Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM lets many PD, onair talent go...

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

From DCRTV.com:

Confirmed: Axe Hits XMers - 10/14 - Early Tuesday, DCRTV told you that DC-based XM Satellite Radio was on the verge of making massing cuts following its summer merger with rival Sirius. On Tuesday evening, we got this from an XM source: "All the great people that are gone from XM radio, may we all RIP... Let's go back and take the terrestial world by storm... Gone but not forgotten: '50s Channel PD Ken Smith, '50s Channel MD Matt The Cat, '60s Channel PD Pat Clark, '80s Channel MD/afternooner Kandy Klutch, Cross-Country PD Jessie Scott, Decades Channel Senior PD Kurt Gilcrest, Cafe PD Bill Evans, all of XM Urban accept three people." Also among the 50-ish employees cut Tuesday: George Taylor Morris of Deep Tracks, '70s-On-7's John Clay; Billy Zero and Tobi from XMU, Ethel's Erik Range and Rick Lambert, and Bill Hutton of Lucy. And, another round of cuts could be coming in early November. The word is that Sirius XM suits have abandoned plans to continue separate line-ups for each service, and instead will feature one common channel line-up on both systems. With the Sirius music channel versions probably being offered on both. More soon.....

and from AllAccess:

Sadly, the number of departures from SIRIUS XM SATELLITE RADIO keep growing. And yes, these are all from the XM side:

BONEYARD PD/air talent KEVIN KASH exits and is in search of his next opportunity.

Regional Mexican channel, XM-92 AGUILA PD THE MAD MEXICAN exits.

70 ON 70s PD JOHN CLAY, XM PD BILLY ZERO and MD TOBI, New Wave FRED Channel PD RICK LAMBERT, Alternative Channel LUCY PD BILL HUTTON, and SOUL STREET PD BOBBY BENNETT all exit as well as SOUL STREET MD LEIGH HAMILTON.

Also leaving are CAFE CHANNEL MD BRIAN CHAMBERLAIN, and personality CATHY CARTER.

and DCRTV.com (today...updated):

10/15 - More cuts at DC's XM today. Soul Street's Bobby Bennett and Leigh Hamilton, Raw's Mz Kitti, The City's DJ Xclusive and Lisa Ivery, Viva's Karla Rodriguez, and Aguila's Mad Mexican. Plus Enlighten and '40s-On-4's Marlin Taylor, Ken Smith of '50s-On-5, Pat Clarke of '60s-On-6, XM America's Ray Knight, John Welch, and "Country Dan" Dixon, BK Kirkland of the Groove, plus Bill Evans, Brian Chamberlain, and Cathy Carter from XM Cafe. XM Gospel's Jay Bryant and Suite 62's Vic Clemens. Upwards of 80 have been led to the satrad unemployment gallows, so far, we hear. More soon.....

So, if you take it that the PD's/MD's (program directors, music directors) being fired indicates a "dropped" channel in the merger, that would mean...

- 50's on 5
- 60's on 6
- 70's on 7
- 80's on 8
- 90's on 9*
- America
- Suite 62
- X-Country
- XM Cafe
- Lucy
- Deep Tracks*
- Ethel
- Raw
- XMU
- Soul Street
- The City
- Viva
- Aguila
- Boneyard
- Fred
- XMLM
- The Groove
- America
- Beyond Jazz...

...are gutted. :(

*90's on 9 has no airstaff, but the PD, Kurt Gilchrist was let go. Deep Tracks has GTM retire "voluntarily", though some say he would have been let go eventually anyway.

#The latest update from DCRTV.com has Marlin Taylor's name removed from the list of those let go. So, perhaps 40's on 4, Escape and Enlighten (or something like them) are still safe. I've removed them from the list.

NOTE: George Taylor Morris is rumored to have left due to lung cancer (and perhaps the writing on the wall).
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ThunderRoad

ThunderRoad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

And it sounds like they could be reneging on offering ala carte (a big selling point to the FCC). According to Radio & Records:

Another date being tossed around is Nov. 5, when it's rumored that a new combined Sirius XM lineup will be rolled out -- rather than doing an a la carte/pick from both sides dealie like had been previously announced, it's looking like both will consolidate into a single channel lineup that will be beamed out over both Sirius' and XM's networks.

