Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new user 722 question

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   madtowner11

madtowner11

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

I'm using the VIP 722 in dual mode (the unit is sitting below my HDTV downstairs, and I have coax running from the 722 to my non-HDTV upstairs).

I'm finding an annoying issue with recorded programs: When I set a program to record, it asks me if I want to record it on Tuner 1 or Tuner 2. Well it seems that I basically need to know when I'm going to be watching TV upstairs and when I'm going to be watching TV downstairs because if I'm downstairs and I set a program to record, I'm most likely going to tell it to use Tuner 2 so I can can change channels on Tuner 1, etc. But then if I'm upstairs on Tuner 2 while a show is recording on Tuner 2, I can't change channels without it wanting to cancel the recording?!?!?

Is there a simple way to either switch to Tuner 1 while I'm watching TV upstairs on Tuner 2 when Tuner 2 is being used for recording? Or is there a quicker way to tell it to record on Tuner 1 right now instead of Tuner 2 when I'm watching TV on Tuner 2? Last night I basically had to delete the recording series and create a new one (and this interrupts the recording).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   madtowner11

madtowner11

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

... and since last night while I was watching TV upstairs on Tuner 2 and there was a recording in progress on Tuner 2 and I changed the recording to be Tuner 1, instead, now if I'm downstairs watching TV on Tuner 1 when that same recording comes on and it's set to Tuner 1, will I have to change it to Tuner 2?

I think one thing I've learned is that I have to make sure to hit the Off button on the upstairs (UHF) remote control, or I'll be stuck with one tuner when I go to watch TV downstairs. If I've forgotten to hit the Off button upstairs, is there a way I can get 2 tuners available to me downstairs without running upstairs to turn it off?

I guess what I'm possibly misunderstanding is the connection between my upstairs TV and Tuner 2. Can the upstairs use Tuner 1 or is it tied to Tuner 2?

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Is there a simple way to either switch to Tuner 1 while I'm watching TV upstairs on Tuner 2 when Tuner 2 is being used for recording? Or is there a quicker way to tell it to record on Tuner 1 right now instead of Tuner 2 when I'm watching TV on Tuner 2? Last night I basically had to delete the recording series and create a new one (and this interrupts the recording).

OK, so here's my question... Do you needs to watch separate channels on TV1 vs TV2? Because in the scenario you list, what I would do is use "Single Mode" This would tie TV1 and TV2 together and the same content would be displayed on both Tv's. You could then record on Tuner 2 in the back ground and never interrupt live viewing. You can also swap to and from the show recording anytime you want by pressing Pip Swap. You can put the receiver in and out of "Dual" and "Single" user mode pretty much anytime you want. However if both Tuner 1 and Tuner 2 are recording Sat content, then the only Live viewing possible is whats recording or off Tuner 1's OTA tuner if you have a OTA Antenna connected.

#4 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

... and since last night while I was watching TV upstairs on Tuner 2 and there was a recording in progress on Tuner 2 and I changed the recording to be Tuner 1, instead, now if I'm downstairs watching TV on Tuner 1 when that same recording comes on and it's set to Tuner 1, will I have to change it to Tuner 2?

I think one thing I've learned is that I have to make sure to hit the Off button on the upstairs (UHF) remote control, or I'll be stuck with one tuner when I go to watch TV downstairs. If I've forgotten to hit the Off button upstairs, is there a way I can get 2 tuners available to me downstairs without running upstairs to turn it off?

I guess what I'm possibly misunderstanding is the connection between my upstairs TV and Tuner 2. Can the upstairs use Tuner 1 or is it tied to Tuner 2?

Again, if you are in single mode you can swap sat tuners at will by pressing PiP Swap. Also, you can only access the OTA Tuner from TV2 if you are in Single mode. I love this receiver, I am sure as you get used to it you will as well. I often find myself recording 3 events at the same time while TV1 and TV2 are playing back separate previously recorded events at the same time.

There is a thread in this forum that tracks all the 622/722 tricks and tips. I would take a look at it because it is very helpful.

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:22 AM

Do you ever watch two different programs in the two rooms? Or do you view one of the TVs OR the other?

If you don't need to watch different programming on the two TVs at the same time, run the receiver in Single mode instead of Dual mode. That way you can easily swap between the tuners. On the upstairs TV you tune to the modulated channel for TV1 and you can watch whatever is showing.

Another option is to use the OTA tuner when possible. If you have an OTA antenna connected to the receiver, you have three tuners instead of just two. If what you want to record in on an OTA channel, record it OTA and both of your sat tuners will still be available.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   madtowner11

madtowner11

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

How do I switch from Single mode to Dual mode? There may be rare cases when both tv's are in use on different channels, and in these cases I understand that if a show is recording it will have to be watched on that Tuner.

#7 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:24 AM

Press the mode button on the front panel.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#8 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

How do I switch from Single mode to Dual mode? There may be rare cases when both TV's are in use on different channels, and in these cases I understand that if a show is recording it will have to be watched on that Tuner.

In the front right hand side door of the receiver, the single/dual "mode" button is directly to the right of the power button. You will see the power LED change from the icon with two squares to the one square when in Single Mode.

#9 OFFLINE   madtowner11

madtowner11

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:16 AM

So is it true that if I'm in Dual Mode, my upstairs TV will always be viewing Tuner 2? And if my upstairs TV has hit the Off button for the receiver, the downstairs TV will have both tuners available (as long as it's not recording something)?

