Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,298 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

I don't know, perhaps other manufactures; as I see it would be an easy task to find a PS with MOLEX 4 pin socket. I have one on my table: SS34W1205 (12V 2A/5V 2A) Taiwan.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:04 AM

I don't know, perhaps other manufactures; as I see it would be an easy task to find a PS with MOLEX 4 pin socket. I have one on my table: SS34W1205 (12V 2A/5V 2A) Taiwan.

Ah, if the TTs go, they're so cheap it's not a big deal to replace them.

Rich

#423 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,298 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

Remember - there is unnecessary SATA controller inside - a source of some troubles, like a speed negotiation, delays, additional connections, etc.

#424 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

Remember - there is unnecessary SATA controller inside - a source of some troubles, like a speed negotiation, delays, additional connections, etc.

I know. Just thought there might be a product such as a TT that did the same thing. Thanx.

Rich

#425 OFFLINE   Full Score

Full Score

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Rich,

As you've had experience of many different setups, instead of an eSATA drive, would you consider buying (i.e. leasing) an upgraded HR24 from WeaKnees.com? I realize it's a more expensive option, but there would be real advantages.

At present, with my HR20 and external Apricorn 2tb, I have to wait an eternity for the system to boot up. If the HR24 contains an internal 2tb drive instead of eSATA, will the boot up time be improved?

Apricorn tech support have told me that their eSATA doesn't work with the HR24. They don't know why - they thought it had been disabled by DirecTV, but this goes against what others have reported here.

Using an external doubles the possibilities of crashes whilst I'm away from home. I also lose the internal hard drive space for everyday use.

Your opinions would be most welcome.

#426 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

Rich,

As you've had experience of many different setups, instead of an eSATA drive, would you consider buying (i.e. leasing) an upgraded HR24 from WeaKnees.com? I realize it's a more expensive option, but there would be real advantages.

A lot of disadvantages too, aside from the over the top pricing. If you want to lease a 24 and get it from WK and something goes wrong after the 90 day WK warranty expires you have to send it back to WK and have a stock HDD put in it to get a replacement from D*. More expense. And you have no guarantee that you're gonna get a 24 back as a replacement, altho D* does seem to making a concerted effort to replace 24s with 24s.

At present, with my HR20 and external Apricorn 2tb, I have to wait an eternity for the system to boot up. If the HR24 contains an internal 2tb drive instead of eSATA, will the boot up time be improved?

Apricorn tech support have told me that their eSATA doesn't work with the HR24. They don't know why - they thought it had been disabled by DirecTV, but this goes against what others have reported here.

Apricorns don't seem to be the weapon of choice among most of us. I haven't seen any glowing reports about them working well. I know you won't want to hear this, but I'd dump the Apricorn and just use a 2TB WD EVDS HDD and either an Antec MX-1 or a Thermaltake docking station. That should solve your rebooting time issues.

Using an external doubles the possibilities of crashes whilst I'm away from home. I also lose the internal hard drive space for everyday use.

Do you not use a UPS on your 24/Apricorn now? If you don't, you should. In the event that you are not home for long stretches of time that won't help much. If you want to go without a UPS, the WD 2TB EVDS would best be used with an Antec MX-1, they rarely have a problem with the HR recognizing the external HDD in the event of a power loss when they reboot. In other words, the MX-1 spins up faster than the HR can reboot and the HR almost always recognizes the MX-1/HDD as it's main drive.

Do you actually see a need for the internal drive? With a 2TB external drive? Even if we could combine the two drives, it wouldn't work, the HRs are limited to 2TBs of capacity.

Short answer, dump the Apricorn, get a WD 2TB EVDS and put it in an MX-1 and forget about the internal drive. You'll save a whole lot of money and it's a very reliable setup.

Rich

#427 OFFLINE   Full Score

Full Score

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Rich,

Thank you very much indeed for your quick and reliable advice.

I am often away for periods of up to two months at a time, hence my desire to minimize anything that can go wrong. In this regard a UPS doesn't help much.

I hadn't thought about needing to replace the WK internal with a regular one before DTv will replace it. An excellent point.

#428 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

Rich,

Thank you very much indeed for your quick and reliable advice.

I am often away for periods of up to two months at a time, hence my desire to minimize anything that can go wrong. In this regard a UPS doesn't help much.

You're welcome. I kinda figured you might be away for a longer time than we usually see, you're right, if you have a few prolonged power outages the UPS will/might fail. But that setup, the MX-1 and the WD 2TB EVDS should come right back up and work properly after power is restored.

I hadn't thought about needing to replace the WK internal with a regular one before DTv will replace it. An excellent point.

There's a lot of little things about the warranty that bother me. The 90 day limit has always bothered me, even when I was buying HDDs for TiVos from them. I found a site that was selling HDDs with a 3 year warranty and went with them. Now you can buy SATA drives with 5 year replacement warranties.

Their pricing really is disturbing. Added to the 90 day warranty, it is even more disturbing.

I used to know the guys at WK, but they seem to have all left and the folks there now seem more abrupt and less friendly. Small annoyance, but it's just not the same.

Rich

#429 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:25 AM

It seems that at one point, the recommended 2TB drive of choice was the WD20EADS, and that has now been supplanted by the WD20EVDS. If you can find them reasonably priced, is there any reason not to use the WD20EADS? Right now, I can find them about $30 cheaper than the EVDS, and since my wife recently lost her job, that $30 is pretty important these days.

#430 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:58 AM

If $30 is pretty important these days, then buying an addon drive for your dvr shouldn't even be on the table....I have one of each and feel the EVDS performs better...but an EADS will work. Remember that the eads model is older, so even though the drive may be new, it was probably manufactured awhile ago.

