Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

Seagate 1.5TB 32MB SATA Bulk/OEM Hard Drive. Would this drive work in a Antec MX-1 enclosure? Connected to a HR22-100? I'm aware of the firmware update if needed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   awaschka

awaschka

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hope this post is OK. I have read all the recent information, and followed the reset instructions, with no luck. I am wondering if anyone has a similar configuration or has any suggestions. I have an HR20-100. I purchased a WD Caviar 1000 1TB drive that would seem to be compatible, i.e. E-SATA and 3 Gbps transfer. I put it in a Kingwin ESATA enclosure that is a combination ESATA and USB. It appears to be operating in the ESATA mode (front pilot light lit) but when I power the receiver off and back on it does not detect the ESATA drive and continues to operate from the internal. The receiver is running version 0x2d7 loaded 3/5. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al

#123 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Get an antec mx-1 enclosure and dump the kingwin.

#124 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

Get an antec mx-1 enclosure and dump the kingwin.

This shouldn't make a difference. I've used 3 different eSata enclosures and haven't had any problems. None were the Antec mx-1.

Make sure that the cable is tight and that the drive has spun up before you restart the DVR. Did you unplug the receiver or just reset it? Try unplugging for a couple minutes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#125 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

This shouldn't make a difference.

Yet it does. This and other DVR communities working with esata's have found that some enclosures work and some dont.

I would expect fewer problems with pure esata enclosures, but combo usb/esata ones have a little more potential for complexity.

#126 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

Yet it does. This and other DVR communities working with esata's have found that some enclosures work and some dont.

I would expect fewer problems with pure esata enclosures, but combo usb/esata ones have a little more potential for complexity.

Just hasn't been a problem in my experience. That's what I go by, I've had a Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosure hooked to mine for over a year and I just hooked up a COOLMAX HD-380BR without any problems. Both are eSATA and USB.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#127 OFFLINE   awaschka

awaschka

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

I reset the receiver by pulling the power cord. The receiver goes through the startup test but does not detect the drive. The drive is spinning. I put my ear on the case and turned it off. After the fan coasts down (a rougher rotational sound due to the magnets in the fan motor) I can hear the drive spinning down.

Edited by awaschka, 21 March 2009 - 08:46 PM.

#128 OFFLINE   awaschka

awaschka

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

The WD drive is fresh out of the box, i.e. not formatted. I was thinking about hooking it up to a PC USB to see if it works, but I don't think the PC will see it since it isn't formatted. Can you format an unformatted drive via USB or do I have to hook it up SATA to the PC?

OK, I hooked it up USB and stumbled through the process using Storage Manager. It now works USB to my PC but the HR20 still doens't see it. I guess I've got a new backup drive.....

Edited by awaschka, 28 March 2009 - 07:51 AM.

#129 OFFLINE   awaschka

awaschka

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:31 AM

Thanks everybody....I ordered the Antec from Amazon. While browsing reviews I found one from a guy with my exact configuration and the Antec worked for him, so hopefully it will for me.

#130 OFFLINE   auskck

auskck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

I see no use in using large external drives, if DirecTv doesn't change the FW to allow the drives to be switched to a different receiver. Your rolling the dice hoping you Chinese/Mexican receiver doesn't go belly up Oops there goes 500hrs of savers lost.

#131 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

I see no use in using large external drives, if DirecTv doesn't change the FW to allow the drives to be switched to a different receiver. Your rolling the dice hoping you Chinese/Mexican receiver doesn't go belly up Oops there goes 500hrs of savers lost.

So how is that worse than relying on the standard internal drive if the unit goes belly up, other than the amount of lost recordings.

I would run out of space all the time with the internal drive. I'm happy to take the risk because the benefits outweigh it may times over.

#132 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

Perhaps you're not aware Dish solution: external USB UNLIMITED storage, you can use many different disks ( one at the time ) and move the disks between same type of DVRs - one group is 622/722/722k(?) and other - 211/411.
If your DVR will die, you can continue use all the disks with new one.

#133 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

That'd be a great feature. We'll get that right after the half-a$$ed media player, non-dlb, sort of mrv and other stuff is stabilized in 2011.

#134 OFFLINE   auskck

auskck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:11 AM

So how is that worse than relying on the standard internal drive if the unit goes belly up, other than the amount of lost recordings.

I would run out of space all the time with the internal drive. I'm happy to take the risk because the benefits outweigh it may times over.

