Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   rwatson

rwatson

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

I returned my WD My Book, got a Seagate 1.5 tetra and it worked out of the box and just fine.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

Two weeks ago the hard drive in my HR21-700 failed. The hard drive was full of stuff I would have liked to have been able to keep including the 2008 Superbowl, Star Wars and Tom Petty concerts. The failure was on a weekend and I wanted to get it fixed. Since I was wanting to add an external hard drive anyway that gave me the perfect excuse to go ahead. I went with the Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB with an antec enclosure. That has been working great.

Well I decided a good idea to go ahead and call DirecTV to get my HR21 replaced anyway, and well why not. At least I would have a working receiver if my eSATA drive fails. So in the last week I have been recording programs on my eSATA drive including Sundays Superbowl game. I was expecting to move the smart card from the old receiver to the new one and that would allow me to keep my content on my eSATA drive. It didn't work that way, the replacement HR came with an access card that I was expected to use when I activated it. Well now as expected I can see my recorded shows but they do not play, something about authorized content. Is there anyway to make this work (to keep my shows on my eSATA)? Anyone I can talk to at DirecTV to let me use the old card, assuming that would work?

#103 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:45 PM

Ok, not quite as bad as I thought. The Superbowl, The Office(which I hadn't watched yet), and other shows recorded from my AM21 tuner are not protected content and will play back.

#104 OFFLINE   yeungp

yeungp

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:40 AM

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this but I believe the WD My Book's do not work with any DVR's.

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with my 1TB WD My Book connected to my HR22, but it's only been 5 weeks.

#105 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:15 AM

Is there anyway to make this work (to keep my shows on my eSATA)? Anyone I can talk to at DirecTV to let me use the old card, assuming that would work?

When the HR2Xs record shows they prefix them with the Serial Number of the DVR and they check that Serial Number in the Recordings against the stored Serial Number of the DVR prior to playback. If you take that drive and put it in another DVR, when you boot it up it will be able to see those recordings but when it Actually tries to do the playback it tries to verify that the Serial Number on the Recording is the same as the one on the DVR and since they don't match it will give you a message stating that the content is not authorized to be played back on that DVR.

We are trying to get Directv to Marry the Drive to the person's Directv account number and not the DVRs Serial Number but this may never happen.

It would be nice because if you have an eSATA External Drive with a lot of nice recordings on it and your DVR fails when you send it back and get a replacement you would be able to hook up your eSATA Drive to it and view your old saved recordings. Currently it will see that the Serial Numbers are different and will not allow you to view them. BAH HUMBUG!!!

It would be a very easy fix if Directv wanted us to be able to do this and why not?

#106 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

I've been using a FAP with my HR20 and D* just sent me a new HR21 as a replacement. I've read the posts and see that the FAP generally does not work with the HR21. I hooked my FAP up to my HR21 and, as expected, my FAP isn't recognized by my HR21 (it does get power from the HR21 though, which is a bit interesting, i.e., when I plug the FAP into the HR21, it powers on my FAP). Anyway, I'm wondering whether anyone has gotten the FAP to work with the HR21, and if so, is there anything I can try or am I SOL? I've done a fair amount of searching, but haven't found anything positive yet.

#107 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

I've been using a FAP with my HR20 and D* just sent me a new HR21 as a replacement. I've read the posts and see that the FAP generally does not work with the HR21. I hooked my FAP up to my HR21 and, as expected, my FAP isn't recognized by my HR21 (it does get power from the HR21 though, which is a bit interesting, i.e., when I plug the FAP into the HR21, it powers on my FAP). Anyway, I'm wondering whether anyone has gotten the FAP to work with the HR21, and if so, is there anything I can try or am I SOL? I've done a fair amount of searching, but haven't found anything positive yet.

If it doesn't work it isn't going to.

I swapped the HR20 in my living room with the HR21 from my office. My FAP was recognized but the HR21 would lock up periodically. I ended getting a Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure and buying a WD Cavier drive, although I'll bet the raw drive from the FAP might work in the MX-1.

#108 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:59 AM

When the HR2Xs record shows they prefix them with the Serial Number of the DVR and they check that Serial Number in the Recordings against the stored Serial Number of the DVR prior to playback. If you take that drive and put it in another DVR, when you boot it up it will be able to see those recordings but when it Actually tries to do the playback it tries to verify that the Serial Number on the Recording is the same as the one on the DVR and since they don't match it will give you a message stating that the content is not authorized to be played back on that DVR.

We are trying to get Directv to Marry the Drive to the person's Directv account number and not the DVRs Serial Number but this may never happen.

