Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   wildbillyboygolf

wildbillyboygolf

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

By my informal count, the WD10EACS is the one that has the greatest number of no-hassle reports.

Tried an AcomData 1TB PureDrive model # PDHD1000USE-72 - which a buyer on NewEgg said had a WD10EACS hard drive (tho I didn't confirm this by opening it up) - and it didn't work with my HR22-100.

The picture would freeze and then jump/shudder when it unfroze. Also the hard drive light would change from blue (good signal) to amber (no signal) constantly.

Going to try a Calvary CAXB3701T0 1TB drive next. Calvary said this is the same as the CAXM3701T0 mentioned earlier in this thread - except for the esata adapter and cable. Let you know next week if it works.

By the way NewEgg waived the 15% restocking fee and emailed a prepaid UPS return label - after talking to a phone rep. So I only had to pay the original $8 shipping charge. I thouht this was good treatment by them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

So Russ, how do you like your new position as a Forum Moderator???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#43 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,410 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

Does anyone have a 1.5TB drive or larger that has been filled up? I'm kind of worried about filling a 1.5 up since my 2TBs slow down the HR appreciably before they get to 1.5TBs. I'm reasonably certain that if I were to fill up one of the 2TBs, I would be forced to reformat the hard drive to get the setup working again. And lose all my programs in the process.

Perhaps it is only the Cavalry 2TB RAID eSATA in the "big" mode that does this. If so, I'd really like to know. I spent a lot of money on them and I am rather disappointed that I can't fill them up and just let the programs drop off as other newer recordings are made.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

Rich, why don't you just do maintenance on your DVR and clean up recordings that you probably will never go back to watch.

I have recorded lots of stuff that I just had to have recorded and in reality I don't go back and watch them so after 6 months or so if I haven't looked at it and probably won't I then go back in and DELETE those programs to clear up space for new recordings.
Here's My Setup

#45 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,410 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:42 PM

Rich, why don't you just do maintenance on your DVR and clean up recordings that you probably will never go back to watch.

I have recorded lots of stuff that I just had to have recorded and in reality I don't go back and watch them so after 6 months or so if I haven't looked at it and probably won't I then go back in and DELETE those programs to clear up space for new recordings.

I could do that and I knew I could do that when I posed that question in post #56. I want to know if it is just my Cavalrys or if the issue occurs in other situations, for instance a 1.5TB drive. There is no reason to have a 2TB drive if the HRs cannot support 2TBs of storage. And I've never quite reached 1.5TB without the HR becoming almost unresponsive. I paid about $850 (probably a tad more) for those two eSATAs and if they are not compatible (and obviously they are not) I want to get my money back. But will a 1.5 that is full still allow the HRs to function properly? I don't want to keep buying drives that will not allow me to have the unwanted programs fall off automatically.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

I paid about $850 (probably a tad more) for those two eSATAs and if they are not compatible (and obviously they are not) I want to get my money back.

Not that this helps you any, but I've decided that I'm better off investing in ways to archive off of the DVR, than ways to store more on it. I've seen too many posts of people's drives being wiped, from issues like bad firmware upgrades, the DVR reformatting due to data corruption, etc.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#47 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

So Russ, how do you like your new position as a Forum Moderator???

We both know I'm not a moderator, and that I have zero authority about anything.

However, I think it's safe to say that a FAQ-thread will be more useful to noobs who are trying to get useful info if it doesn't fill up with lots of off-topic chit-chat.

Threads with hundreds and hundreds of posts may contain lots of info but, in actual practice, they are not helpful to people who don't have the time or inclination to spend hours reading and searching for the nuggets they need.

Now, I know we can have battles wherein some folks try to boss the noobs into coping with long threads (while simultaneously making them longer with chit-chat), while other folks try to boss the Usual Suspects into doing less chit-chat in those threads. Meanwhile, I'm just trying to help noobs with a FAQ-thread where they can find stuff easily (and so that we don't see the same questions asked 10 times per day). That's all. I have no other agenda.

In that vein, I think it would be helpful if posters would delete posts that don't add specific info.
At the same time, I fully realize that people are free to do whatever they want.
In other words, I am "asking" people (not "telling" people), to please show some discipline about off-topic chit-chat.
It's just a request. It's certainly not an order. I fully agree that I'm a "nobody" around here.

#48 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:54 PM

Some of the 1.5TB drives are being recalled right now due to moderately significant problems that the manufacturers are downplaying IMO to avoid having too many returned.

So I'd wait a while on those until the technology matures a little bit more.

