Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA FAQ

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

I used this setup since last Aug 2008. It was plug and play with no problems. It recently started acting very sluggish in responces, so I figured it was going down the tubes. I had it up to about 75% capacity before problems started...including freeze ups, stuttering video, slow responce times to FF and playlist (very annoying). Rebooting does help for a while as you stated. I have also noticed the power light going off several times on the drive and had to turn off the Apricorn drive and reboot both ext. HDD and HR to resume normal function.

Whats good....
It was easy to set up. No problems with setup.
It is very quiet, in fact there is no noise at all from it.
It is very cool. Cold almost while running.

What is not...
Is the drive failing? will update later
I have deleted programming to 40% and it seem to help normal function as long as I reboot the HR every so often (about once a week)
After reading some of the above comments I would agree that an update to the HR may have caused the problems.

I am currently searching for a replacement external drive and have purchased a FAP-X 1.5 TB and have had no success getting it to be recognized yet. I am unable to get the HDD to remain "0n" before booting the HR, as some other have had a similar problem I hope to solve this,

What model HR is that? I have two Xtremes and they work perfectly with a 20-700. The eSATA might well not stay "on" during the hook up process. The FAPs usually did not come "on" until the HR recognized the eSATA. Since Seagate makes both products...

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

Get an antec mx-1 enclosure and dump the kingwin.

Ahh, nobody listens.

Rich

#143 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm this but I believe the WD My Book's do not work with any DVR's.

I have read reports in posts that some folks have working My Books on 21s. I never tried one on a 21, but I know they will not work on a 20.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 03 April 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#144 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

Delete your recordings that you don't need when you start to have problems and then reboot.

#145 OFFLINE   auskck

auskck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

I will be testing with this configuration in a couple of days, awaiting the drives)
Purposed external case $29.88
http://cooldrives.st...bayesouca8.html
(2)Serial ATA Drive Drawer good price
http://www.startech....ive-Drawer.aspx
(2)HITACHI 0A38016 1TB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145233
This is not a Raid system 1 drive might get connected to my HTPC dual purpose system
*** Update ***
Everything arrived on 2 April 2009
It took me about 1 hr to assemble all the bits and pieces
Unplugged the HR22, Plugged in SATA cable and fired up the drives.(only using 1 drive at a time not a raid system)
Plugged in HR22 when it came up WOW a new SATA drive appeared.
I can't believe it came up on the first try.
Swapping drives is a breeze
Testing scheduled recording and VOD worked fine
If your going to have lots of external drives this is the way to go much more reasonably priced then single enclosures setup
Approximate cost to install first 2 1tb drives $200 additional drives price of drive plus + $11 for removable HDD rack

Edited by auskck, 04 April 2009 - 03:14 AM.

#146 OFFLINE   awaschka

awaschka

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

Built my Antec MX-1 and hooked it up. It's different, but still doesn't work. I got the Antec MX-1 and a WD1001FALS. With this combo plugged in, the HR-20 gets part way through the startup sequence, shuts down and starts over. The screen sequence is:

1. "Hello, your D* receiver is starting up.
2. "Almost there, a few more seconds please..."
3. "Just a few more seconds...."
4. "Running receiver self-check"
5. "Step 1 of 2: Checking satellite settings...."
CRASH!

I never see anything about a new drive and formatting. The HD is spinning and it is hooked up with the e-SATA cable. I have flipped the e-SATA cable. I've been using the one that came with my other enclosure.

Switched to the e-SATA cable that came with the Antec. On the first pass, the system goes through the boot sequence as normal, but when it comes up, I see my recorded shows and play list from the internal drive. On subsequent re-boots, sometimes it gets to the "Almost there...." screen and then shuts down and re-starts, sometimes it goes all the way through.

For my reset, I'm unplugging the power cable from the HR-20, starting up the Antec/WD, and then plugging in the power cable to the HR-20.

Do I have to partition the HD first? I read here that I don't have to format it, but what about a partition? Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by awaschka, 08 April 2009 - 11:27 PM.
New data

#147 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,932 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:44 AM

Nope.
All partitioning will be done by HR2x Linux and your MBR will be lost.

But ! If MBR sector [# 0] is freaky, you could force HDD FW to remap it by attempting to change it at least 30 times by creating new partitions.

