Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
565 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:48 AM

I have 2 HR20s that work fine with 750 GB Seagate FreeAgent Pros, and I have a HR21 used standalone, but I want to move it to my main system since all the other components are black. The Seagate FreeAgent Pro did not work with the HR21 (which is the reason I ended up at this thread).

I've ordered an Antec MX-1 and a WD Cavier Green WD10EADS 1TB drive. That will be here in a few days, so I'll see how it works. Keeping fingers crossed that it's a good combination for the HR21.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

I have 2 HR20s that work fine with 750 GB Seagate FreeAgent Pros, and I have a HR21 used standalone, but I want to move it to my main system since all the other components are black. The Seagate FreeAgent Pro did not work with the HR21 (which is the reason I ended up at this thread).

I've ordered an Antec MX-1 and a WD Cavier Green WD10EADS 1TB drive. That will be here in a few days, so I'll see how it works. Keeping fingers crossed that it's a good combination for the HR21.

It seems the WD10EADS and MX-1 combination work fine for me. This is the newer version of the WD10EACS drive, but with a 32MB cache. I hooked them up this afternoon to my HR21. I've been setting prefs, recording, playing back, and generally doing all kinds of things that resulted in freezes galore when I tried a Seagate FreeAgent Pro previously. I have not had even a hiccup with this drive. :)

#83 OFFLINE   Chip2000

Chip2000

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

My HR21-100 with a 1TB disk (varying in the range of 85-99% full) takes about 7 seconds to display the Playlist. This slowdown only started after the NR of a few weeks ago. Prior to that SW release, the Playlist was not so slow in coming up, even with the 1TB disk at 99% full. Something clearly changed in the last NR that caused this.

Same here with my HR21-100 (eSATA 1TB varying in the range of 75-80% full) after the last NR on December 17th. Up to 20 seconds of delay after some button presses in the playlist now. Never had anything close to this kind of slowness with the prior 2 or 3 NRs since I received this box.

#84 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

Same here with my HR21-100 (eSATA 1TB varying in the range of 75-80% full) after the last NR on December 17th. Up to 20 seconds of delay after some button presses in the playlist now. Never had anything close to this kind of slowness with the prior 2 or 3 NRs since I received this box.

It appears that periodically restarting the HR via the menu improves this.
Not sure why.
I believe its clearing the cache of recent activity.
For all I know, it might be cleaning up the db in other ways.
Again, I'm not exactly sure about this, but it appears to help.
I do it every couple days. (FWIW)

#85 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

Newegg has the Cavalry CAXE3701T0 1TB eSATA drive for $109.99 shipped free today.

#86 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:35 PM

1 HR21-700

1 1.5TB SATA Seagate Barracuda 32 mb cache, 7200 rpm, Best Buy $127

1 Antec Veris MX-1 HD Enclosure $72 Best Buy (eSATA cable included)

35 minutes to assemble hook up, restart receiver, format drive to live TV

I may have saved on enclosure at Newegg or elswhere but couldn't wait when my HR21 internal drive quit working.

Hard drive was found on sale in a BestBuy store and seemed like a good price. I can't find it on BestBuy web site, don't know why.

Edited by gitarzan, 26 January 2009 - 05:41 PM.

#87 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

1 HR21-700

1 1.5TB SATA Seagate Barracuda 32 mb cache, 7200 rpm, Best Buy $127

1 Antec Veris MX-1 HD Enclosure $72 Best Buy (eSATA cable included)

35 minutes to assemble hook up, restart receiver, format drive to live TV

I may have saved on enclosure at Newegg or elswhere but couldn't wait when my HR21 internal drive quit working.

Hard drive was found on sale in a BestBuy store and seemed like a good price. I can't find it on BestBuy web site, don't know why.

You might want to make sure that Seagate isn't one of the drives with a firmware problem that gets bricked leaving all data inaccessible. Seagate has a firmware update.

#88 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

You might want to make sure that Seagate isn't one of the drives with a firmware problem that gets bricked leaving all data inaccessible. Seagate has a firmware update.

Good idea. I just checked and it is not listed as one needing the update.

