Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   MacTexas

MacTexas

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

I've noticed that the newer TT docks are more difficult to get the HDD seated in them properly, but I don't think that's your problem. If the HDD isn't seated correctly, it won't work at all. In your case, it sounds like it could be the HDD, the cable (don't think it's that or you would have had a problem right away), or the dock itself. As P Smith said, you really should hook that HDD up to a computer and see what you get. Or do it my way, buy a new HDD and see if that clears up the problem.

Reading what I just posted and knowing what you've done so far, I'd be looking at the HDD. You seem to be doing a good job of troubleshooting.

Rich

Just wanted to let you know I sent the dock to Thermaltake and received a new one today. It works perfectly. It was the dock that was bad right out of the box!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,410 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Just wanted to let you know I sent the dock to Thermaltake and received a new one today. It works perfectly. It was the dock that was bad right out of the box!

If you ever get a chance, take a TT apart. You'll quickly understand why they fail. Cheap is cheap, but when they work, they really work well.

Glad I was wrong... :lol:

Rich

#563 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,410 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

I just noticed this thread is "pinned".  I can't help but wonder if russdog is aware of this.  He was driven from the forum because he tried to set parameters for the thread.  Nice guy, friendly and just wanted to help.  Ironic that it's now a pinned thread.

Rich

#564 OFFLINE   Folin

Folin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

If you ever get a chance, take a TT apart. You'll quickly understand why they fail. Cheap is cheap, but when they work, they really work well.

Glad I was wrong... :lol:

Rich

Agreed. I had the power button go bad on mine. Opened it up and felt any repair was going to be ridiculously hard due to plastics involved. So I used some electrical tape so that it is powered 24/7. Working without issue since early 2010.

#565 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,410 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Agreed. I had the power button go bad on mine. Opened it up and felt any repair was going to be ridiculously hard due to plastics involved. So I used some electrical tape so that it is powered 24/7. Working without issue since early 2010.

If I had more leased HRs (I only have two and if they didn't work so well I'd send them back) I'd be more concerned about the quality of the TT docks.  But, what can you expect from something that costs ~ $35 and is in constant use?  For ease of installation they can't be beat.  The on/off switches are, as we all should be aware, problematic.  Also, if you have to return one, you get to pay the return shipping!  They do pay for the shipping on the replacement.  

Rich

spam firewall