That WD drive mentioned above should be installed as it came, with no jumpers. The spread spectrum capability requires that the host supports the capability and since theres no setting to turn that on and off by the user on the HR20, its probably not supported...but thats a GUESS! ;)

By default its set to the higher transfer rate without a jumper.

#49 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

Well, I just installed a WD AVGP 1TB Drive in my HR21-700 for my Guest Bedroom and it took about 20 minutes and works like a CHARM!!!

Hardest thing was getting the front panel off!!! FANTASTIC!!!
Here's My Setup

#50 OFFLINE   ElEye

ElEye

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

My HR21-700 internal drive began to fail. This was exemplified by the picture and sound freezing/unfreezing on an increasing basis until it became unwatchable. And DirecTV support is worthless, less than worthless, in my opinion.

So, I purchased the following, all from NewEgg:
- Antec MX-1 USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - Retail ($49.99)
- Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ($129.99)

The Antec has fans in it to keep the drive cooler and the above drive is 1TB.

Observations:
a) Following the prescribed procedure (unplug the HR power, connect the external drive, power up the external drive, plug in the power to the HR) the start-up hung for awhile on "Step 2 of 2" at 97% - I just let it be and it did finish
B) Once up, some of my preferences were still there: came up on the last channel I was on before removing power and my Parental Control preferences were intact
c) I did have to redo my channel favorites and tell the network connection to connect
d) The guide data and the On Demand data was only for a day or so ahead until the next morning
e) When recording the record light on the front panel functions normally (I thought it might not)
f) The response time to FF and REW through Live content and pre-recorded content seems to be faster than the internal drive (not the time of the FF/REW, the response from the remote)
g) Previously the HR internal temperature was between 111 and 120, now it is around 77

How odd it is to have several hours of recorded content and the available space display on the List shows 99%.

#51 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

Just picked up Antec MX-1 for 39.00 at a local retailer (easy to return needed) I am looking at one of these 3 HDD's for my HR21 (or maybe my HR-20). Does anyone have any opinions on either of these HDD's?

http://www.tigerdire...&sku=TSD-1500AS

OR

http://www.tigerdire...&sku=TSD-1000AS

OR

http://www.newegg.co...-L1A-_-22136151

Thanks!

#52 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

Just picked up Antec MX-1 for 39.00 at a local retailer (easy to return needed) I am looking at one of these 3 HDD's for my HR21 (or maybe my HR-20). Does anyone have any opinions on either of these HDD's?

http://www.tigerdire...&sku=TSD-1500AS

OR

http://www.tigerdire...&sku=TSD-1000AS

OR

http://www.newegg.co...-L1A-_-22136151

Thanks!

Both Seagate and WD are well respected brands. I have no brand loyalty to either one.

The jury's still out on the 1.5TB Seagate. Lots of problem reports from users. (Not about D* in particular, just in general. For example read user reviews on the newegg site.) I have no idea whether this is about an early manufacturing run or about that model in general.

Reports about the 1TB Seagate seem to be something of a mixed bag. Some folks swear by it , while others report issues with it lagging/pausing/stuttering. I have no idea why.

That model of 1TB WD (WD 10EACS) does not seem to elicit problem reports. (You posted a link to newegg. For today (Friday), it's $5 cheaper there ($95 delivered) via promo code EMCBBCJBH)

#53 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:43 PM

Both Seagate and WD are well respected brands. I have no brand loyalty to either one.

The jury's still out on the 1.5TB Seagate. Lots of problem reports from users. (Not about D* in particular, just in general. For example read user reviews on the newegg site.) I have no idea whether this is about an early manufacturing run or about that model in general.

Reports about the 1TB Seagate seem to be something of a mixed bag. Some folks swear by it , while others report issues with it lagging/pausing/stuttering. I have no idea why.

That model of 1TB WD (WD 10EACS) does not seem to elicit problem reports. (You posted a link to newegg. For today (Friday), it's $5 cheaper there ($95 delivered) via promo code EMCBBCJBH)

Thanks Russdog!! Will give the WD a whirl.

#54 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

The HR21 series require a 3Mbps transfer rate, and a number of drives come out of the box set with jumpers at 1.5Mbps (common to PCs).

If you have a drive that can be changed to (jumper) or is configured at 3Mbps...then you should be fine using it with the HR21 series - eSata. As for using one internally....the tech requirement is the same, but then there's that voided warranty thing....

AFAIK, every 1TB SATA drive is fast enough.
Do we know of any of them that come with default settings that force them to run slower? (I don't, but maybe I missed something.)
AFAIK, the default settings out-of-the-box for modern high-capacity bare SATA drives are the fast setting.

