Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

50 Series Link Workaround?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#26 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,055 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:58 PM

I would gladly take a slower DVR over one that limits me in its main purpose. I never felt the Tivos were slow though. My Tivo with 150 season passes felt just as quick as my R15 if not quicker. Then again most gripes I hear about speed have to do with people watching live tv which I don't do since I have a Tivo.

No my speed gripes where for everything but live tv, as I am like you... Why watch anything live when you have a DVR....

Frankly, I am ridiculously organized in what series I set up on what DVR so that I can get them all and NOT run out of room... I have all my HR in one spot, and then video distribution to send the signals to other tvs... Once MRV hits, Ill completely change my setup, and I really can't wait till that happens.... That will be better than raising the limit for me, although I can see how that wont fix everyones issues in regards to this...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

My Tivo with 150 season passes felt just as quick as my R15 if not quicker.

How long did it take to reorder the prioritizer?
How long did it take to delete a season pass?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#28 OFFLINE   Brennok

Brennok

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

How long did it take to reorder the prioritizer?
How long did it take to delete a season pass?

Deletion of season passes are almost instant, if not so. The only time I find it hangs is if the show has multiple airings, like a new show which I watched the pilot and didn't like and even then it is maybe a few seconds or so. If the show is no longer on or no upcoming episodes, it is instant.

If you are asking how long it takes me to reorder the season passes and wait for it to complete, I have no idea. It probably takes 5-10 minutes at the most depending on how many shows I shift around. I reorganize my season passes every Sunday so I usually complete one and move onto the next Tivo. By the time I finish with the second Tivo, the first one is usually done. I have multiple Tivos so I usually do them all mid-afternoon one after the other.

#29 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:23 PM

If you are asking how long it takes me to reorder the season passes and wait for it to complete, I have no idea. It probably takes 5-10 minutes at the most depending on how many shows I shift around.

But not everyone works with multiple DVR's. That's where the speed comes into play. ON the HR2X's, the reordering of the season passes (SL's) is almost instantaneous. On the tivo's, you're correct, it could take 5 minutes. 5 minutes is a long time to watch an idle screen.

I never felt the Tivos were slow though.

I too would like more than 50 SL's and would also sacrifice some speed in order to have it, but you can't state that the Tivo's aren't slow in this area (perhaps because of the limitless SP's).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#30 OFFLINE   Brennok

Brennok

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:42 PM

But not everyone works with multiple DVR's. That's where the speed comes into play. ON the HR2X's, the reordering of the season passes (SL's) is almost instantaneous. On the tivo's, you're correct, it could take 5 minutes. 5 minutes is a long time to watch an idle screen.

I too would like more than 50 SL's and would also sacrifice some speed in order to have it, but you can't state that the Tivo's aren't slow in this area (perhaps because of the limitless SP's).

I didn't always have multiple DVRs. I only have them now after roommates moved out and I got into a habit of having multiple DVRs active to deal with conflicts. The only difference was instead I would rearrange the season passes before I was going out, doing laundry, going to bed or something where I wasn't sitting at the tv for a few minutes. Since it is still recording, those few minutes don't bother me. Now if it wasn't recording at the same time, then speed would definitely be an issue.

I guess since I have always just rearranged my season passes before doing something else that it never bothered me. Then again even if it was instant or close to it, it wouldn't matter since once i fix the order I am up doing something else. It is just habit stemming from my first DVR, the Sony Tivo series 1.

I guess it is like when I have to do something on my parents computer when I am visiting and I complain how slow it is which they never noticed.

#31 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,305 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:15 AM

As was pointed out in the original thread, be careful of yet another limit while trying to work around the 50 series link limit: There is a limit of 50 characters in a keyword search string!

Also, remember that when combining multiple series into a single TITLE search, you lose the granularity of prioritizing single series and can only prioritize the entire search string. This means you may have conflicts you didn't anticipate because you combined multiple series into a single search....

#32 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,055 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:37 AM

Also, remember that when combining multiple series into a single TITLE search, you lose the granularity of prioritizing single series and can only prioritize the entire search string. This means you may have conflicts you didn't anticipate because you combined multiple series into a single search....

This is why keeping each string to one channel is best... that will eliminate conflicts within the specific ARSL... As for conflicts caused by multiple ARSLs... I'd say, try and make only one ARSL for a major network like NBC or ABC, and all your others based on cable channels like USA and TNT. Thoes stations replay episodes multiple times and are usually available at different hours than the prime time series on the networks, and a lot of times, they all stay away from programing shows against their core competitors and run dates when possible... i.e. The Closer is on during summer and winter hiatis for most networks main programing...

#33 ONLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:50 AM

And your point is??

Just because older versions don't have limits doesn't mean that a newer version won't.