I didn't run the utility to identify it. I hope I can rely on the model number shown on the retail box. ST315005N1A1AS-RK

#89 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

Good idea. I just checked and it is not listed as one needing the update.

I didn't run the utility to identify it. I hope I can rely on the model number shown on the retail box. ST315005N1A1AS-RK

You'll need to check the label on the drive and/or run the utility...as the number on the unit will be different than any model number on the box with an "RK" at the end - Retail Kit.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#90 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

hi:

I have an hr21-700. I removed the 320gb and installed an 80 gb hitachi SATA II drive just to see if it would work before making the plunge for a 1 TB. I turned on the HR and she did an immediate format. BTW, that drive has been in my computer for 2 years. I recorded some hd & sd programming, about 30 minutes worth. I didn't see any difference between the hitachi and the orig. 320 WD. Again I'm only playing with this for a couple of hours so i don't have any results on video quality, problems etc.

I did have a few hiccups like I am not authorized to record this program (i think because my favorites changed) and an unauthorized access card (762). I re-installed the card and then no problem. Once i redid my favorites everything seems normal. The guide has to reload so now only a few programs are available in the guide.

That was information for everyone on my experience. I now may buy the WD WD10EACS, WD10EVCS or the WD10EADS not sure yet. The EACS AND EVCS have 16m/b buffers while the EADS has a 32m/b buffer. I was wondering if the buffer size helps or hinders video playback and is a determining factor in a HD choice for the hr-21-700. Except for power consumption all other specs for those models are about the same. Any advice on this or any other internal HD appreciated in advance.

Lastly, if I hook up the original 320gb with all my programs on it (had about 20% space remaining) and the new 1 TB drive to my computer do you think a program like acronis trueimage or ghost etc will make an exact copy of the 320 to the 1tb?
Regards...

Edited by pennsylvaniaRON, 27 January 2009 - 11:11 AM.
updated information

#91 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hi:

I was hoping that someone may have responded by now. yeah I'm in a hurry. well in the meantime I hooked up the orig hr-21 320gb hd to my computer. she comes up with 3 healthy UNKNOWN partitions (518mb, 15.01gb, 282.58gb).

I tried to clone the drive with TrueImage but at this point I'm stopped by my lack of a drive at least 320gb.The largest drive in my computer is 250gb so trueimage is balking at the smaller size. It looks like trueimage might do the clone because the program sees the HD albeit even with the lack of a drive letter. However trueimage wants me to run chkdsk thinking there might be a problem with the partitions (because they are unknown).

I'll only know if this will work by cloning to a likesize or larger drive.

also as far as the 80 gb I installed in the hr21 last night. she's chugging away, recording hd and sd. I see absolutely no difference in pic quality or RW, FF functions etc. at this point I may get the WD WD10EADS which has the 32 meg buffer. though she's not made for 24x7 video she runs cooler and all the specs are the same as the 24x7 model. If a first generation Hitachi is working I would believe this WD should also.
REGARDS...

#92 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

also as far as the 80 gb I installed in the hr21 last night. she's chugging away, recording hd and sd. I see absolutely no difference in pic quality or RW, FF functions etc. at this point I may get the WD WD10EADS which has the 32 meg buffer. though she's not made for 24x7 video she runs cooler and all the specs are the same as the 24x7 model. If a first generation Hitachi is working I would believe this WD should also.
REGARDS...

I've been using this drive in an Antex MX-1 eSATA enclosure for about 3 weeks now and it works just fine. Have filled it about halfway.

#93 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

Just a point about the % bar when you install a smaller drive. It doesn't move. I've recorded all the espn news shows in HD this afternoon (about 6 hrs worth of HD) and the % bar is still at 100%.:eek2: Apparently when you go smaller the software is not calibrated (or some other reason) to accurately keep track of HD space.

While this basically isn't a problem because we all want to INCREASE the HD space with a LARGER HD its a point of information...:)
REGARDS...

#94 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:06 PM

Well, Western Digital just announced the release of their 2 TB Green Caviar Drive, the WD20EADS, which is designed for use in a DVR. Can't wait to get my hands on one of those to put in my HR23-700.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#95 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

Well, Western Digital just announced the release of their 2 TB Green Caviar Drive, the WD20EADS, which is designed for use in a DVR. Can't wait to get my hands on one of those to put in my HR23-700.

wow I just finished reading the article at dailytech.com. Its says the 1.5 and 2TB are being shipped to dealers next week. Article was dated today 1/27/09. So I guess I'll wait. Still am very curious about the cloning issue.
REGARDS

#96 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

You'll need to check the label on the drive and/or run the utility...as the number on the unit will be different than any model number on the box with an "RK" at the end - Retail Kit.

Sure enough it is one of the drives potentially with the problem. The Seagage website says if I have CC or LC firmware no action is needed. The sticker on the drive says it has firmware CC1H. I think that means I am okay.

#97 OFFLINE   ntrance

ntrance

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:24 AM

Still am very curious about the cloning issue.
REGARDS

See this thread for copying a drive:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760
You will have to use the xfsdump/xfsrestore rather than bit-for-bit copy tools. I have tried copy to a smaller drive as a test, 200GB, and it seemed to work fine, but 80Gb is probably too small.

#98 OFFLINE   LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

Sure enough it is one of the drives potentially with the problem. The Seagage website says if I have CC or LC firmware no action is needed. The sticker on the drive says it has firmware CC1H. I think that means I am okay.

Right, I got two of these drives from Frys yesterday and both had CC1H. After all the firmware noise with the 7200.11 series I pored through their hideous forum and it appears that we're okay - for now. :)
--Larry
2 HR20-100 * 1 HR21-700 * 1 HR20-700 * 1 HR23-700 * 2 H23-xxx
AU9-SL3/WB616 MS/OTA (CM4228+CM7777)

#99 OFFLINE   rwatson

rwatson

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:13 AM

Sorry to post this, I have read as much as I can beforehand.
I just purchased a WD My Book Home edition (costco) 1 Tetra drive. I got the proper cable at Frys, connected it to my HR20, restarted the system as instructed in these posts. HR20 knew the drive was there, restarted itself several times trying to address it. I know this because the light on the drive would go out and back on when the HR20 reset itself in the first steps of trying to boot up. After a number of retrys, the HR20 gives up and boots from the internal disc normally.
I assumed the problem may be the WD sync files that come on the disc, so I reformatted the drive. The file system is FAT32, but when I tried to reformat it the reformat failed saying the drive was too large for FAT32, so I got a successful format using NTFS with now an empty drive with the normal expected capacity.
I again connected it to the DVR with the same results, again the HR20 tried multiple times to address the external drive, the drive light flickered each time the HR20 reset itself, and after a number of trys the HR20 again gave up and started up from the internal drive.

I have done all the tricks listed earlier in this post.. Switched cable ends, made sure the plugs were inserted properly, each time started the HR20 by unplugging it and so forth.

Any suggestions? I can really see no evidence the drive itself is not working.

#100 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:54 AM

Sorry to post this, I have read as much as I can beforehand.
I just purchased a WD My Book Home edition (costco) 1 Tetra drive. I got the proper cable at Frys, connected it to my HR20, restarted the system as instructed in these posts. HR20 knew the drive was there, restarted itself several times trying to address it. I know this because the light on the drive would go out and back on when the HR20 reset itself in the first steps of trying to boot up. After a number of retrys, the HR20 gives up and boots from the internal disc normally.
I assumed the problem may be the WD sync files that come on the disc, so I reformatted the drive. The file system is FAT32, but when I tried to reformat it the reformat failed saying the drive was too large for FAT32, so I got a successful format using NTFS with now an empty drive with the normal expected capacity.
I again connected it to the DVR with the same results, again the HR20 tried multiple times to address the external drive, the drive light flickered each time the HR20 reset itself, and after a number of trys the HR20 again gave up and started up from the internal drive.

I have done all the tricks listed earlier in this post.. Switched cable ends, made sure the plugs were inserted properly, each time started the HR20 by unplugging it and so forth.

Any suggestions? I can really see no evidence the drive itself is not working.

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this but I believe the WD My Book's do not work with any DVR's.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...