Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Funky goings on with the external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:40 PM

So, as soon as I got my new VIP 722, I enabled the external hard drive feature, and connected a Maxtor 750 gig (and, btw, I would not recommend that hd at all because it has a very annoying flashing light).

It worked fine for a few days, and then it started doing strange stuff. For a while, I could view programs stored on the disk without problems but it gave me an error statement everytime I tried to transfer. The fix was always disconnecting the USB cable, and then reconnecting. Each time I did that, the problem cleared up completely. After doing that, I'd sometimes have to reboot to get it to recognize the HD.

The other issue I have is while viewing programs stored on the maxtor external drive. A few times, I hit the pause button, got up and did something, and then came back and hit play. Each time, it ignored the presses of "play" and would not drop out of pause. The work around is to hit the skip back botton which puts it in play mode again.

Anybody got any clues as to what all this about?

I'm going to try swaping out the USB cable tonight because I wondered if a lose connection of some kind is at fault.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

Those sound to me like symptoms of a hard drive that spins down due to lack of activity and goes into a standby mode. Maybe some others who have hard drives that do that can give some better workaround suggestions.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

That was my thought, as my WD's do spin down so I always do "manage" before attempting to transfer so its spinning. I've never paused long enough for it to spin down so I have no idea what would happen.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

Those sound to me like symptoms of a hard drive that spins down due to lack of activity and goes into a standby mode. Maybe some others who have hard drives that do that can give some better workaround suggestions.

I have never even considered that. What a great insight. I'm not sure if this the isuse, but I will give it a try tonight. Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

I use the Maxtor 750 gig and love it. I have a bunch of these things for computer backup and have used them for years with very good results. I don't have problems with spin down but I never turn mine on unless I want to use it. And, I like the blinking light so I can tell when it is in use.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

I use the Maxtor 750 gig and love it. I have a bunch of these things for computer backup and have used them for years with very good results. I don't have problems with spin down but I never turn mine on unless I want to use it. And, I like the blinking light so I can tell when it is in use.

I didn't even know you could turn it off. I just have it hidden in my entertainment system. Turned it on once, and have pretty much ignored it since then.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:10 PM

That was my thought, as my WD's do spin down so I always do "manage" before attempting to transfer so its spinning. I've never paused long enough for it to spin down so I have no idea what would happen.

It resumes after it spins up. I do it quite frequently. No problem. I've not seen many problems with folks who use the WD Essential drives. They seem to be rock solid.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,796 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:36 PM

I have a Western Digital Essential... but I use mine differently than most folks I think. I always disconnect it from the receiver when not in use... so each time I use it, I am connecting it to an already booted receiver ready to go... so it wakes up from standby when plugged in.

Like Phrelin, I've never paused a movie on the hard drive for very long... certainly not long enough for it to go into standby so I actually don't know what might happen. I'll have to test that sometime now and see what happens!

Where I've heard the most troubles has been folks that leave their drives connected all the time... and apparently when the receiver does its nightly update/reboot it doesn't always pick up the external hard drive if already connected so the "fix" seems to be disconnect and reconnect... but I thought I'd read of some other workarounds, so I figured folks who have been experiencing similar issues might jump in.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

I have a Western Digital Essential... but I use mine differently than most folks I think. I always disconnect it from the receiver when not in use... so each time I use it, I am connecting it to an already booted receiver ready to go... so it wakes up from standby when plugged in.

Like Phrelin, I've never paused a movie on the hard drive for very long... certainly not long enough for it to go into standby so I actually don't know what might happen. I'll have to test that sometime now and see what happens!

Where I've heard the most troubles has been folks that leave their drives connected all the time... and apparently when the receiver does its nightly update/reboot it doesn't always pick up the external hard drive if already connected so the "fix" seems to be disconnect and reconnect... but I thought I'd read of some other workarounds, so I figured folks who have been experiencing similar issues might jump in.

My drives are connected all the time. I've had no problems. I posted my results from pausing until the drive spins down earlier. No problems. But, I have a 722. They seem to work with the EHD far better than the 622.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#10 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:00 PM

My drives are connected all the time. I've had no problems. I posted my results from pausing until the drive spins down earlier. No problems. But, I have a 722. They seem to work with the EHD far better than the 622.

I have a 722 too.

I don't really pause that long - which is part of what is curious. Most of the time, it is less than a minute or two.

#11 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:22 AM

Got the Maxtor 750 one touch with the "night lite" on it at Costco for $119 Friday. First thing I did, even before connecting it, was to plug it into a windblows machine and install the software. I set the time out to "never". Reading these forums elsewhere gave that hint before I even bought it.

So far no problems, but have only copied a bunch of stuff to it. I did play from it, so I know that part works. But nothing long term yet.

I hate the sort of the shows! Folders are really important. Wish they would add that.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#12 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

I hate the sort of the shows! Folders are really important. Wish they would add that.

The sort on the EHD reflects the same order as on your internal drive.

#13 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

Got the Maxtor 750 one touch with the "night lite" on it at Costco for $119 Friday. First thing I did, even before connecting it, was to plug it into a windblows machine and install the software. I set the time out to "never". Reading these forums elsewhere gave that hint before I even bought it.

So far no problems, but have only copied a bunch of stuff to it. I did play from it, so I know that part works. But nothing long term yet.

Silly me. I didn't even realize you could do that.

Anyway, my problems were NOT due to the disk spinning down. The pause issues occured after only a few seconds and the problem was too sporadic overall.
I believe the real issues have to do with the USB cable provided by Maxtor. It just never seemed to make good connections to the unit. I eventually swaped it out and all my problems seem to have gone away.

#14 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:56 PM

The sort on the EHD reflects the same order as on your internal drive.

I am thinking along the lines of putting the same named shows in folders. I guess the actual sort is by date like the internal disk.

However, even if they did that different it would help! I like to see the latest shows at the top of my internal list. But, I want to watch the oldest first on the EHD. I use it as a place to store stuff I want to watch some day, but not this month.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Dish added folders to the EHD screen on the ViP612 with the latest software release. Hopefully, I and everyone else also will see it soon on the ViP622/722's. Don't expect too much. It's just folders by name of show like on the internal hard drive. But it's something that acknowledges that the EHD system could use some upgrades.

#16 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:40 AM

That's all I ask for. ;) A little goes a long ways.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#17 OFFLINE   Tulsa1

Tulsa1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:10 AM

Please, please, pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!:hair:

#18 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

Agreed...I also hope that the folders get added to the 722.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#19 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Well, as it turns out, I was completely wrong about the causes of my problems and several of the above posters were correct. It was all due to the drive powering down. I did as Pkane suggested above - used the software that came with the drive to get it to spin all the time (although that sucks power) and no more problems whatsoever.

#20 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Agreed...I also hope that the folders get added to the 722.

Completely agree. The way the programs are stored now makes the archiving feature much less useful.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...