My point is obvious. I would be shocked if the new Tivo has limits. No surprise someone here is trying to make an implication that there will be limits though.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#34 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

I edited the first post to reflect the 50 character SEARCH limit. /steve
/steve

#35 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,196 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

My point is obvious. I would be shocked if the new Tivo has limits. No surprise someone here is trying to make an implication that there will be limits though.

I'm not implying there will be limits. I'm just saying that no one here knows for sure if there will or will not be limits, not even you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#36 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:31 AM

I'm not implying there will be limits. I'm just saying that no one here knows for sure if there will or will not be limits, not even you.

But, really, there is no rational reason to expect a limit to be imposed where one was not previously.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#37 OFFLINE   celblazer

celblazer

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

Thanks so much for this tip. I've shaved a lot off my list doing only a couple of nights. I wish I had seen this ages ago. :)
H25-700 / HR24-500 / HR20-100 / HR21-100
Mitsubishi 73c9
PS3
7.2 Surround
Logitech Revue
Xpand 102 3D glasses

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:02 PM

Thanks so much for this tip. I've shaved a lot off my list doing only a couple of nights. I wish I had seen this ages ago. :)

Yup. Thanks again to oldfantom, for his outside-the-box thinking! /steve
/steve

#39 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:02 PM

I edited the first post to reflect the 50 character SEARCH limit. /steve

Even with the 50 character limit it's still a pretty cool workaround.

Taking that loss kinda hard, aren't you? They're still in first place. ;)

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#40 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,196 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

But, really, there is no rational reason to expect a limit to be imposed where one was not previously.

There wasn't a rational reason to expect a limit on the HR2X's when they came out either.

I'm just saying... Don't assume.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#41 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

Remember, this Wish List request will help make this idea work more smoothly, so please vote for it at the link below, if you haven't already:

AUTORECORD matches should be grouped in PLAYLIST folders named for the recorded shows' titles, just as if they were recorded by SERIES LINKS.

TIA. /steve
/steve

#42 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

Taking that loss kinda hard, aren't you? They're still in first place. ;)

Hopefully I can turn it back around Sunday night. :) /steve
/steve

#43 OFFLINE   kog

kog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

AANY heroes life order medium TTITLE CCHAN 4

I just tried this search and I got no results returned. I changed the CCHAN to 11 which is my local NBC affliliate. I have a HR20-100 running the current software. I am not part of the CE program.

#44 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

I just tried this search and I got no results returned. I changed the CCHAN to 11 which is my local NBC affliliate. I have a HR20-100 running the current software. I am not part of the CE program.

I'm having issues as well. AANY heroes life order medium TTITLE CCHAN 4 is only matching Heroes on WNBC. If I run it without "life", I get the expected results. There seems to be an issue with either the word "life", or too many characters, which I'll report. /steve
/steve

#45 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,175 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

I am very curious to see how this pans out. I really don't want to lose a recording testing it though. I might try it on one station while still keeping a backup SL of each show. Now I just have to decide what to delete to make one.

#46 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:35 AM

I am very curious to see how this pans out. I really don't want to lose a recording testing it though. I might try it on one station while still keeping a backup SL of each show. Now I just have to decide what to delete to make one.

This one's working as expected:

AANY CSI trace minds mentalist hour TTITLE CCHAN 2

I've reported the Life problem to DirecTV in the appropriate "issues" thread.

/steve
/steve

#47 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:50 AM

AANY heroes life order medium TTITLE CCHAN 4

I believe I discovered what's causing the problem.

AANY life TTITLE only shows results out to the 23d. I think the HR reaches a limit of how many matches on the word "life" it can display in the results (500 by my estimate). Apparently, DirecTV is filtering by the word first and channel second, so there are no instances of Life in an NBC title within the first 500 matches.

Good news is that it should record... it just won't get scheduled until it's closer to the date and the AUTORECORD SEARCH can "find" it in the first 500 results.

Reporting this as an "issue" as well.

/steve
/steve

#48 OFFLINE   kog

kog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

Good news is that it should record... it just won't get scheduled until it's closer to the date and the AUTORECORD SEARCH can "find" it in the first 500 results.

Reporting this as an "issue" as well.

/steve

Thanks for the clarification. That kind of makes sense. I guess I just need to have faith! :rolleyes:

#49 OFFLINE   katzeye

katzeye

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:58 PM

When I try to use this feature. It adds my request to my SL list and won't let me do it because I am at 50.
Does this work around still work? if so what am I doing wrong?
If it helps I am using a HR-20-700 with an eSATA

#50 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:36 PM

When I try to use this feature. It adds my request to my SL list and won't let me do it because I am at 50.
Does this work around still work? if so what am I doing wrong?
If it helps I am using a HR-20-700 with an eSATA

The autorecord still counts as 1 SL out of the 50. If it is replacing several SL's, then delete one of them first, to add this one.
DogLover

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...