Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need a new DVR....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   amahdi

amahdi

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

I have a DVR 501 - had it for a LOOOONG time. Need to upgrade! However I get Dish for the International channels only so no HD. Can you tell me which receiver would be suitable for me - I was thinking of Dish 625 but maybe I should get a 612 just in case the Int channels get HD.

Also - the 501 is one tuner. If I get a 2 tuner DVR - woudl I need to add another line coming from the Satellite. Also - if I do eventually go HD - would I need to change my Satellite set up (I have a Dish 500 outside).

Thanks in advance for your help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

You can avoid running a 2nd line from the dish if you switch your LNB's on the 500 to "Dish Pro Plus" LNB's. With a DPP you can use a DPP seperator at the receiver to get 2 inputs off one cable.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

The chances of the Internationals going HD anytime soon is pretty small, but if you want US HD programming, definitely do it all at once. Dish will install whatever dish you need. Most likely, if you have International and HD, they will install the 1000 PLUS dish and a DPP44 switch, which will feed 4 receivers (single or dual-tuner), using a single line to each receiver.

IMO, unless you know that you have no HD plans for the next few years, I would get an HD-DVR of some type over the SD version. You can only use Dish'N It Up once per year.

#4 OFFLINE   amahdi

amahdi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

The chances of the Internationals going HD anytime soon is pretty small, but if you want US HD programming, definitely do it all at once. Dish will install whatever dish you need. Most likely, if you have International and HD, they will install the 1000 PLUS dish and a DPP44 switch, which will feed 4 receivers (single or dual-tuner), using a single line to each receiver.

IMO, unless you know that you have no HD plans for the next few years, I would get an HD-DVR of some type over the SD version. You can only use Dish'N It Up once per year.

Thanks. How can I get info on Dish'n it up? Will I be eligible - I have had the 501 for the past 5 yrs at least....

Also - what are some other places I can get Dish receivers.

Appreciate it.

#5 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

Thanks. How can I get info on Dish'n it up? Will I be eligible - I have had the 501 for the past 5 yrs at least....

Also - what are some other places I can get Dish receivers.

Appreciate it.

You are eligible, Dish Network subscribers in good standing can use Dish N' It Up once every 12 month period. For HD receivers there is usually an upfront upgrade fee which in the past was determined by how good a customer you were in the past. Over 5 years should put you in very good standing. You can buy outright, best place would be through Claude at The Dish Store.

#6 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

If you are receiving INTL programming you have a 500+ antenna, which requires a DP 34 switch to combine...if that's the case then you'll have to have 2 lines for a dual tuner. If you can get the tech to install a DPP 44 (or even a DPP 33) switch, then you can continue with only having one line to the receiver.
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#7 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:07 AM

If you go with dish in up, the lnb will get changed out to take care of running the second line.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

Why do you want to upgrade the 501? It has a small hard drive but it is fee free it has name based recording which probably make little difference on international programming. An upgrade receiver may not offer much for the costs. Even though they are discontinued a 508 would double your hard drive and still be fee free. EBay is a good source if you know how to buy on eBay. If you are worried about failure DHPP is your friend. Add DHPP when you need it for $5.99/mo. and cancel after problem is solved.(Digital Home Protection Plan)

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

You might also consider looking at the Yahoo group Dishmod.

There are instructions there to show you how to add a larger hard drive to your 501 to essentially make it a 510 but without the DVR fee associated with the 510.

If you want a newer DVR there is the 625, a dual tuner DVR with the associated DRV fee ($5.00 per month).

If you go HD there is the ViP722 which is a dual tuner HDDVR with either a lease fee ($7.00) or a programming fee ($7.00) plus the DVR fee ($5.00).
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#10 OFFLINE   AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:01 PM

I have a 508 I was going to put up on eBay. It's in great condition, but I unactivated because my parents no longer needed to have 2 receivers. If you're interested, let me know.

#11 OFFLINE   amahdi

amahdi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

I have a 508 I was going to put up on eBay. It's in great condition, but I unactivated because my parents no longer needed to have 2 receivers. If you're interested, let me know.

Actually I might be interested. How much are you selling it for?

Also - how much hard drive space does it have and do you pay a monthly DVR fee for it? Let me know.

Thanks,

#12 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

For clarification the monthly DVR FEE id $5.98

#13 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:28 PM

Although there has been no word on Dish carrying any of the internationals in HD, some of them have announced plans for supplying HD. At least one has even gone HD.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

spam firewall