Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   feeth

feeth

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Which raid 0 enclosure would work for the hr34 and 2x 2tb drives?
Tia
I wear my tin foil hat with pride!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Which raid 0 enclosure would work for the hr34 and 2x 2tb drives?
Tia

My CalDigit VR (1st gen) is perfect on my HR34. I'm running it RAID-1. I moved it from my decommissioned HR20. Much better product than the Sans Digital I used to have on the HR20.

Unfortunately, it's only available with drives included. And the price is relatively high. IMO you get what you pay for.

BTW, did you really mean RAID-0? You can't use 2x 2TB in RAID-0 with DTV - it will only use 2TB.

#543 OFFLINE   MacTexas

MacTexas

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

What am I doing wrong? I am attempting to attach an external HD to my DTV HR20. Using a Thermaltake docking station with a WD 1TB sata drive. It boots up and works for about 30 minutes then the picture freezes. Did this four times and I disconnected it and returned to the internal drive and it works without a problem. What is going wrong with the external drive?

#544 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,985 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

check eSATA cable and it's connectors and sockets

#545 OFFLINE   MacTexas

MacTexas

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

The cable plugs in and are tight. Anything else I can do to check the cable?

#546 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,985 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

As usual: connect to eSATA on PC and run linear scan of all sectors (Victoria 1.4b is very good for that).

#547 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

What am I doing wrong? I am attempting to attach an external HD to my DTV HR20. Using a Thermaltake docking station with a WD 1TB sata drive. It boots up and works for about 30 minutes then the picture freezes. Did this four times and I disconnected it and returned to the internal drive and it works without a problem. What is going wrong with the external drive?

Do you have another HR? If you do, try the external setup on that and see what happens. If you don't, the HDD might not be seated in the TT dock correctly. If that's not the case it's either the TT dock that's shot or the HDD. More likely the TT dock. Probably nothing wrong with your cable, but you might try another one if you have one.

Rich

#548 OFFLINE   MacTexas

MacTexas

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Do you have another HR? If you do, try the external setup on that and see what happens. If you don't, the HDD might not be seated in the TT dock correctly. If that's not the case it's either the TT dock that's shot or the HDD. More likely the TT dock. Probably nothing wrong with your cable, but you might try another one if you have one.

Rich

I tried two different HDD and the problem was the same for both. Any way to test the dock, it is brand new? I do not have another cable so???

#549 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,985 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Connect to PC - that would be the test. Post#546.

#550 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

I tried two different HDD and the problem was the same for both. Any way to test the dock, it is brand new? I do not have another cable so???

I've noticed that the newer TT docks are more difficult to get the HDD seated in them properly, but I don't think that's your problem. If the HDD isn't seated correctly, it won't work at all. In your case, it sounds like it could be the HDD, the cable (don't think it's that or you would have had a problem right away), or the dock itself. As P Smith said, you really should hook that HDD up to a computer and see what you get. Or do it my way, buy a new HDD and see if that clears up the problem.

Reading what I just posted and knowing what you've done so far, I'd be looking at the HDD. You seem to be doing a good job of troubleshooting.

Rich

#551 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Connect to PC - that would be the test. Post#546.

You really have to make your answers simpler to understand. I know what you're trying to get him to do and I just suggested the same thing. You have to ask yourself if he knows Victoria or needs directions for using Victoria and where to find her.

Just constructive criticism, Pete, don't lose your temper.... :)

Rich

#552 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

I hope this is posted in the right place.

I have an hr-23 700 and was wishing I had more storage room and was wondering which external hard drive will work with my DVR and won't break the bank:)

I'm not real computer teckie,so be gentle:lol:

Thanks for any help on what to consider getting.

#553 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I hope this is posted in the right place.

I have an hr-23 700 and was wishing I had more storage room and was wondering which external hard drive will work with my DVR and won't break the bank:)

I'm not real computer teckie,so be gentle:lol:

Thanks for any help on what to consider getting.

Any of the 2TB Western Green Caviar HDDs will work well with your 23, for external devices we recommend the Thermaltake docking station or the Antec MX-1 enclosure. Probably the best HDD you can buy for a DVR is the WD EURs model, but if price makes a difference, any of the cheaper WD Green Caviar HDDs will work too.

Of the two external devices for the HDD, the Thermaltake docking station is the easiest to install, no tools needed and comes with everything you need. The Antec enclosure is a bit more complicated to install, but it works well too and also comes with everything you need.

I'd send links with this post, but Amazon will only ask you for my password. Perhaps someone else can post those links?

Rich

#554 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,985 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I'd send links with this post, but Amazon will only ask you for my password. Perhaps someone else can post those links?

Rich

I recall we had posted many of URL to the parts ... in a few pertinent threads.

#555 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for your help and recommendations, I'll do some looking around on Amazon.

#556 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

I recall we had posted many of URL to the parts ... in a few pertinent threads.

Yeah we did, but who wants to sift thru hundreds of posts looking for them? I think Amazon has finally fixed my account so I can post links again. Don't know why, all of a sudden, every link I tried to post wanted my password to display the proper link.

Rich

#557 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just tried again and it still doesn't work correctly.

Rich

#558 OFFLINE   rakstr

rakstr

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for your help and recommendations, I'll do some looking around on Amazon.

I've used these on multiple HR21-700 and HR24-100 DTV boxes and multiple computers (both USB and eSata connections) without problems. YMMV!

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#559 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I've used these on multiple HR21-700 and HR24-100 DTV boxes and multiple computers (both USB and eSata connections) without problems. YMMV!

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Huh. Half the price of the Thermaltake docks. No problems with them?

Rich

#560 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

I had an interesting time with a new 24-100 yesterday. Been waiting for my wife to clear off some recordings from the internal drive so I could put a TT dock and a 2TB drive on it. Finally, she told me the other day that she was finished.

So, I go thru all the steps I've written about so many times and when I plug in the 24-100 I get a blue screen that says "Your DVR is in standby mode and has to be turned on to view programming" or words to that effect.

Never seen that before, so I hit the Power button on the remote and the 100 starts rebooting. Now, I'm kinda fuddled and don't know what is gonna happen. The TT dock looks like it's working OK, the lights are flashing correctly, but the "Checking Storage Device" screen never comes up. More fuddled.

Finally, the thing is thru booting up and I start to check things out, but a new screen pops up and says software is now being loaded. That I've seen before and I wait for it to get done.

Finished with the software download and I check my Playlist, which should have a lot of stuff on it because the HDD I was using externally came off another HR. Nothing on the Playlist, but it says 47% full. OK, never seen that happen before. Hit the yellow button and I get the full Playlist in the background with the little dialog box in front of it. I go to the deletion option and mark all for deletion. Takes 20 minutes to clear the HDD.

Now it seems to be working correctly. This had nothing to do with the HDD or the docking station, I think it was the 100 that caused all this to happen.

Anyone ever seen this happen before? Not the first 24-100 that I've put a used HDD on externally, never went thru anything like I describe above. Very curious.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...