Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
565 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:38 AM

Not a single freeze up, bad recording, or anything similar in almost 2 months of heavy use - I attached it to the 21 the day it was installed.

Prior to that, it was used it for almost a year with a TiVO HD with the same good results. Maybe I was just lucky and got a "good" unit?

Been looking at reviews on retail sites and they are mixed. But who knows if the person writing the bad review knew what he was doing? I thought WD just came out with the expanders. And with that thought, I assumed they would be coming out with larger units. Know anything about this?

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rockymountaind

rockymountaind

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

Been looking at reviews on retail sites and they are mixed. But who knows if the person writing the bad review knew what he was doing? I thought WD just came out with the expanders. And with that thought, I assumed they would be coming out with larger units. Know anything about this?

Rich

They've been out about a year & were certified for the SA 8300 and TiVo HD DVRs (they are the only expansion option for the TiVo HD). The drive itself is made for DVR use, and has worked well for me.

I keep hearing rumors of a 1TB model, but haven't seen one yet.

#23 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

I have an HR21-700 Can I use this 1.5TB INTERNAL Drive? Currently I have a smaller internal drive that I installed and was looking at swapping it out.
ST31500341AS
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148337

#24 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

I don't think there's any known reason for it NOT to work, but the 1.5TB drives haven't been out very long. You may be the one who has to answer that for the rest of us. ;)
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#25 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

I have an HR21-700 Can I use this 1.5TB INTERNAL Drive? Currently I have a smaller internal drive that I installed and was looking at swapping it out.
ST31500341AS
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148337

In principle, sure.
However, while you're looking at that newegg page, you might wanna read the customer reviews (if you haven't already). Lots of reports of trouble (not re: D*, just in general).

#26 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

There are Hard Drives out there that are designed for 24/7 A/V DVR use that will work better so you might want to research these devices as they apparently last longer as they are designed for 24/7 use!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   Rose

Rose

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:54 PM

I would add that the 1TB PureDrive works on two of my HR21's. One has a WD drive inside, the other PureDrive has a Samsung drive. Both work fine.

The only problem I've had is after a power failure, the HR21 units must be reset to use the external drives. Apparently the PureDrive's don't power up fast enough after a power failure for the HR21's to recognize them at boot. Hitting reset solves the problem quickly.

#28 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

I would add that the 1TB PureDrive works on two of my HR21's. One has a WD drive inside, the other PureDrive has a Samsung drive. Both work fine.

The only problem I've had is after a power failure, the HR21 units must be reset to use the external drives. Apparently the PureDrive's don't power up fast enough after a power failure for the HR21's to recognize them at boot. Hitting reset solves the problem quickly.

Thanks for the input.
Question: exactly what is this PureDrive? Is it an empty external enclosure and you install the HDD? Or is it a prefab eSATA drive that comes with various models of HDD already installed in it? Or what?

ps: The part where you had to let it spin up to speed first is something that people have found to be true with various eSATA solutions. It's not just yours.

EDIT Follow-up: We have a couple reports of success *and* a couple reports of failure in trying to use these with HR21/HR22's.

#29 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:08 AM

This is the drive I was looking for but I bought the first one he posted about. Wish I would have known about the WD drive because that was what I was looking for.

"Prior to recently, the best choice was Seagate DB35 750GB ST3750840SCE. I have 3.

The new standard is Western Digital 1TB WD10EVCS. Just bought one." Posted by Sixto.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

This is the drive I was looking for but I bought the first one he posted about. Wish I would have known about the WD drive because that was what I was looking for.

"Prior to recently, the best choice was Seagate DB35 750GB ST3750840SCE. I have 3.

The new standard is Western Digital 1TB WD10EVCS. Just bought one." Posted by Sixto.

I know of zero reasons to conclude that the WD10EVCS drive is any kind of "new standard".
There are many good HDD's, including several 1TB's from WD.
Not dissing the WD10EVCS, but claiming that it is some kind of "new standard" seems a bit odd.

ps: Various people report that they had to return one WD10EVCS drive for another before getting one that works in an external enclosure. Nobody knows why. Doesn't seem to happen with the WD10EACS.

#31 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

The HR21 series require a 3Mbps transfer rate, and a number of drives come out of the box set with jumpers at 1.5Mbps (common to PCs).

If you have a drive that can be changed to (jumper) or is configured at 3Mbps...then you should be fine using it with the HR21 series - eSata. As for using one internally....the tech requirement is the same, but then there's that voided warranty thing....
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#32 OFFLINE   bikerpaul

bikerpaul

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:40 AM

Am I correct in assuming that just about any eSATA setup will work with the HR20-700?
1981 White Corvette
1995 Competition Yellow Corvette

#33 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

Am I correct in assuming that just about any eSATA setup will work with the HR20-700?

No. Don't assume that. But whatever configuration works, it works for all HD DVR models.

There is plenty of information in the eSata thread which shares which drives and eSata enclosures have been proven to work fine.....most Seagate and Western Digitals seem to be problem free.

in addition, its important to make sure you have the proper cable.

#34 OFFLINE   arlen95

arlen95

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:52 AM

my book home edition still working fine one month later with my hr21-200

#35 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the great information. Now I just need guidance to go the next mile. I have the WD 1001 and the Antec MX-1. I need help marrying the two re. jumper and transfer rate speed. I got some info from the WD site but not enough to make me feel comfortable configuring (jumper) before installing the 1001 in the MX-1. Thanks for some help or direction to go to find help.

