Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM lets many PD, onair talent go...

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

nah steve he must work for an fm station

i dont miss fm radio all i listen too is xm and im not turning back
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

I know you're in love with your terrestrial radio, but keep discussion of that slop out of this thread, this is about a superior form of audio entertainment that can run circles around that ancient crap.

But I'm not done with this yet...

The CEO for the newly-combined Sirius XM Radio was CEO of Infinity Broadcasting Group during the 1990's. This is the same guy that pioneered national syndication of radio shows. This is one of the guys that made "that ancient crap" what it is today.

So as someone without much skin in this game (just XM on DirecTV), I am just as concerned with seeing the consolidation of Sirius XM radio, which is exactly the cookie cutter effect that happened to local radio in the 1990's, thanks to Clear Channel and Infinity Broadcasting.

#163 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

The CEO for the newly-combined Sirius XM Radio was CEO of Infinity Broadcasting Group during the 1990's. This is the same guy that pioneered national syndication of radio shows. This is one of the guys that made "that ancient crap" what it is today.

So as someone without much skin in this game (just XM on DirecTV), I am just as concerned with seeing the consolidation of Sirius XM radio, which is exactly the cookie cutter effect that happened to local radio in the 1990's, thanks to Clear Channel and Infinity Broadcasting.

I agree 100% and that is why I was against this merger all along. Heck, I was already thinking XM had practically sold out compared to teh early days prgramming-wise. In their dash to get the mass market, SiriusXM will most likely become a national version of what they supposedly were created to compete against, just with cursing allowed on some channels. How sad.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#164 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

Many people that are/were involved with XM and Sirius are former terrestrial radio execs and emplyees that jumped ship as the industry started to sink. That is nothing new.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#165 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

It may not be anything new, but it also may be that those same executives were the cause of the hole in the hull of the ship.

The people that are passionate about the music are the DJ's and the PD's; the people running the business of music are the VP$ and CEO$. And it was their running the business of radio that created the unhitching of local radio.

#166 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

It may not be anything new, but it also may be that those same executives were the cause of the hole in the hull of the ship.

The people that are passionate about the music are the DJ's and the PD's; the people running the business of music are the VP$ and CEO$. And it was their running the business of radio that created the unhitching of local radio.

What better talent pool do you expect to populate management of a satellite radio company. DJs and PDs often lack any financial experience. They can't run a company. By this reasoning, the Department of Transportation should be run by the guy that does the best job painting the yellow line down the middle of the road by your house.

#167 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

What better talent pool do you expect to populate management of a satellite radio company. DJs and PDs often lack any financial experience.

But you are now arguing that the people that destroyed the offerings of terrestrial radio (while making immense profits) are good enough to "save" satellite radio, when the track record says no...

Mel Karmazin obliterated local terrestrial radio by replicating and syndicating stations across the US. That cookie-cutter format was despised by many of the people here extolling the virtues of satellite radio. The guy now in charge of the only satellite company was the guy that helped create the downfall of content in local radio. There is a silver-threaded lining, from fundinguniverse.com:

Karmazin's penchant for efficiency started at the top; Infinity's entire corporate staff in the early 1990s consisted of six people: Karmazin, a chief financial officer, an administrative assistant, and a three-person accounting office.

Infinity's spartan corporate staff was made possible by the autonomy that Karmazin afforded his local radio affiliates as long as their ratings continued to rise. An important element of Karmazin's strategy was decentralized local management. Infinity relied on a system of performance-based financial incentives to motivate its workers and attract high-quality personnel, who were well-compensated by industry standards. General managers earned money for increasing cash flow, for example, and program directors were rewarded for higher ratings. Karmazin was particularly proud of Infinity's pay scale for advertising salespeople, which was a straight 6 percent commission with no limit on total earnings. Many salespeople earned more than $100,000 annually, with a few topping the $300,000 mark. "If a salesperson is going to get rich on a six percent commission," Karmazin stated in a Broadcasting article, "the company is going to get very rich on the other 94 percent."

The good news is that advertising on the medium was the key to making a profitable radio group. The bad news is that advertising is hardly sold in satellite radio. Yet.

EDIT: The reality is that someone in the pay TV industry would have been a bit better suited for the job. Mel took over in November 2004 and the stock was between $6 to $8 a share. Now, 100 stamps cost more than 100 shares of Sirius' stock.

#168 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

But you are now arguing that the people that destroyed the offerings of terrestrial radio (while making immense profits) are good enough to "save" satellite radio, when the track record says no...