If I'm home alone I suppose Single Mode is the way to go. It will be very rare that both TV's will be in use at the same time, so that should take care of the recording issues. And if I have a need for both TV's to be in use at the same time, I'll just have to deal with the recording issue if I'm recording something on Tuner 2 and want to watch something different than that upstairs. Is there a quick way to tell a show that's recording on Tuner 2 to switch over to Tuner 2?

Thanks, I think I understand it a bit better. But I'm still curious about 2 things: Can I make Tuner 2 available downstairs even if the upstairs remote has made Tuner 2 "active"? Can I do this without physically changing it to Single Mode at the box?

#10 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:36 AM

So is it true that if I'm in Dual Mode, my upstairs TV will always be viewing Tuner 2? And if my upstairs TV has hit the Off button for the receiver, the downstairs TV will have both tuners available (as long as it's not recording something)?

Not quite. If in Dual Mode TV1 will only view Tuner 1, and TV2 will only view Tuner 2. However TV1 and TV2 will share the same my recordings list. The only exception to this rule is if you enter an event that is currently recording on the opposite Tuner from the opposite TV location.

Is there a quick way to tell a show that's recording on Tuner 2 to switch over to Tuner 2?

If your in Dual Mode you can see if Tuner one or Tuner two are recording by glancing at the front panel of the receiver. You will see the red recording LED's by TV1 or TV2. If in Single Mode all recordings are dumped into TV1's LED. You can also see what's recording on which tuner by Pressing the DVR button twice and scroll to the top of your events list. If somethings recording you will see the event name with a recording icon next to the title. If in Dual Mode the recording icon will contain a number of the tuner that is recording the event. There are other ways, but simplifying what I am explaining these are the easiest.

Thanks, I think I understand it a bit better. But I'm still curious about 2 things: Can I make Tuner 2 available downstairs even if the upstairs remote has made Tuner 2 "active"? Can I do this without physically changing it to Single Mode at the box?

You can not switch between Single and Dual modes via the remote... at least not at this time. When in Single Mode, both remotes control TV1.

#11 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:56 AM

Going to have to go back and read these posts... But I did want to make one quick comment (Hopefully not already made). If your use case is that you watch either from one TV or the other but not both, then I would recommend that you keep your 722 in single mode and on the rare occasion you need to watch two separate things at one you toggle to dual mode.

If you the purpose is to watch two things separately alot then either you go with two DVRs or use the 722 in dual mode but you do give up some functionality. There was one document that talked about how recordPlus works. If I find it I will link to it. Dual mode users should read that document as it describes dual mode behavior nicely.

This thread might be useful
http://www.dbstalk.c...ight=RecordPlus
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#12 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

Also, look at the Record Plus setting. Using Record Plus enabled you can set the default tuner you want to use for recordings. For example Enabled on TV2 would set timers to first record on the second tuner as the default.

Once a recording has started, you can not switch tuners for it. You would have to stop the recording and restart it. In Dual mode you can only stop the recording on the TV who's tuner is being used. Think of Dual Mode as having two single tuner boxes instead of one box. One location should not be able to effect the other location. There are of course some exceptions (timer scheduling and shared recordings for example) but in general that is the way it should work.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:06 AM

Ok.. found the record plus document. Added it to the tips section (Really need to update that section). You can find the document below.

http://www.dbstalk.c...rReceivers3.pdf
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#14 OFFLINE   RayGambo

RayGambo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:18 AM

A TV can be "tied" to Tuner1, Tuner2 or both. Depends on the start and end point of the cables. For instance, I have T1 connected via HDMI to HDTV, it is also connected to every other TV via coax and modulation on Channel 29 (arbitrary choice). Likewise T2 is connected to HDTV via RCA jacks and everywhere else via the same coax (Channel 31). Since HDTV has many inputs, I also connected T1 with RCA (in case the HDMI connection fails - the cables are too expensive to stock spares). If you don't want the exercise obtain another 6.3 IR/UHF Pro remote. Set T1 to address 1 on Remote1 (Green UHF Pro Key) and T2 to address 3 on Remote2 (Blue UHF Pro Key) or whatever addresses you like. You can control both tuners from anywhere in the house. If you are like me and don't want to carry remotes in your pocket get 3 additional (2 for T1, 2 for T2) and leave a T1/T2 set upstairs and one downstairs. Actually you can leave the 5.3 IR only remote in the receiver location and save by getting one less (2 additional). Just remember that it the 5.3 is only good in the area of the receiver.

#15 OFFLINE   RayGambo

RayGambo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:28 AM

Not quite. If in Dual Mode TV1 will only view Tuner 1, and TV2 will only view Tuner 2. However TV1 and TV2 will share the same my recordings list. The only exception to this rule is if you enter an event that is currently recording on the opposite Tuner from the opposite TV location.

If set up properly you can view Tuner1 and Tuner 2 from any TV.
---

You can not switch between Single and Dual modes via the remote... at least not at this time. When in Single Mode, both remotes control TV1.

A major deficiency in my opinion.

#16 OFFLINE   RayGambo

RayGambo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

Duplicate

#17 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:05 AM

Even in Dual User Mode, you can view either tuner on TV2. You have to configure Modulator Setup in the Installation Menu. Select your channel you wish to output each TV on then change your channel on your TV. Caveat: you won't be able to control TV1 from your TV2 remote.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

Protected By... spam firewall...And...