#3 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

And it sounds like they could be reneging on offering ala carte (a big selling point to the FCC). According to Radio & Records:

Another date being tossed around is Nov. 5, when it's rumored that a new combined Sirius XM lineup will be rolled out -- rather than doing an a la carte/pick from both sides dealie like had been previously announced, it's looking like both will consolidate into a single channel lineup that will be beamed out over both Sirius' and XM's networks.

They won't be reneging on offering a la carte...they simply will only allow picking from the new, merged lineup, and not "some from XM, some from SIRIUS". That's still, I believe, following the conditions of the merger...just not as hoped by most subscribers.
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,469 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

Some from XM, some from Sirius is not scheduled in November. Never was.

They need the multi-service radios to do that. The first thing we will see is the a la carte radios for each service.

Why can't people in the media keep this straight. First was the "Best of" then the a la carte *then* the single radio for both services. They haven't even announced the packages for the single radio yet.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   bjflynn04

bjflynn04

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:26 PM

I was using the new xm2go music manager that I just downloaded from the xmradio site to manage the songs on my inno and noticed that on the xm content that songs I had recorded off 47- ethel the channel was listed as 47- ATN Radio and the songs recorded off 68- The Heat was listed as 68- Top 12.
[ATTACH]15984[/ATTACH]
Primestar Subscriber 97 to 99, Directv Subscriber since 1999, XM Subscriber since 12/18/2004.
My Setup updated March 2010

#6 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hmmm...just for the heck of it, I recorded a couple others...

159 - ATN Radio shows up as 159 - Sports Guide
143 - XM Sports Guide shows up as...143 - Sports Guide

...so, it stops there...so far...
Nathan
setup:

#7 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

I don't know what is going to happen or not happen, but did anyone actually think that Sirius was going to improve XM? Any corporate takeover means FEWER jobs. Always has and always will. The FCC had the regulation that said there were to be two licenses held by two individual companies. Well guess what that was there for a reason. COMPETITION! The fact that there is no longer competition for satellite radio will mean fewer offerings from satellite radio, PERIOD.

My theory: One music channel for each kind of music (I was actually hoping to have The Beat 36 and BPM but I guess I won’t get that anytime soon). There will probably also be a couple less niche channels and a bunch more sports channels.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

#8 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:19 PM

I just felt all along we and the FCC were being lied to so the merger would pass. But being merged is not going to do Sirius/XM any good, if they both start to lose their customers because of line up changes that people don't like.

#9 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

I just felt all along we and the FCC were being lied to so the merger would pass. But being merged is not going to do Sirius/XM any good, if they both start to lose their customers because of line up changes that people don't like.

For that matter, it won't help if the FCC realizes that it was lied to; the FCC's approval of the merger was conditional, and the agency retains oversight over those conditions. Going down the road Mel seems to favor risks massive fines and/or a forced dissolution of the merger, neither of which would bode well for either the company/ies or the subscribers.

#10 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:44 AM

They've lied before, so it is not much of a stretch to believe they would lie now.

And they'll probably get away with it.

#11 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:52 AM

Where has it been proven that SIRIUS/XM has "lied" to the FCC?? They said from the onset that "duplications" would be merged/deleted in order to cut costs... This is part of that.

As much I hate that Lucy & Deep Tracks look like they're gone, I knew it was possible and likely. And the released names was by accident on XM's side...we don't know who/how many got fired from SIRIUS (though I do doubt it's as many).
Nathan
setup:

#12 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:47 AM

Where has it been proven that SIRIUS/XM has "lied" to the FCC?? They said from the onset that "duplications" would be merged/deleted in order to cut costs... This is part of that.

As much I hate that Lucy & Deep Tracks look like they're gone, I knew it was possible and likely. And the released names was by accident on XM's side...we don't know who/how many got fired from SIRIUS (though I do doubt it's as many).

They said that dual-format receivers would be available soon after the two services were originally launched. That was a lie.

They originally agreed to the stipulation that the two services would never merge.