It would be nice because if you have an eSATA External Drive with a lot of nice recordings on it and your DVR fails when you send it back and get a replacement you would be able to hook up your eSATA Drive to it and view your old saved recordings. Currently it will see that the Serial Numbers are different and will not allow you to view them. BAH HUMBUG!!!

It would be a very easy fix if Directv wanted us to be able to do this and why not?

Dish have the feature - use same EHD between all DVRs on your account; why DTV is sleeping ? :confused:

#109 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Because Directv is Sleepy and needs to take a nap!!

#110 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

Because Directv is Sleepy and needs to take a nap!!

Could have fooled me. I've thought they've been napping for a long time now. I'm beginning to suspect they've gone comatose.

#111 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

The Biggest Mistake was when Rupert bought them and then took them away from TiVo. That is when they started to lag behind because it takes along time to catch up with all of the hardware and software so they are running to catch up and finally the box is starting to work like it should albeit it does have it hiccups when New Software gets downloaded for whatever reasons.

Can't wait to see what the NEW DIRECTIVO will look like. Will it be DIRECTIVO LITE???

#112 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

If it doesn't work it isn't going to.

although I'll bet the raw drive from the FAP might work in the MX-1.

Really? For the HR21, I thought there was a problem with the FAP drive itself (the transfer rate or something like that). Could putting that same drive in a different case really solve the problem? If yes, I'd love to try it.

Edited by RMSko, 13 February 2009 - 12:13 PM.

#113 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

My understanding was that in the FAP's and HR's that didnt work, taking the drive out rendered the same problem...it was something in the drive (either firmware or settings) that made it not work. I'm suspecting the ability to change link speeds or maintain a reasonable speed. Seagate might have been taking some of their factory seconds, detuning them, and using those for externals since high performance really isnt a prime feature of an external.

Plus as I understand it, taking the FAP apart is really tough and taking it apart messes the enclosure up pretty badly most of the time.

Some people have had some luck with fishing the drive out, changing the firmware, and putting it in another case. Others tried the same thing and had poor results.

http://blog.noegruts...-pro-esata.html

#114 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

My understanding was that in the FAP's and HR's that didnt work, taking the drive out rendered the same problem...

Plus as I understand it, taking the FAP apart is really tough and taking it apart messes the enclosure up pretty badly most of the time.

http://blog.noegruts...-pro-esata.html

Some people seem claim to have gotten it to work via a new enclosure. Anyone out there who has had this success?

Also, regarding the enclosure, I'm not as concerned about taking apart the FAP since I don't care about the old enclosure. I'm happy to crack it open, remove the drive and then throw the old enclosure in the garbage. Am I missing something with this approach?

#115 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

Not really and if the drive isnt working for you in any other application or you have no need for it to work in any other setup (like on a PC) then I guess you've got nothing to lose.

Read that link I sent though. Some people seemed to have better luck with it than others.

#116 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:57 PM

Read that link I sent though. Some people seemed to have better luck with it than others.

Yup - did take a look at it. It was a bit promising, but also realistic. I just don't know if anyone got it to work with an HR21. I guess I can try and see what happens. Worst case I end up with a new external USB/SATA drive for my PC. Thanks for all your help though.

#117 OFFLINE   RMSko

RMSko

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:37 PM

Success! I removed my FAP disk and put it into an Antec MX-1 enclosure and my HR21 found it immediately! For me this was important because my HR21 was a replacement for an HR20 and I had been using the FAP with that HR20 and it had all my Series Links on it. Also, the enclosure was a lot cheaper than a new eSATA. Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that this approach works. Perhaps the OP should edit the first post to mention this.

#118 OFFLINE   alphajim

alphajim

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:10 PM

hr21-700
Antec enclosure MX-1
Samsung 640gig OEM drive

System booted, ran self check, checked sat info (stage 1), formated the drive, rebooted (on it's own), and then completed a full boot. I was actually lucky since I hadn't read this thread yet. I picked the Antec because I was worried about heat. It's a little loud if you're sitting next to it, but 10ft away, I couldn't hear it.

I got here because the system started freezing up. I was just a little too late though. When I went to reboot the unit (before adding the esata drive), it realized the disk format was toast, and just kept looping through the first boot stages. Unit was 1 yr old when the drive died.

#119 OFFLINE   flabingo

flabingo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

Is there an organization that can fix a D* DVR without bring involved with D*?

#120 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

Yes, there are several companies that can fix Directv DVRs depending on what is wrong with it.

Do you have a Bad Power Supply unit?

Do you have a Failing or Failed Hard Drive?

What is the Problem and what are the Symptoms?

We are not Psychic here at DBSTALK.COM. Well, I am but I charge alot for Psychic Tuning In of Your Problem.

Just what are you trying to accomplish or solve?

spam firewall