No, you can't have it both ways. If the DJs and PDs are responsible for good radio, they are responsible for bad radio. Radio is a business. When it fails to make money it goes off the air. Some radio is better than other radio, obviously. But DJs and PDs are not charged with returning shareholder value. While they are the experts (hopefully) at what should be on air, they aren't the experts at making it profitable.

Many of us would love to decide what's played on a channel and would end up with an audience of 1 (or less). While you may not like Mel (who does?), what are the other options?

DJs and PDs are not able to make decisions on a public company level. This leaves you with bringing someone in from a completely unrelated area or finding someone with at least some area in the field of radio. Either way, you're looking for someone that can run a company, not someone that picks out your favorite songs.

#169 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

No, you can't have it both ways. If the DJs and PDs are responsible for good radio, they are responsible for bad radio. Radio is a business. When it fails to make money it goes off the air.

DJs and PDs are not able to make decisions on a public company level. This leaves you with bringing someone in from a completely unrelated area or finding someone with at least some area in the field of radio. Either way, you're looking for someone that can run a company, not someone that picks out your favorite songs.

Again, my point. What made Infinity Broadcasting was the removal of local radio by becoming a nationally syndicated behemoth led by Howard Stern.

Is what makes Sirius XM a national behemoth led by expletive Howard Stern and cost cutter Mel Karmazin? Or is it the deeper playlists of music that drew many to XM to begin?

Sirius XM won't be everything to everyone. The reailty is the merger is to combine operational synergies and reduce the cost of duplication, making the company more cost efficient and effective. However, by slashing the XM staff, which grew their subscription base on the strength of music and sports, leaves the people of Sirius in charge. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, growth at Sirius was only accomplished by giving Howard Stern half a billion dollars, not by music choices.

Not that I mind, but I did just want to throw it out there. It isn't going to be music choices that drive Sirius XM going forward.

#170 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

Again, my point. What made Infinity Broadcasting was the removal of local radio by becoming a nationally syndicated behemoth led by Howard Stern.

Is what makes Sirius XM a national behemoth led by expletive Howard Stern and cost cutter Mel Karmazin? Or is it the deeper playlists of music that drew many to XM to begin?

Sirius XM won't be everything to everyone. The reailty is the merger is to combine operational synergies and reduce the cost of duplication, making the company more cost efficient and effective. However, by slashing the XM staff, which grew their subscription base on the strength of music and sports, leaves the people of Sirius in charge. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, growth at Sirius was only accomplished by giving Howard Stern half a billion dollars, not by music choices.

Not that I mind, but I did just want to throw it out there. It isn't going to be music choices that drive Sirius XM going forward.

I think to grow satellite radio is going to have to develop more exclusive talent on the talk show side. Music is just too competitive with digital music players easily interfaced into new cars. Not saying music isn't going to be a substantial piece of the satellite market, but with the state of the music industry and the competitive nature of that area it's unlikely it will drive the type of growth they want.

Chris Russo and developing his sports talk channel was a step in the development direction.

One other possibility...if they can free up enough bandwidth would be to go back to some local/regional programming. Perhaps covering each of the top 100 DMAs with a local channel...this would also give them a basis to generate local ad revenue.

They do have a serious issue coming up...what happens at the end of Stern's five-year contract? If he chooses to leave/retire there could be huge financial ramifications.

#171 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

The problem is they would never get anything local past the NAB.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#172 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

Didn't Sirius and XM have local traffic reporting? As long as they didn't use their repeater network to broadcast only locally, the NAB had no pull.

I think to grow satellite radio is going to have to develop more exclusive talent on the talk show side. Music is just too competitive with digital music players easily interfaced into new cars. Not saying music isn't going to be a substantial piece of the satellite market, but with the state of the music industry and the competitive nature of that area it's unlikely it will drive the type of growth they want.

That is where I believe where Sirius XM is headed.

Think the development of MTV over the past 15 years. Now MTV only has programs and no videos.

Sirius XM needs to find that "unfair advantage" that Denis Leary shouts on those Ford F-150 commercials.

#173 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:04 AM

They're not disallowed from doing local/regional shows. They have local weather and traffic.

When I say local, they could be broadcast nationally, but have a local regional focus. So, there would be a NY Metro Station, Philly Station, Baltimore/DC, and so on. Might not be able to do school closings, but could at least cover more locally oriented news/events/sports than the national stations do.

#174 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

I thought about mentioning the traffic thing, but did not. The NAB desperately wants them to not do that and I thought they threatened to sue at some point. But you are right, they were not able to stop it. However, I would expect that to change if SiriusXM was to do anything more local than that. Didn;t they try or suceed in getting the FCC to make no local part of the merger agreement?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...