Although not technically a "lie," they have been cited by the FCC for illegal power output from their FM modulators, and improper operation of the terrestrial XM translators.

These breaks would certainly have not been given to traditional broadcast radio or TV stations. And yet the satellite broadcasters still can't stay afloat.

#13 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:03 AM

They said that dual-format receivers would be available soon after the two services were originally launched. That was a lie.

They said a la carte within three months. They just introduced that...almost a month ahead of schedule. They said dual-format receivers within 9 months. (PDF proof) They're on track to do that...some say by Christmas or mid-January.

They originally agreed to the stipulation that the two services would never merge.

And they aren't...completely. Just the music channels. They ALWAYS said the music channels would probably merge soon after merger.
And they never said "never".

Although not technically a "lie," they have been cited by the FCC for illegal power output from their FM modulators, and improper operation of the terrestrial XM translators.

...for which they paid a $20 million fine.
Nathan
setup:

#14 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

The dual-service receivers were promised way back when XM and Sirius went on the air. I'd say they are a little behind schedule.

Yes, the two services have merged. That was the FCC holdup--the law had to be changed before they could do it. It is even starting to look like the channel lineups will be identical, although that has nothing to do with whether the two companies have become one or not--they obviously have.

The record is there for anyone to see ; it's not really debatable as to the past honesty of the two companies. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't argue on the forums, because what one other poster thinks is really not that important to me.

#15 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:43 AM

The dual-service receivers were promised way back when XM and Sirius went on the air. I'd say they are a little behind schedule.

They never promised one. They were required by the FCC to develop one. Well, they did...they just both thought that there was no financial reason to sell it, since they couldn't subsidize such a receiver and possibly not get the subscription to fund it. BTW, why wasn't DirecTV/Dish Network required something similar?? Ah...the NAB...that's right...

Yes, the two services have merged. That was the FCC holdup--the law had to be changed before they could do it. It is even starting to look like the channel lineups will be identical, although that has nothing to do with whether the two companies have become one or not--they obviously have.

SIRIUS & XM never said they wouldn't merge. But yes, there was a "rule" (not law) that forbid them to merge. But laws are not always perfect, and can always be repealed/changed.

The record is there for anyone to see ; it's not really debatable as to the past honesty of the two companies. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't argue on the forums, because what one other poster thinks is really not that important to me.

Agreed. And don't get me wrong: I'm NOT a fan of what's happening, but I can't say I didn't see it coming. I just thought it would be more of a "merger" than a "takeover". I was wrong.
Nathan
setup:

#16 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:47 AM

Well, I expected this from the beginning, but I am still dissapointed to see it come to fruition. Given how Sirius has much shallower playlists, this will be bad for many XM listeners. I had help out a glimmer of hope that they would allow some of the goodness of XM to rub off onto Sirius, but I guess not.

Hopefully, they will at least keep Fred.

And we can argue till teh cows come home about the Dual radio thing. The SATRAD cos say they never needed to actually sell the thing, but why on earth would the FCC write that into the licenses if the intent was not to have it be available to the public. Congrats on their lawyering skills (and boo to the FCC for not making it more clear), but surely they do not expect the public to beleive that interpretation.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#17 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

So when will it be announced that Madison and Kayla of Sirius will be gone? Oh yeah it probably won't, Sirius likes to have airhead on air personalities that babble about irrelevant stupidness. Since the merger was approved I dropped one XM subscription and Sirius Internet Radio Premium, keep pushing me, I'll be gone. If Trinity is released from Watercolors, another XM subscription will go.

Merger of equals, my ass.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#18 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

Per AllAccess.com, XM Cafe's MD Brian Chamberlain and Cathy Carter are leaving...so, that sticks a fork in XM Cafe...
Nathan
setup:

#19 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

No point in keeping duplicate channels of the same music. We all expected such channels to get dropped which is fine.

I GREATLY prefer Sirius over XM anyways. And the channels they are keeping are the various talk, news and sports which is about the only thing I want from XM. So it works out great.

#20 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

i hope big tracks xm-49 and top tracks xm-46 stay i like my commercial free/dj free tunes!
Jimmy

spam firewall