Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

One week after DISH Install, 722 bites the dust

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

In the middle of the evening last night, I started to hear a loud hum. I presume that is the fan (probably not the HD). The unit is totally unobstructed so it is probably not overheating or anything. Anyway, the hum is loud enough now that I can hear it in the next room and over the TV.

Called DISH, and they weren't much help. But, they agreed to send a new unit over via UPS.

An inauspicious start to my relationship with DISH.

Sigh.

Oh, not that it is vaguely relevant but within a few hours of that happening, I got a flat tire and my DSL line went down. Crappy night of electronic/mechanical failures!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:02 PM

Did you power it down and restart it? The receiver that is, not the flat tire.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

Did you power it down and restart it? The receiver that is, not the flat tire.

Yup. Tried that multiple times.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

In the middle of the evening last night, I started to hear a loud hum. I presume that is the fan (probably not the HD). The unit is totally unobstructed so it is probably not overheating or anything. Anyway, the hum is loud enough now that I can hear it in the next room and over the TV.

Called DISH, and they weren't much help. But, they agreed to send a new unit over via UPS.

An inauspicious start to my relationship with DISH.

Sigh.

Oh, not that it is vaguely relevant but within a few hours of that happening, I got a flat tire and my DSL line went down. Crappy night of electronic/mechanical failures!

When I got my first 722 last fall, it's hard drive started to fail in two days so they sent me a new one. When they sent me a replacement last month because they wanted mine to be able to work on the audio dropout problem, the replacement didn't even make it through activation and they had to send another. But once you finally get one that works, it's all good!:)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

That sounds like disappointing quality control - although it should be noted that D* subscribers report similar luck. And, I've had multiple DirecTivo units crap out on me over the years. So, as long as Dish makes the effort to resolve the problem in a timely manner, I'll be OK with it.

It will suck if I can't watch sports this weekend though.

#6 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

When I got my first 722 last fall, it's hard drive started to fail in two days so they sent me a new one. When they sent me a replacement last month because they wanted mine to be able to work on the audio dropout problem, the replacement didn't even make it through activation and they had to send another. But once you finally get one that works, it's all good!:)

I have found that when the 722 appears to fail at activation that it is not always bad. I installed one the other day and it took 3 hours to get it going. I was so desperate that I called Tech. Support (yeah that was a total waste of time) and then kept doing resets (front panel and unplugging), check switch ( sometimes it would Grey it out so I couldn't do a check switch). I don't know what caused it to finally start working but it did. Sometimes when things lock up I have had to go to TV2 and it would work on TV2 and let me finish doing the setup and everything would be O.K.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

I have found that when the 722 appears to fail at activation that it is not always bad. I installed one the other day and it took 3 hours to get it going. I was so desperate that I called Tech. Support (yeah that was a total waste of time) and then kept doing resets (front panel and unplugging), check switch ( sometimes it would Grey it out so I couldn't do a check switch). I don't know what caused it to finally start working but it did. Sometimes when things lock up I have had to go to TV2 and it would work on TV2 and let me finish doing the setup and everything would be O.K.

I think that TV2 thing had possibilities, but after the software download the box just kept rebooting without ever giving me any chance for control at TV1. And the tech support guy was knowledgeable and all, but even though he acknowledged from the beginning that it was probably a lost cause we had to wait 45 minutes to see if it would fix itself. It didn't.

#8 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:06 PM

And after you leave, one like that keeps running?
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#9 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

It has been 3 days. The only call we received from the customer was when she accidentally changed the input on her TV.

#10 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

I know there are a lot of complex variables here. But, I think DISH might want to take a look at the quality control issues. Stories like the above are troubling.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

I know there are a lot of complex variables here. But, I think DISH might want to take a look at the quality control issues. Stories like the above are troubling.

Used to trouble me alot. Now I just go with the flow. Of course my wife might not agree that I go with the flow. Seems I rant and rave.:eek2:

#12 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

Used to trouble me alot. Now I just go with the flow. Of course my wife might not agree that I go with the flow. Seems I rant and rave.:eek2:

Yeah, well right now I'm about to be without TV for 3 - 5 days - and I can't say I'm at all happy about it.

spam firewall