Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast Hits HD Milestone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,354 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

TVWeek News:

Comcast Reaches HD Milestone

By Andrew Krukowski, TVWeek

Comcast, continuing its push toward offering more high-definition program by year’s end, is celebrating its milestone of more than 1,000 HD options for its subscribers.

Touting “more than 1,000 high-definition viewing choices,” Comcast is on track with its Project Infinity, announced during 2008’s Consumer Electronics Show as an initiative geared toward offering more linear and on-demand HD programming.

“Consumers can’t get enough HD, so we’re now offering over a thousand HD choices, five times more than last year. However, it’s not just about HD volume, but about having the highest-quality content consumers really want, whether they want to watch live or on their schedule.”

Comcast’s HD lineup includes more than 200 movies, live sporting events through several outlets including ESPN and TBS and nearly 300 television series, in both linear and on-demand formats.

http://www.tvweek.co...d_milestone.php

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:55 PM

I heard this same radio commercial today and nearly fell down laughing.. there aren't even 1000 HD channels.. this "HD options" BS is getting really old.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

:sleeping:

#4 OFFLINE   rhambling

rhambling

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

:icon_lame and :beatdeadhorse:

SWMline-5 ODU
Winegard SS-2000 OTA
Samsung LN-T4042h 40" LCD
HR21-100 & AM-21[hdmi][wired][ups]
Samsung DVD-1080P7[YPbPr]
Xbox 360[hdmi][wired]
Yamaha RX-V363 AVR
Linksys WRT54G [Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c]

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

I heard this same radio commercial today and nearly fell down laughing.. there aren't even 1000 HD channels.. this "HD options" BS is getting really old.

This is why they use the carefully chosen terminology.

The real question is how many of these options are dependent on your package choice (not to mention your choice of receiving hardware).

#6 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

The real question is how many of these options are dependent on your package choice (not to mention your choice of receiving hardware).

Precisely. They don't say channels... they say options or viewing choices or anything to lead you to think channels, without saying the word. They can advertise that they are the HD leader without saying that they have more HD channels than anyone (which they don't). The latter would be lying, the former is creative marketing.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,354 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:58 AM

Depends on how one looks at it -- channels or choices.

Before VOD was introduced, for example, let's say I had 50 premium HD movie channels from Comcast. Therefor, at any given moment I could choose any one of 50 different HD movies currently showing, but not all starting when I was ready to sit down and watch.

After VOD came into the picture, let's say I can call up any one of an additional 100 HD movies, giving me access to 150 HD movies at any given time, so my choices in HD movies have tripled. Even better, the HD movies on VOD will start when I say, not according to a predetermined schedule.

Some of you may still be hung up on HD channel-counts, but the new reality in HD programming is 'choices'. To think of it another way, Comcast's VOD puts a video store in my cable box.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

If you have their HD STB (any model) you can play back any of the content. Hardware is not an issue.

There is are a lot of PPV HD movies and some free HD movies but at least a few months ago when I was with them there was nothing near 1,000 HD "options", I don't even think there was 1,000 onDemand videos period. :confused:
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

#9 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:06 PM

~yawn~
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR