Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   johnsonsm4

johnsonsm4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

I thought the whole point of the "green" drives was power savings by slowing the HD when not at use. Anyway, it looks like the DVR and HD lose their link over a period of time. When I look at the system prior to turning the system on, the little pink light that flashes isn't. I seems to work fine for a day but over a long period of time or overnight, it loses that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

I thought the whole point of the "green" drives was power savings by slowing the HD when not at use. Anyway, it looks like the DVR and HD lose their link over a period of time. When I look at the system prior to turning the system on, the little pink light that flashes isn't. I seems to work fine for a day but over a long period of time or overnight, it loses that.

There isn't any "HD not in use" with a DirecTV DVR. Even when you put it in standby, it continues to record 24/7. That's why you can bring it out of standby and immediately have a 90 min. buffer for whatever channel you are tuned to.

#403 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

There isn't any "HD not in use" with a DirecTV DVR. Even when you put it in standby, it continues to record 24/7. That's why you can bring it out of standby and immediately have a 90 min. buffer for whatever channel you are tuned to.

Yup. And it's also why you always see that pink flicker.

Rich

#404 OFFLINE   johnsonsm4

johnsonsm4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

I guess I'll have to order another enclosure. I live in the middle of nowhere with the closest place to buy an enclosure over 1.5 hr each way away and that is a Best Buy. I'll try ordering a different enclosure and see how that works. Thanks.

#405 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

I thought the whole point of the "green" drives was power savings by slowing the HD when not at use.

I think that was pointed specifically at PCs. But the Green WD drives all use a 5900 spindle speed, I think. So you're getting a savings over a 7200 spindle speed in that respect. But the HDDs are never "off". When you shut off the lights on the front panel, it is still running. Just put your hand on top of the HR, you will feel the HDD spinning. The only two positions are "On" and "Standby". I don't think the spindle speed changes at all.

Anyway, it looks like the DVR and HD lose their link over a period of time. When I look at the system prior to turning the system on, the little pink light that flashes isn't. I seems to work fine for a day but over a long period of time or overnight, it loses that.

That really sounds like a typical eSATA controller problem within the TT or any other external device. Order a new TT and I really think it will work.

Rich

#406 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

I guess I'll have to order another enclosure. I live in the middle of nowhere with the closest place to buy an enclosure over 1.5 hr each way away and that is a Best Buy. I'll try ordering a different enclosure and see how that works. Thanks.

If you want to use a different external device, we usually recommend the Antec MX-1 enclosure, works with every HR.

Are you aware of Amazon Prime? $79 a year for two day shipping. I even buy tea from them. I just bought three BD players, a razor, all kinds of goodies and never pay taxes or shipping.

Rich

#407 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

That really sounds like a typical eSATA controller problem within the TT or any other external device. Order a new TT and I really think it will work.

Rich

That's when come my 'old song' - you don't need the stinking SATA-SATA controller inside of the enclosure - buy that one what is simple as gun's barrel: it's have short SATA cable between a drive and external eSATA connector inside of it;
ideally it should be just one long [I-L] eSATA-SATA cable between the drive and DVR!

#408 OFFLINE   glen4cindy

glen4cindy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:25 PM

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to venture out into putting an external eSata drive onto my HR24 DirecTv receiver.

I have just now realized that doing so will cause it to disable the internal drive, or so it seems, so this leads me to wonder, WHEN is an ideal time to do such a thing? There will never be a time when we have watched everything available on the internal drive that will be convenient to lose access to it and hook up an external, though the extra space will be awesome.

2nd, being that you have to power on the external drive first, and allow it to spin up, then power on the DVR, what do you do when the power goes off when you are not at home? Or, is this procedure only required the first time the eSata drive is attached to the DVR so it can recognize and format it?

3rd, if I am going to do this, I don't want to mess around, I want to get at least 2TB, so it makes all this worth it. Are the Cavalry drives with the enclosures still a bad choice, or was that just with some of this older HR units?

Thanks.

#409 OFFLINE   johnsonsm4

johnsonsm4

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

I can answer number 2. You are only supposed to have to perform that procedure once but then again, I'm having problems on my second system. The first works great.

#410 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to venture out into putting an external eSata drive onto my HR24 DirecTv receiver.

I have just now realized that doing so will cause it to disable the internal drive, or so it seems, so this leads me to wonder, WHEN is an ideal time to do such a thing? There will never be a time when we have watched everything available on the internal drive that will be convenient to lose access to it and hook up an external, though the extra space will be awesome.

2nd, being that you have to power on the external drive first, and allow it to spin up, then power on the DVR, what do you do when the power goes off when you are not at home? Or, is this procedure only required the first time the eSata drive is attached to the DVR so it can recognize and format it?

3rd, if I am going to do this, I don't want to mess around, I want to get at least 2TB, so it makes all this worth it. Are the Cavalry drives with the enclosures still a bad choice, or was that just with some of this older HR units?

Thanks.

As for when is the right time in regards to losing what you have, you just have to decide for yourself. You can always restart the DVR with the ext drive disconnected to go back and watch old recordings on the internal. Just make sure you don't do it while a new item is scheduled to record.

I attach a UPS to both my DVR and external drive, so that short term power outages don't affect it. There's not too much you can do beyond that if you aren't home, but I have found my Antec MX-1 enclosed drives tend to spin up in time.

You should stick to what people have said will work. If people had problems with Cavalry drives then I wouldn't trust trying it on a HR24. It's generally the eSATA controller of the enclosure that is the problem, not the hard drive itself. Why not just stick with what is reported to work? There is another thread here called Working eSATA Setups you can refer to.

#411 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:28 AM

If you want to use a different external device, we usually recommend the Antec MX-1 enclosure, works with every HR.

Are you aware of Amazon Prime? $79 a year for two day shipping. I even buy tea from them. I just bought three BD players, a razor, all kinds of goodies and never pay taxes or shipping.

Rich

Amazon Prime rules!!!

+1 on the Antec MX-1 recommendation. I use those for all three of my DVRs.

#412 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

That's when come my 'old song' - you don't need the stinking SATA-SATA controller inside of the enclosure - buy that one what is simple as gun's barrel: it's have short SATA cable between a drive and external eSATA connector inside of it;
ideally it should be just one long [I-L] eSATA-SATA cable between the drive and DVR!

Where do you buy them?

Rich

#413 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

Hello.

There is no "ideal" time. Just do it.

Buy a small UPS and hook up the HR and external device to it and you won't have a problem, as long as you don't have a long shutdown of power.

I wouldn't buy a Cavalry ever again. Cheap is cheap. Buy a WD EVDS or EURS and either an Antec MX-1 enclosure or a Thermaltake docking station and you shouldn't have any problems. No tools required for the docking station setup.

Rich

#414 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

I can answer number 2. You are only supposed to have to perform that procedure once but then again, I'm having problems on my second system. The first works great.

If you don't use a UPS you might have to use that procedure each time you lose power. I'd recommend doing that.

Rich

#415 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Where do you buy them?

Rich

Fry's usually; I can do it by myself - buy I-L cable and after disconnection internal SATA cable, use it ( some enclosures do not require make a hole for it).

#416 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

Fry's usually; I can do it by myself - buy I-L cable and after disconnection internal SATA cable, use it ( some enclosures do not require make a hole for it).

I can see how to make them, I've just never seen one for sale. Got a link?

Rich

#417 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

My favorite http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=186999 but it require not just SATA cable, power connection too (easy to use it with dish DVR, they don't have VOID sticker on a cover).
I'm not telling you'll need exactly this model, but as a direction to search.

#418 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

My favorite http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=186999 but it require not just SATA cable, power connection too (easy to use it with dish DVR, they don't have VOID sticker on a cover).
I'm not telling you'll need exactly this model, but as a direction to search.

I meant a link to a retail site.

Rich

#419 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

I thought you're kidding me (that thread has all info to find it in retail stores .. MRK-401ST-BK), but if you are serious, here is the your preffered amazon store ...

#420 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

I thought you're kidding me (that thread has all info to find it in retail stores .. MRK-401ST-BK), but if you are serious, here is the your preffered amazon store ...

I usually ask questions out of ignorance. This is a prime example of that. Do they make those things as peripherals?

Rich

spam firewall