Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sammy Sosa Ejected

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frapp

Frapp

Icon

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:53 AM

Ok guys, I`m sure everyone knows about this by now and I am quite surprised no one has made a post about it, unless I overlooked it ?
http://www.msnbc.com...17.asp?0cv=CB20

So do we all think he truly made a mistake or was it just another story of personal gain here :shrug:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Maniacal1

Maniacal1

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:31 AM

I'm thinking it was a batboy's mistake. It seems like the head of the bat was clearly marked with something resembling a "C".

I expect that a close look at the other bats in Sammy's arsenal will not show any other corked bats. If that's the case, then I'm leaning toward buying his explanation.

#3 OFFLINE   Rick_EE

Rick_EE

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:02 PM

I would think he would know right away by the weight. He has only been handling bats for unpteen years.
I think it throws a shadow on all of his accomplishments.

#4 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:55 PM

Notice that according to the home plate ump....that ONLY the bat handle was recovered....apparently the batboy took the head of the bat back to the Cubs dugout and supposedly one of the Cubbies tossed it in the stands....Now if that can be proven.....Can the Cubs come under fire as well?!!!!
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#5 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 03:32 PM

As far as Sosa's remarks about this bat being his "show for the fans in b.p" piece of lumber.....I'm sure there is remote truth in his statement. Pro ball players, or even just professional athletes in general are very particular in their gear. This "accident" was no accident at all. Sammy has been playing far long enough to know the feel of his bats....when you get a good piece of wood you just don't run up to the plate with any old bat laying around. He knows what he did, everybody does. Does this jeopardize his career? Not in the least bit. Will people question every round tripper of his from know on, yes they probably will (even though I credit most of them to lack of pitching on a mound way to low). Who knows.....maybe that pill that Torres plated in his ear screwed his judgement. :D

The rest of his bats have been confiscated and if there are more corked bats, than I am sure MLB will gladly let the public know. Until then, Ill give the man the benefit of the doubt.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

#6 OFFLINE   firephoto

firephoto

Icon

• Registered
  • 863 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 04:03 PM

I remember Edgar Martinez saying in a interview a few weeks ago he could easily tell the difference in bats that were just an ounce or less different in weight. If Sammy can't tell he's swinging a light bat OR not know that it's his "show bat" then he has some issues. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the other bats turn out to be.

Now if this was his "show" bat, and not an "official" bat, then what's it even doing in the dugout during a game? Also if it's just a show bat, why not have a custom built carbon fiber bat or something since after all, it's just a "show" bat??

How about Albert Belle's fine career?

#7 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:29 AM

Since the other 79 bats tested OK, I'm going to personally give him the benefit of the doubt. The "C" on the bat is a LITTLE obvious to a catcher, so if he was trying to hide something it was a lousy way to do it.

Rick Reilly from Sports Illustrated continues his feud with Sosa (They got into it when Reilly tried to get Sosa to agree to an instant drug test during an interview, which ended with Sosa going nuts on him), by arguing that all of Sosa's HRs should have asterisks on them now.... Please.... Let's not overreact people.....
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:41 AM

I confess that I am a Mark McGwire fan (as I sit here in my office looking at the commemorative Wheaties box from Big Mac's 70th home run. I lost a lot of respect for Sosa when I found out that McGwire had contributed more to Sosa's foundation than Sosa had. I don't know if it was a mistake or the action of a desperate man, but this event will cast a question mark over everything he has done and will do in the future.

#9 OFFLINE   Rick_EE

Rick_EE

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:50 AM

I don't think the other bats being clean proves anything. Why would he need more than one? In case he breaks it?
All having more would do is make it more likely he would be caught.

I haven't seen anything in the media about the "C" mark. The catcher could have thought the C stood for "Cubs."

#10 OFFLINE   Wedgecon

Wedgecon

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 10:49 PM

Do major league hitters really need 76 Bats? Does each player have this many? I would think they would take a lot of space.

#11 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Wedgecon
Do major league hitters really need 76 Bats? Does each player have this many? I would think they would take a lot of space.

76 bats is not anything out of the ordinary. I don't remember specific numbers of just how many bats each player is provided at the beginning of the season, but its a significant number. Breaking a bat is a common event, even with uncorked bats. Each player's bats, especially sluggers like Sosa, are made to his particular specifications, within the required specs. When the team travels they don't take all of each players bats, but in a case like this, all of Sosa's bats on hand at the time would be tested.

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:01 PM

Since I don't watch baseball at all, I am going to ask what may be an extremely innocent question...

When I played baseball/softball in school ages ago, there were two types of bats: aluminum and wood, each with their advantages and dis-advantages. When they manufacture baseball bats, they have specifications to work by, including length, width, and weight. And, if I'm correct, they have different weights of the bats.

So, why would they use a corked bat in practice at all? Is it lighter so that the player can practice their swing during warmups? And, where is the corking placed?

Sosa is appealing the MLB ruling, and they went through the effort of checking all of his bats, including the ones in the hall of fame, for possible corking. None was found, and from what reaction I have seen, there may have been a case of a honest mistake.

But, on the other hand, it is ultimately the player's responsibility to make sure that the bat he was using isn't a corked bat.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#13 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 03:05 PM

Lighter bat = faster swing = more distance when the ball is hit. Guys like McGwire, and Sosa, can "muscle" a ball to go a long ways. But there are other homerun hitters who don't have the big muscles, but do have a very fast swing. I read a comparison on swing speeds, including Tiger Woods a few years ago. Its Tiger's incredible swing speed that allows him to hit the long drives. Thats why when you get the combination of a fastball pitched at 95 MPH, and a hitter with great swing speed you get a ball hit out of the park. Thats why you see a batter swinging 2 or 3 bats, or a bat with a weight, during his warmup. Then when he swings just the one bat it feels much lighter and swings faster. And I agree that it is the batter's responsibility to make sure the bat he is using is ok. Most batters check over their bats pretty carefully before an at bat, to make sure there that no cracks or dings occurred the last time it was used. I find it hard to believe he didn't know. I have seen any number of times when the batter sent the bat boy back for a different bat.

spam firewall