#431 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

It seems that at one point, the recommended 2TB drive of choice was the WD20EADS, and that has now been supplanted by the WD20EVDS. If you can find them reasonably priced, is there any reason not to use the WD20EADS? Right now, I can find them about $30 cheaper than the EVDS, and since my wife recently lost her job, that $30 is pretty important these days.

I've lost track of which HDDs I have and how many of each model I have, but the EADS I have (I think I have two or three) are solid HDDs. The only problem with them is that you have to put a jumper block on the HDD to slow the transfer rate down.

Oddly, the EADS make my 20-700s run cooler than they do with the EVDS HDDs. In any event, if you can find the jumpers online somewhere, the EADS is a good choice.

Rich

#432 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

In any event, if you can find the jumpers online somewhere, the EADS is a good choice.

Rich

You are talking about a jumper block like in the picture below right? If so, they sell those for next to nothing at RatShack. If they are the same jumpers as used on IDE drives, I probably have half a dozen already laying around here.

Posted Image

#433 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,298 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

Yes, same size as for IDE drives or PC boards.

#434 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

Deleted

Edited by bengalfreak, 06 April 2011 - 02:50 AM.

#435 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

You are talking about a jumper block like in the picture below right? If so, they sell those for next to nothing at RatShack. If they are the same jumpers as used on IDE drives, I probably have half a dozen already laying around here.

Posted Image

Didn't know they sold them at Radio Shack. That looks like the right one, but I don't remember the exact size. I have a bunch that range in size measured in MMs.

Rich

#436 OFFLINE   JasonTX

JasonTX

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

Rich or anyone else who has an opinion-

So are you saying you think the MX-1 seems to get the drive up and ready faster than the TT? I don't really want to use a UPS but power does go out on occasion.

If that isn't an issue I might prefer the TT as there are some reports online of fans going bad in MX-1 and I'm hoping a EVDS or EURS drive can work fine with passive cooling.

Thanks-

Jason

#437 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,358 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Rich or anyone else who has an opinion-

So are you saying you think the MX-1 seems to get the drive up and ready faster than the TT? I don't really want to use a UPS but power does go out on occasion.

Yes. But I've got one last MX-1 that fails to be recognized after a power loss. I shut all my UPS devices down after I power down everything connected to them. The last MX-1 isn't on a UPS, (it's a leased receiver and I'd send it back and wouldn't take a replacement) and the HR comes up quicker than the MX-1 does. First time I've had this happen with an MX-1.

Normally, with properly functioning MX-1s and TTs, I'd expect the MX-1 to be recognized if they both were started at the same time. I wouldn't expect the TTs to be recognized each time. Just means you've got to go thru the process again and as long as you plug in the TT before the HR (I usually wait 30 seconds after I power up any external device to power up the HR) you should be back on the external device.

If that isn't an issue I might prefer the TT as there are some reports online of fans going bad in MX-1 and I'm hoping a EVDS or EURS drive can work fine with passive cooling.

I prefer the TTs personally. And I'd go with the EVDS, they work well with either external device. I've never used an EURS so I can't comment except to say that I've read some positive posts on them. Not all that many, but I don't recall a negative post. I'd stick with the EVDS.

Rich

#438 OFFLINE   Full Score

Full Score

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

Based on all the excellent advice in this thread, particularly from Rich (thanks), I decided to go with the 2tb EVDS ($118 from Amazon) plus the MX-1 ($54). I chose the latter as I spend large amounts of time away from home and need to have as fast a boot up time as possible on the external. It seems that, whenever DT download a software upgrade, I lose some ability to access the boxes via my Slingbox, usually because the system has re-booted and my current external (an Apricorn, not to be recommended) doesn't boot up quickly enough. After the last upgrade I completely lost the ability to view my HD channels until I returned home and was able to re-boot the boxes in the correct order.

Since I don't need to be swapping the hard drives in and out and I keep the equipment in an relatively enclosed closet, I also liked the idea that the MX-1 remains extremely cool.

UPDATE: installing the 2tb EVDS in the MX-1 was as simple as taking out one screw, sliding the drive in and replacing the screw. It works beautifully and silently.

Edited by Full Score, 29 May 2011 - 12:32 AM.

#439 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

No.

You can't really reformat the drive as you could with a computer drive. The easiest way to do what you want to do is to go to the Playlist then the Yellow button for Options and click on "Mark programs to delete" then go to "Mark All" and then to Continue and then to Delete Marked. That will delete all the programs on the drive. You then put the drive on another HR and your Series Links should show up and be usable.

Rich

Yeah, but you lose all your Series Links.

Rich

OK, I am confused. My HR20 is flaking out, and Directv sent me an HR21. I have been using a WD 1Tb esata (one recommended by this forum...thanks) for years with no issues. If I want to move it to the HR21, do I need to do anything to clean it out. I would prefer the recordings not be on there if I can't watch them, but I could live with or without the Series Links. I can always add those back. Anyway, do I just unplug the esata, and plug it into the HR21. TIA for your advice.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#440 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

Perform a graceful shutdown of the drive by restarting the old DVR through the menu, when all the lights go out, turn off/unplug the external drive then pull the power cord to the dvr. Get your new dvr all hooked up except for power, connect up the external drive to it, power up the external drive and wait a bit, then plug the new DVR in. The external drive should be recognized and after the system is all booted up, go into the playlist and delete all the recordings as described in the posts you quoted. The drive will now be empty but all your settings and SL's will be intact. Shouldnt take more than 15 minutes or so tops from start to finish

spam firewall