carries 'GAL, and it's more local in a lot of ways than Philly. If you're within 10 miles of an Amish home, you should be getting 'GAL.

I tried e-mailing D* to ask for 'GAL, but it was a no-go. So much for significantly viewed...

#8 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

Only the cable systems in Southeast NJ servicing primarily Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland County carry it. But I agree its about time its on DirecTV. If anybody has time, can some one update the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMGM-TV k.

I know a lot of people in Atlantic and Cumberland counties and they always tune to WCAU for NBC programming. It's hard to believe MGM even stays in business. I believe their OTA signal is pretty weak too.

#9 OFFLINE   PWenger

PWenger

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:22 AM

WZPA has been on for quite a while. I blacked it out a long time ago.

I still wish D* would allow WGAL NBC-8 out of Lancaster. Every cable system in Chester County carries 'GAL, and it's more local in a lot of ways than Philly. If you're within 10 miles of an Amish home, you should be getting 'GAL.

I tried e-mailing D* to ask for 'GAL, but it was a no-go. So much for significantly viewed...

WGAL would be great...I went to Millersville University, and that was the only station I could consistently get in the dorm with the old rabbit ears.

Wouldn't be Fashnact day without WGAL!

(If you ever lived in Lancaster, you'd understand...)

#10 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:40 AM

Mmmmm - Faschnacts!

(My last name is Herrmann, so I know exactly what you mean!)

#11 OFFLINE   biker

biker

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Cool!

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:06 PM

WGAL would be great...I went to Millersville University, and that was the only station I could consistently get in the dorm with the old rabbit ears.

Wouldn't be Fashnact day without WGAL!

(If you ever lived in Lancaster, you'd understand...)

I live here.. I know exactly what you mean.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

I know a lot of people in Atlantic and Cumberland counties and they always tune to WCAU for NBC programming. It's hard to believe MGM even stays in business. I believe their OTA signal is pretty weak too.

Cumberland Co. is ancillary to WMGM but in Atlantic and Cape May Co., WMGM is on CH.4 and it gets visitor traffic, enough I suppose to stay in business:

3 CBS KYW
4 NBC WMGM
5 FOX WTXF
6 ABC WPVI

However, with NBC HD, Comcast only carries WCAU-HD and ditto now with DirecTV. So those who watch HD in the 200s on Comcast are less likely to tune to WMGM. Who knows if that will obsolete WMGM over time.

Another reason to watch WCAU over WMGM is the difference in newscasts and commercials. WMGM is like the Shore Mall, WCAU is like the King of Prussia Mall.

But most importantly I'd guess is that all of Southern NJ is very Philly oriented. I suppose with the NJ Transit connections, the buses, the commuters going to towns north, and ppl from Philly who vacation and tourist and bring money down to the Shore, makes it part of the greater Philadelphia area, Delaware Valley. Compare that to Allentown, which the Census doesn't classify as part of the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area. It's more different up there too, even though both Allentown and Philly share the PA commonality. In the Lehigh Valley, a lot of ppl tune to watch WFMZ 69 for news, and then tune to Philly stations for network TV.

#14 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:28 PM

but at least WFMZ has HD local news whereas NBC-owned WCAU (NBC, Philly) STILL doesn't have HD local news.

NBC is so freakin' cheap.

#15 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

If you want to see something very entertaining, watch WYBE (35.1) on Saturday and Sunday afternoons for all of the Bollywood movies.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#16 OFFLINE   1kyardstare

1kyardstare

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

I live here.. I know exactly what you mean.

Go 'Ville. I went there too - WGAL would be nice to have in Philly too. it Not sure why it would be nice just feel "homey" I guess.

I second the opinion though - get more of these locals in HD.

#17 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:31 AM

WFMZ from Allentown has great local HD news that I pick up OTA, but it's still not on D*.

#18 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

Go 'Ville. I went there too - WGAL would be nice to have in Philly too. it Not sure why it would be nice just feel "homey" I guess.

I second the opinion though - get more of these locals in HD.

Why not try OTA and see if you can get WGAL-DT? I live b/w Lancaster and Harrisburg and I can get the Philly DT stations OTA.

#19 OFFLINE   Jammasterd

Jammasterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

No, I asked one of the NBC40 reporter guys .

He said that they do not have HD cameras.

#20 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

i get all sorts of stations with my OTA pointed to philly..even far away NJ stations were easier to get with my initial tuning issues.

until recently i didnt know it wasnt possible to get these stations with my hr20 since the hdtivo has always been setup (and some channels blocked)
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

spam firewall