You state that "a number" of them have slow defaults. Is this really true? If so, which ones?
We see cases of people getting confused because they think they need to mess around with jumpers when they shouldn't be doing that.
AFAIK, for modern high-capacity SATA drives, people should not be messing with jumper settings, but maybe I missed something somewhere.
If you know of any cases where people have to mess with jumpers, please post what they are.

Am I correct in assuming that just about any eSATA setup will work with the HR20-700?

No. Don't assume that. But whatever configuration works, it works for all HD DVR models.

This is a false statement.
There are multiple reports that permit us to conclude that various configurations that work with HR20's do *not* work with HR21/HR22's.

The truth appears to be that most-but-not-all eSATA's work with HR20's, but many of those do not work with HR21's.
This very problem of inconsistency between HR20's and HR21's is exactly why this FAQ got started.
The fact is that HR21's (and evidently HR22's) have been a lot more picky about what eSATA drives they work with.
Please don't tell people otherwise, because that's simply not true.

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

It's time to check new 2TB disk, just shell out $240 for the test.

#56 OFFLINE   wildbillyboygolf

wildbillyboygolf

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

Tried an AcomData 1TB PureDrive model # PDHD1000USE-72 - which a buyer on NewEgg said had a WD10EACS hard drive (tho I didn't confirm this by opening it up) - and it didn't work with my HR22-100.

The picture would freeze and then jump/shudder when it unfroze. Also the hard drive light would change from blue (good signal) to amber (no signal) constantly.

Going to try a Calvary CAXB3701T0 1TB drive next. Calvary said this is the same as the CAXM3701T0 mentioned earlier in this thread - except for the esata adapter and cable. Let you know next week if it works.

Have used the above Calvary CAXB3701T0 1TB drive (with a new SIIG cable) on an HR 22-100 for 10 days now with no problems.

#57 OFFLINE   eastglacierpark

eastglacierpark

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:10 AM

I just updated the 1st post to reflect some new reports we have about RAID boxes.

This is probably just a newbie issue, but I don't see anything attached to the first post? No text, no attachment to download. Can you point me to the FAQ document?

Many thanks!

#58 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:21 AM

Regarding the comment that theres no need to format the driver before use, since the HR does it.

As far as I know, the HR doesnt do a full format/surface check, but just writes its file system and then continues writing.

While the benefits may be arguable, I always hook up a DVR drive to a computer and run a full format/surface check on it once before installing it, and check for any Smart errors when its done. By doing this, any marginal sectors will be remapped and if the drive is a little hinky out of the box, I'd rather have it do something detectably bad when its hooked up to the PC rather than having it crop up a day/week/month later when I have 100 shows recorded on it.

#59 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

Regarding the comment that theres no need to format the driver before use, since the HR does it.

As far as I know, the HR doesnt do a full format/surface check, but just writes its file system and then continues writing.

While the benefits may be arguable, I always hook up a DVR drive to a computer and run a full format/surface check on it once before installing it, and check for any Smart errors when its done. By doing this, any marginal sectors will be remapped and if the drive is a little hinky out of the box, I'd rather have it do something detectably bad when its hooked up to the PC rather than having it crop up a day/week/month later when I have 100 shows recorded on it.

Nope.

The "run a full format/surface check on it" will do not do that.
You'll need special programs like MHDD.exe what invoke HDD firmware REMAP process of bad sectors by triggering SMART threshold.

Nope.

#60 OFFLINE   zdstring

zdstring

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

Just some points on this thread:

I've built up several external units for myself, friends and customers and have had excellent results with the Antec MX-1 case (actively cooled & comes with an eSATA cable).
Installed and working perfectly were: 1TB (930GB) Maxtor MXTL01F100, Samsung !TB (930GB formatted) and Seagate 750GB ST3750640AS Drives.

-When you install and initialize these drives, I have always done a complete NTFS Format (2-4 hours depending on connection/cpu) before attaching them to DirecTV HR-21/22 systems.
- Because you will be creating all new recording preferences, channels, etc. that will reside on this external expansion drive, turn the DVR off, unplug it, attach the external drive, turn on the external drive and let it spin up 20-30 seconds, plug in your DVR and start it up.
You will need to go through all the station set up, recording preferences, etc. that you originally did with the original setup. These will reside on this external unit. If/when you switch back to the internal hard drive (turn off your system-(no need to unplug it this time), turn off the external drive/unplug the eSATA cable, turn your DVR back on) all of your Original settings, recorded programs, schedules, etc. will be there.
- I have also had excellent results with the Seagate FreeAgent Pro ST305004FPA1E3-RK. Because it came with a bunch of backup software, I reinitialized the drive and did a complete NTFS format and attached it to the DVR in the same process described above.

Hope this helps all of you.
Doug

spam firewall