Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722 Question on Concurrent Timers using HD vs SD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JimDillon1

JimDillon1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hi Folks, I'm an overjoyed ViP 722 owner for about 4 months now. I had a previous SD Dish Network DVR servicing multiple TVs in my house so really love their DVRs.

My Question: When two timers are to be recorded at the same time, only one can be recorded in HD, the other gets recorded in SD. When two are scheduled concurrently, is there any way that I can modify the timers to designate WHICH timer gets the HD recording? (I assume that when they are concurrent, the timer that shows "TV1" gets the HD recording, while the "TV2" gets the SD recording.) The only way I've been able switch this is to disable the timer for the one I want in SD, then get back on when it's scheduled to start and manually start the recording. This is a royal pain.

With such an elegant machine, I'm hoping there's a more elegant solution. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

All three tuners in the receiver can record in HD. There is no such thing as a SD tuner in the 722. However it is true that anything displayed on the Home Distribution output (TV2) is down resed to SD.

You can record everything in HD and watch it on either TV1 in HD or TV2 in SD but it is still recorded in HD unless it is recorded from a channel that broadcasts the program in SD.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:31 PM

My Question: When two timers are to be recorded at the same time, only one can be recorded in HD, the other gets recorded in SD. ...

This is simply not correct. Two Sat and one OTA timers may fire at once and the resolution on each will be that of the sources. (If all are in HD then all of them will be recorded in HD.

#4 OFFLINE   JimDillon1

JimDillon1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

Thank you for your quick responses!! For some reason I had one recently recorded in SD and I thought it was an HD broadcast, but maybe I missed something. I'll be testing it tonight as I have Monday Night Foodball and Boston Legal concurrently scheduled. Cheers....

spam firewall