Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#576 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

I've always thought the SLs followed the HR.  

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#577 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

I've always thought the SLs followed the HR.

Rich

You mean HDD?

#578 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

You mean HDD?

Do you really think I'd make a mistake about that, Pete?  Really?  What I meant and thought I made clear was that I had found an owned HR that didn't have a 2TB drive in it and the SLs were still on the HR after I installed the bigger drive.  At this point in my viewing experience, D* really is an insignificant part of my TV life.  So, I haven't been paying that much attention to what's happening with my HRs.  But I do know this, the same SLs that were on the HR when it had a 500GB drive in it are now on that HR with the blank 2TB drive I put in it.  Clear?

Rich 

#579 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

I'm reading the forum's posts for many year, and if you're checking (not 100% efficient) my memory's cells .. I recall/tested and knew the SL DB stored on HDD.

Know nothing for models after HR23 :(.

#580 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

I'm reading the forum's posts for many year, and if you're checking (not 100% efficient) my memory's cells .. I recall/tested and knew the SL DB stored on HDD.

Know nothing for models after HR23 :(.

Yeah, my memory's not that good either.  The stuff I concentrate on remains clear, but I can't remember having to ever build an SL list when changing HDDs.  Not even on the 20-700s.  But all I have now, besides my one 20-700, are 24s.  I've managed to pretty much wipe out all the Series 2 DVRs from my memory.

Rich

#581 OFFLINE   hsedsie

hsedsie

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

I have an HR21-100 and it will not recognize an external WD20EZRX in a TT ST0005U.  Is there any way to test this setup on another DVR without marrying it to the test DVR? 

#582 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

I have an HR21-100 and it will not recognize an external WD20EZRX in a TT ST0005U.  Is there any way to test this setup on another DVR without marrying it to the test DVR? 

Yup, you can put it on another DVR, that's a good thing to do.  The marriage only applies to recordings, the HDDs can be freely swapped from one HR to another, you just won't be able to play the content recorded on the original HR.

Rich

#583 OFFLINE   sweetvim

sweetvim

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

HI am a newbie, sorry in advance if I do something wrong.  I am trying to add external HDD to my HR24-500.  I am not having much success and wondered if you could help me. 

I have two HR24-500 and have tried multiple times to set this up.  I am doing the steps in the correct order so wondering if it's the DVR, the enclosure or the HDD that are preventing this from working...???

WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Rosewell RX358 V2 enclosure

They do not seem to work with the HR24. I am not sure what peice of the puzzle is not working. It won't read the ext. HDD and I have tried rebooting several times over.

I bought the Rocstor 3TB HDD (G269N2-01) because someone on YouTube got that to work with the HR34, but I have to wait for it to deliver and just wondered if that was going to run into the same problem.  Any thoughts on how I should proceed from here?

#584 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• Registered
  • 4,106 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:57 PM

Did you perform the power-off unplug step of the DVR?

Then plug in/power on while the external drive is powered. 

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#585 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

HI am a newbie, sorry in advance if I do something wrong.  I am trying to add external HDD to my HR24-500.  I am not having much success and wondered if you could help me. 

I have two HR24-500 and have tried multiple times to set this up.  I am doing the steps in the correct order so wondering if it's the DVR, the enclosure or the HDD that are preventing this from working...???

WD Green WD40EZRX 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Rosewell RX358 V2 enclosure

They do not seem to work with the HR24. I am not sure what peice of the puzzle is not working. It won't read the ext. HDD and I have tried rebooting several times over.

I bought the Rocstor 3TB HDD (G269N2-01) because someone on YouTube got that to work with the HR34, but I have to wait for it to deliver and just wondered if that was going to run into the same problem.  Any thoughts on how I should proceed from here?

The HR2x -Will only support a 2TB Drive Max.

• Rich likes this

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#586 OFFLINE   sweetvim

sweetvim

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

The HR2x -Will only support a 2TB Drive Max.

I tried a 2TB and that didn't work either

#587 OFFLINE   sweetvim

sweetvim

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

Did you perform the power-off unplug step of the DVR?

Then plug in/power on while the external drive is powered. 

Yes, as noted I did the steps in the correct order.  I got both the 2TB and 4TB to work on my HR44 but I do not need to expand that one it is the HR24 that are so small that I want to expand. At a loss, can't seem to get any enclosure or HDD I have here to work.  Wasn't sure if htere are certain brands that work and don't, etc.  Thanks!

#588 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

I tried a 2TB and that didn't work either

The problem may be with the enclosure -might try this http://www.walmart.c...5e379fa&veh=cse

You can read back through this thread and find tested enclosure's that have worked 

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#589 OFFLINE   sweetvim

sweetvim

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:45 PM

The problem may be with the enclosure -might try this http://www.walmart.c...5e379fa&veh=cse

You can read back through this thread and find tested enclosure's that have worked 

Thank you.  I will try and find something about the enclosures that worked for others in the previous threads.  Much appreciated.  The link you gave me on the StarTech I worry about becuase there is no fan and you have to keep the hard drive on at all times so it seems it would quite possibly burn up quicker than others in a enclosure, as well get fairly dusty.  If it works for others great, but I prefer the enclosures than the docking stations for a project liek this one.  Cheers!

I reviewed many discussion and found that the one that seemed to work for most; the Antec MX-1 is not available anywhere.  The rest are docking stations and again I personally don't like that choice.  I found a thread about a Nex-Star so I happen to have a old one in a box, missing the power supply, but I have one anyway.  I just ordered the power supply from the manf. and once I get it in a few days I will try that enclosure to see if that fixes the problem.  I will let you know.  Thanks again

Edited by sweetvim, 02 April 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#590 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,799 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Thank you.  I will try and find something about the enclosures that worked for others in the previous threads.  Much appreciated.  The link you gave me on the StarTech I worry about becuase there is no fan and you have to keep the hard drive on at all times so it seems it would quite possibly burn up quicker than others in a enclosure, as well get fairly dusty.  If it works for others great, but I prefer the enclosures than the docking stations for a project liek this one.  Cheers!

I reviewed many discussion and found that the one that seemed to work for most; the Antec MX-1 is not available anywhere.  The rest are docking stations and again I personally don't like that choice.  I found a thread about a Nex-Star so I happen to have a old one in a box, missing the power supply, but I have one anyway.  I just ordered the power supply from the manf. and once I get it in a few days I will try that enclosure to see if that fixes the problem.  I will let you know.  Thanks again

Try this docking station.  No tools needed, just make sure your HDD is securely inserted into the dock.  Don't worry about heat, I've been using the docks for years and have had no heat or dust related problems.  Here's a link to the dock that I use.  When you first plug in the dock, you'll see a blue power light come on.  As the HDD spins up, the light will sparkle with red or pink colors.  Once the light turns solid blue, the HDD will have spun up properly and you can plug in the 24-500.  I have used the docks on several 24-500s without any problems.  But, they are cheap and if they're gonna fail they usually do it pretty quickly.  The external device you use is always gonna be the weakest link in the eSATA chain.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...