[stuff deleted]

I am referring to the 1 TB Caviar Black drive (model WD1001FALS) which is going in the Antec MX-1 enclosure ( russdog recommended both of these in original posting) to use as an external HDD for our DVR.

The WD 1001FALS can come out of the box in either one of two configurations, both of which are set to the 150MB/s speed since they assume that most people are using it for computing. If you want to get the 300MB/s transfer rate for video from this HDD you have to decipher the diagrams on the WD web site.

Mine turned out to be the configuration with no jumper included. The other one comes with a jumper but you still would have to move it to get the faster transfer rate.

If you want to take a look, just go to the WD site and search for the 1 TB Caviar Black drive (model WD1001FALS). You'll see the diagrams there. If you or anyone else can show me where I've taken a wrong turn, I'd appreciate knowing that. I think I got it right though.

That's one of a handful of WD drives that people have reported success with.
Once you sort out the issue with jumpers, let me know and I'll include whatever the story is about that model into the FAQ.

I'm sorry you're running into complications.
It shouldn't be this hard, but it is... at least until we gather enough info among ourselves.
I realize that you just want the dang thing to work, but you've accidentally signed up to be a test pilot.
Hopefully, what you learn can help save others from facing the same kind of confusion.

EDIT Follow-up: Since this post we have learned that the default setting is the correct one, and that there is no need for folks to use jumpers to adjust the out-of-the-box settings. I have updated the FAQ's #6 with a general comment about jumpers. The impetus for that comment was this specific issue with the WD1001FALS. If anybody knows of examples of other modern HDD's where it is necessary to mess around with jumpers, please advise.

Thanks to ronnego, DarinC, and rich584 for their help in sorting this out. (This happened in various posts which they were kind enough to voluntarily delete to help keep this FAQ thread short.)

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

This would be incredibly easier if some outfit (say, maybe a huge billion-dollar sat service provider who has a big fancy testing lab) would acquire a couple dozen HDD's, spend about a week sorting it out, and then let us know what they find out. But, since they don't, we're faced with doing it in an ad hoc way among ourselves.

Hmmmm....I guess all that information stating that eSata is not "officially" supported by DirecTV in various threads, their product documentation, and on their website support section must have been missed.

But it sure would explain why any eSata solutions would still be subject to "sorting out" (allthough many folks have gotten them to work just fine). :D

This thread illustrates just how it can be done successfully:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=92029

The #1 hiccup is either buying a drive that supports 3Mbps or configuring jumpers properly for that data transfer rate on the HR2x series HD DVRs. #2 is the wrong type of eSata cable.

As for installing them internally, that just adds yet another layer of risk (voiding your equipment warranty, ungrounded installation causing electrical shock, etc.).

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hmmmm....I guess all that information stating that eSata is not "officially" supported by DirecTV in various threads, their product documentation, and on their website support section must have been missed.

An example of D* not supporting eSATAs is the fact that as far as I can tell, all the 21s default to a temp reading of 77 degrees when an eSATA is hooked up to them and the cooling fans never turn. The 20's cooling fans do work and the 20s do not default to the 77 degree reading.

Aside from that, how you doing? Haven't seen one of your posts in a while.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:09 PM

Aside from that, how you doing? Haven't seen one of your posts in a while.

Rich

I fully understand that everyone is free to post whatever they like.
At the same time, we have more-than-several threads in various places about eSATA issues, and some of those have grown to be so huge that they are of limited help to folks who don't have hours to read and search them.

So, while I am in no way "in charge" of this thread, I hope we can stay on target and keep the discussion focused on helping folks with specific info and acquiring new info as it becomes available. IMO, a short thread with nothing but specific info will be best for all.

Please don't take offense. I appreciate your demonstrated willingness to be helpful to others, including me.
To the extent that I too have sinned, I will endeavor to do better and practice what I preach ;-)

#39 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

Point taken....and in that spirit...

Three more bits of evidence about this being an unsupported feature....

1) Try going to the Direct.com site and do a Search on eSata.....(you'll get no hits - none).

2) My neighbor just got 2 brand new HD DVRs this past weekend....in his 2 manuals, both on Page 7 --- "10) S-ATA PORT – For future use"

3) If you go to the DirecTV.com technical help forum, under HD DVR's, you will see numerous references to eSata as "eSata Experiments".

My point is that this is an unsupported feature, however, it can be made to work. I have done so on 2 different HD DVRs myself, so I'm not being a naysayer...

So let the "experimentation" continue.... :D

The fact that D* does not "officially support" it well known and clearly established. We don't need "more evidence" of that here.
The very 1st post in this thread states "This feature is not officially supported by DirecTV."
Please stay on point with specific info to help those who are trying to make it work.
If you wish to provide general info that is not specific to particular solutions, please do it in threads other than this one.

#40 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

The fact that D* does not "officially support" it well known and clearly established. We don't need "more evidence" of that here.
The very 1st post in this thread states "This feature is not officially supported by DirecTV."
Please stay on point with specific info to help those who are trying to make it work.
If you wish to provide general info that is not specific to particular solutions, please do it in threads other than this one.

I already posted (#43) a link to an established thread with many many proven solutions. Enjoy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...