Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722 Just Blanked All My Timer Events

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

Ok guys.. Lets try and keep things civil here.. It is obvious Hogwash has ran into some frustration and it is bleeding through his post. Couple of points I think need to be made here.

Now back on topic.. My opinions...

1) Boxes should never lock up (but they do). If they do, it should be considered a possible bug. In this case I think there is a good possibility Hogwash is running into one. This issues is what I would call an edge condition potential defect, by edge I mean if the problem is related to 90+ timers then it is a condition the majority of users will not see. (Boy has the lawers gotten to me). ;)

2) 96 timers is the limit of the box. Any change to this is an enhancement not a bug or design flaw. My guess the limit was set based on the architecture and desired performance characteristics of the box. Should it support more? Well that is an opinion and given the last Wish List poll I would suggest it is not a top priority feature for most users. (see Phirlin's link above).

I would be curious. Anyone one else running at 90+ timers? If so, are you having any issues with Timer management?

Hogwash.. You mentioned that you planned on decreasing your timers. If so,, what are they at today and are you still running into box stability? Also what is your timer events currently at. (press DVR twice).
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,408 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

Can we please try and avoid personal attacks here. I have run into a very serious bug in this hardware, and nobody wants to address it. My statements, while previously acknowledged as been peppered with extreme frustration, are clearly facts. This is a buggy box, I can't see how that can be denied. And my comparison to my old TiVo was in regard to the fact that something is not being handled right in the hardware or software. Having more than 96 timers is physically possible on DVRs on the market for the last decade, this box should be considerably more powerful, and I don't see that as a valid excuse for instability.

Now if you aren't interested in helping deal with the problems at hand, I would kindly ask you to keep your opinions to yourself. And let's keep this thread on topic.

Ok. I'll accept the fact that it is a buggy box compared to your old TiVo and also compared to my old Dish 508's.

Stability is a problem when functions on these boxes are pushed. HD requires alot of processing power which is allocated among the multiple functions. If indeed your timer loss problem is because of the limit, that's a good thing based on my experience. You can avoid the problem. If it's caused by some other thing like a hardware glitch, you may not be able to do anything but get the box replaced.

But Dish, like TiVo and others, keeps trying to make things better.:)

#23 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

SaltiDawg, those are all statements of fact. How is stating that the player is buggy and a pain to deal with "bashing?" Isn't this the forum to discuss bugs in the system? Nothing will ever get fixed if we aren't allowed to discuss problems.

Now I suppose the real question is are these bugs due to the hardware or the software? I would hope that the hardware being underpowered isn't the problem, as I can't believe that my 10 year old TiVo had more processing power than my 1 year old 722. So why doesn't dish fix these glaring problems with their timer/event limits in the software? Does anyone have a line into their programming dept about when these stability issues will be addressed?

I'm also a past Tivo user and fan. And YES I think the Tivo has a better interface and is more reliable. But I've come to except my 622 and 722. And your 10 year old Tivo does not record HD and only one channel @ a time. So you give a little and gain some... Not too bad of a trade.

What I don't undstand is if you were so unhappy with your equipment, I believe that you could have canceled your service within 30 days. No big deal........ My local cable company (Charter) would give you a "Moxie" box that records 5 whole hours of HD! OUCH!!!!

Dump E* and get an dual tuner HD Tivo for $600.00 and set as many events as you can get OTA or on cable. I would love one. But in this case, you get what you paid for.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#24 OFFLINE   hogwash

hogwash

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

For now my 722 is acting fine. Last I checked I have 87 timers and 470 total events. And while many may not be getting close to maxing out these numbers, the fact that it does not handle going past a certain point gracefully should be addressed.

Now the proper way of describing the 96 timer limit as either a feature or design flaw will depend on your usage. Obviously, I don't see the reason for such a low limit but that's another topic. And by the way I didn't even see expanding the timer/event limit option in the top wanted feature thread.

But the real thing I am concerned about is that while pushing the limits, my box freaked out while deleting timers and decreasing the number of events. I was not maxed out, and if anything I should have been easing the workload on the processor.

Hopefully this doesn't become a recurring problem for me or any of you, and was just a freak event.

#25 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:58 PM

Totally agree if that was the case. Like I said.. could be that or could be that something go corrupted along the way. Hard to tell at this point. I would let it run a while at this level and then move it back up and see if the problem returns.

As for it not being on the list.. It was not on the list because it was not mentioned enough in a thread previous that basically asked "If you had one feature to pick, what would it be?". The poll was created from that thread. See Below.

http://www.dbstalk.c...had one feature

Like I suggested above, search for timer event and limit. The limit was a much bigger issues when it was around 50 and after the increase it has meet most peoples needs given the lack of discussion over the last year.

Yep.. Lets hope that it was a glitch
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#26 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:29 AM

Like I suggested above, search for timer event and limit. The limit was a much bigger issues when it was around 50 and after the increase it has meet most peoples needs given the lack of discussion over the last year. ...

As of yesterday, my 622 had 88 timers and 431 Events. Works flawlessly except when the Guide Info appears bad. (My wife's 622 has 71 Timers and 178 Events and also has no problems.)

#27 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

... Dump E* and get an dual tuner HD Tivo for $600.00 and set as many events as you can get OTA or on cable. I would love one. But in this case, you get what you paid for.

I agree completely. He should go where he's happy. :rolleyes:

Will that $600 Tivo have a monthly fee? Will it record three events simultaneously while allowing one or two users to independently view existing or current recordings? :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...