Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Switch for "1 to 2" HDMI?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RayGambo

RayGambo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

I still say that you should get a HDMI distribution amp. They work in a lot of situations where splitters won't.

For the distance involved I think it is worth trying a $30 splitter before plunking down $200 unless he has more ambitious future plans. Or running component cables.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

We had discussed the component/1080p issue in another thread. I don't personally have any relevant experience but other posters here (who obviously know more than I do) believe that component is capable of 1080p.

For me, the switch is still a great idea because running an HDMI cable into another room is far easier than running the three jacks for a component along with a toslink for sound.

My old time Warner box used to change res when switching from a SD channel to a HD channel (480p to 1080p) and my TV would always pick up the change and switch res. All while using component cables. Even now if I go in and change the res format my on my 722 TV will follow the change using component. Personally I've never been able to tell a difference in PQ between the two types of cable, but I suppose it all depends on how long your run is, and the quality of the cables you're using.

#23 OFFLINE   JimDillon1

JimDillon1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

I still say that you should get a HDMI distribution amp. They work in a lot of situations where splitters won't.

My apologies if I have been using the words "splitter" and "switch" somewhat interchangably. Let me try to clarify:

This is what I found and ordered the other day.
http://www.crhub.com...1080p-v13b.html

They call it an "HDMI splitter amplifier", but I believe it falls into the category of "HDMI Distribution Amp", as you call it, since it's distributing and amplifying the signal. It is definately not a switch. My bad for confusing the termonology.

Bill, if you believe an HDMI Distribution Amp is something else, could you provide a link to an example? Thanks.

This splitter/amplifier seems to have the latest HDMI compatibility (1.3b) and I was quite pleased with the price. I'll let you know how it goes.
--------------------------------------------------------
MAIN
Dish Network ViP722
Sony KDS55A3000 LCOS Rear Projection
Playstation 3
Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver
Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Speakers

DOWNSTAIRS
SHARP LC-37SB24U LCD
Panasonic DMR-ES45V DVD/VCR
JVC RX-554V Receiver

#24 OFFLINE   JimDillon1

JimDillon1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:56 AM

I haven't had good luck with splitters of any type. You don't get any of the new audio formats with the splitters (such as TrueHD, DTS HD Master, etc.). I also had trouble getting plain old DD 5.1 with an HDMI splitter. I now connect one TV via component and the other via HDMI.

Lujan - you're right on with your experience. I received the above referenced splitter/amplifier yesterday and the video worked fine but the Dolby Digital and/or DTS lights did not display on the Onkyo receiver when showing Dolby content from the 722. This seems particularly strange since the splitter is installed downstream from the receiver. That is, the 722 and PS3 are connected to the Onkyo, the output of the Onkyo goes into the splitter, then to the two TVs. Is HDMI smart enough to signal upstream to the Onkyo that DD 5.1 is not passing through the splitter?

Well, this is the second HDMI device I'm returning. On principle I'm resisting going to component for the local TV, but may have to give in. If anyone has experience with an HDMI 1-2 splitter the has FULL HDMI AUDIO and VIDEO COMPATIBILITY, I'm willing to pay for it!!
MAIN
Dish Network ViP722
Playstation 3
Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver

DOWNSTAIRS
SHARP LC-37SB24U LCD
JVC RX-554V Receiver

#25 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

Lujan - you're right on with your experience. I received the above referenced splitter/amplifier yesterday and the video worked fine but the Dolby Digital and/or DTS lights did not display on the Onkyo receiver when showing Dolby content from the 722. This seems particularly strange since the splitter is installed downstream from the receiver. That is, the 722 and PS3 are connected to the Onkyo, the output of the Onkyo goes into the splitter, then to the two TVs. Is HDMI smart enough to signal upstream to the Onkyo that DD 5.1 is not passing through the splitter?

Well, this is the second HDMI device I'm returning. On principle I'm resisting going to component for the local TV, but may have to give in. If anyone has experience with an HDMI 1-2 splitter the has FULL HDMI AUDIO and VIDEO COMPATIBILITY, I'm willing to pay for it!!

That's strange:confused: I would have thought that would work since the audio would stop at the Onkyo. Do you have HDMI Audio off? I'm not sure that's the name of the setting but it's to let the Onkyo know that HDMI audio is not going to the TV.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#26 OFFLINE   JimDillon1

JimDillon1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

That's strange:confused: I would have thought that would work since the audio would stop at the Onkyo. Do you have HDMI Audio off? I'm not sure that's the name of the setting but it's to let the Onkyo know that HDMI audio is not going to the TV.

Thanks for the suggestion - I checked and the HDMI Audio on the Onkyo is already set to 'off'. I've done some more research on these devices and one thing that concerns me is that in the descriptions of several they state that the resolutions of the 2 TVs need to be identical resolution or else one or both will not work. That's problematic for me since my Sony is 1080p and my Toshiba is 720p. I will keep looking but at this point I'm just going to stay with my current situation of manually changing the plug.

If someone finds a 1x2 splitter or distribution amp that is fully HDMI 1.3a compliant and can support two different resolutions, and supports all the HD audio, let me know! Thanks all for your help.
MAIN
Dish Network ViP722
Playstation 3
Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver

DOWNSTAIRS
SHARP LC-37SB24U LCD
JVC RX-554V Receiver

spam firewall