Not a reliable system for building a video library on is it? If you don't care about your savers that's fine with me. I'am looking at a long term library system

Edited by auskck, 30 March 2009 - 05:22 AM.

#135 OFFLINE   auskck

auskck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:15 AM

Perhaps you're not aware Dish solution: external USB UNLIMITED storage, you can use many different disks ( one at the time ) and move the disks between same type of DVRs - one group is 622/722/722k(?) and other - 211/411.
If your DVR will die, you can continue use all the disks with new one.

Since I'm looking at building a video library system that will last, DirecTv better get their finger out or I'll be a Dish customer. Would not take much to change the FW, like don't check for receiver's serial number when the drive is mounted. If they want to check on something let them check Customer Account Number. Just plan dumb FW. If you can send your recording to any PC on your network with DIRECTV2PC what are they trying to protect by checking the boxes ID?

Edited by auskck, 30 March 2009 - 05:45 AM.

#136 OFFLINE   cmarcum

cmarcum

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

It appears that periodically restarting the HR via the menu improves this.
Not sure why.
I believe its clearing the cache of recent activity.
For all I know, it might be cleaning up the db in other ways.
Again, I'm not exactly sure about this, but it appears to help.
I do it every couple days. (FWIW)

I used this setup since last Aug 2008. It was plug and play with no problems. It recently started acting very sluggish in responces, so I figured it was going down the tubes. I had it up to about 75% capacity before problems started...including freeze ups, stuttering video, slow responce times to FF and playlist (very annoying). Rebooting does help for a while as you stated. I have also noticed the power light going off several times on the drive and had to turn off the Apricorn drive and reboot both ext. HDD and HR to resume normal function.

Whats good....
It was easy to set up. No problems with setup.
It is very quiet, in fact there is no noise at all from it.
It is very cool. Cold almost while running.

What is not...
Is the drive failing? will update later
I have deleted programming to 40% and it seem to help normal function as long as I reboot the HR every so often (about once a week)
After reading some of the above comments I would agree that an update to the HR may have caused the problems.

I am currently searching for a replacement external drive and have purchased a FAP-X 1.5 TB and have had no success getting it to be recognized yet. I am unable to get the HDD to remain "0n" before booting the HR, as some other have had a similar problem I hope to solve this,

#137 OFFLINE   auskck

auskck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

I used this setup since last Aug 2008. It was plug and play with no problems. It recently started acting very sluggish in responces, so I figured it was going down the tubes. I had it up to about 75% capacity before problems started...including freeze ups, stuttering video, slow responce times to FF and playlist (very annoying). Rebooting does help for a while as you stated. I have also noticed the power light going off several times on the drive and had to turn off the Apricorn drive and reboot both ext. HDD and HR to resume normal function.

Whats good....
It was easy to set up. No problems with setup.
It is very quiet, in fact there is no noise at all from it.
It is very cool. Cold almost while running.

What is not...
Is the drive failing? will update later
I have deleted programming to 40% and it seem to help normal function as long as I reboot the HR every so often (about once a week)
After reading some of the above comments I would agree that an update to the HR may have caused the problems.

I am currently searching for a replacement external drive and have purchased a FAP-X 1.5 TB and have had no success getting it to be recognized yet. I am unable to get the HDD to remain "0n" before booting the HR, as some other have had a similar problem I hope to solve this,

The Antec MX-1 seems to work with all receivers. It works on my Hr22 with 1TB drive.

Edited by auskck, 31 March 2009 - 03:05 AM.

#138 OFFLINE   joshalee

joshalee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:54 PM

Newbie adding the estata drive. Can you provide some feedback?

1. Is $107 a good price on amazon for the 1TB calvary?
2. I have the first gen HR20 (silver) it should work okay?
3. Can I still record from my dual tuners?
4. Do I lose any of the functionality of the DVR when using the external?

#139 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

Newbie adding the estata drive. Can you provide some feedback?

1. Is $107 a good price on amazon for the 1TB calvary?
2. I have the first gen HR20 (silver) it should work okay?
3. Can I still record from my dual tuners?
4. Do I lose any of the functionality of the DVR when using the external?

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. No, but you won't have access to anything on the internal and will have to redo your settings, subscriptions, etc.

#140 OFFLINE   joshalee

joshalee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

Great thanks for the feedback.

spam firewall