#148 OFFLINE   nealkdc@gmail.com

nealkdc@gmail.com

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

wow you guys are wonderful! thank you! I'm so glad I came here and spent my entire day off piecing it all together!

War DBSTalk.Com!

Good Night Now!

Edited by nealkdc@gmail.com, 07 June 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#149 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:57 PM

I can not believe I wasted an entire day on this... for me it worked perfectly on my HR22 with a western digital my book home edition 1 tb external hard drive connected with dynex esata cable.

now why the heck can't any of you post something that simple so people like me don't waste their entire day reading through all the nonsense? I work 75 hours a week. My one off day is Sunday. this entire day was wasted and now I have to go to bed so I can work in the morning...

thanks for nothing, to everyone but the one guy said his wd my book home edition hdd worked. which I read 6 hours ago...

You're welcome for that nothing. I'm happy to provide it anytime. :lol:

#150 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,818 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

I can not believe I wasted an entire day on this... for me it worked perfectly on my HR22 with a western digital my book home edition 1 tb external hard drive connected with dynex esata cable.

now why the heck can't any of you post something that simple so people like me don't waste their entire day reading through all the nonsense? I work 75 hours a week. My one off day is Sunday. this entire day was wasted and now I have to go to bed so I can work in the morning...

thanks for nothing, to everyone but the one guy said his wd my book home edition hdd worked. which I read 6 hours ago...

It's a shame you consider that you "wasted" your day in our forum, where we have many fine folks here who can quickly answer questions if only they are asked. I saw your other post in the Working eSATA Setup thread, very much like the one above, but I didn't see any questions from you, just your complaint that we didn't help you. Did I overlook the request for help? :confused:

#151 OFFLINE   nealkdc@gmail.com

nealkdc@gmail.com

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

I'm sorry I came across as a jerk. I probably was... these threads most definately helped, but like I said it took HOURS to piece it all together. and every time I picked out a hdd, I read a little further and found out it wouldn't work/fail quickly.

The reason I didn't ask questions was because I didn't think people would respond as quickly and the only day I have to do this is Sundays. My bad.

I'm just saying I wish the interwebs were a little more organized. how come there's no DEFINITIVE hdd suggestions? How about we start now? I'll go first..

western digital my book home edition 1 tb external hard drive connected with dynex esata cable works well.

Good Night Now!

#152 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

I'm sorry I came across as a jerk. I probably was... these threads most definately helped, but like I said it took HOURS to piece it all together. and every time I picked out a hdd, I read a little further and found out it wouldn't work/fail quickly.

The reason I didn't ask questions was because I didn't think people would respond as quickly and the only day I have to do this is Sundays. My bad.

I'm just saying I wish the interwebs were a little more organized. how come there's no DEFINITIVE hdd suggestions? How about we start now? I'll go first..

western digital my book home edition 1 tb external hard drive connected with dynex esata cable works well.

Good Night Now!

The problem is that this is an unsupported feature, and what works on a particular model for one person may not work for another. I'm glad the WD/Dynex works for you, but that doesn't make it definitive as it may fail on someone else's HR22. It seems the most reliable solution so far has been to use the Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure. I use that on my HR21.

You'd be surprised how fast you can get a response if you ask a question, nicely. But if you don't get a satisfactory or timely response, it's not anyone's responsibility to provide you the solution you seek. We all have jobs, and families, and real lives as you do. There's nothing special about you or us here.

#153 OFFLINE   nealkdc@gmail.com

nealkdc@gmail.com

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

The problem is that this is an unsupported feature, and what works on a particular model for one person may not work for another. I'm glad the WD/Dynex works for you, but that doesn't make it definitive as it may fail on someone else's HR22. It seems the most reliable solution so far has been to use the Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure. I use that on my HR21.

You'd be surprised how fast you can get a response if you ask a question, nicely. But if you don't get a satisfactory or timely response, it's not anyone's responsibility to provide you the solution you seek. We all have jobs, and families, and real lives as you do. There's nothing special about you or us here.

tell that to my mom. she always told me I was special

on a more serious note, can you explain why what works for me won't work for others? (that seems to be definitive proof I am, indeed, special btw) aren't all of these machines(hr22-100) supposed to be exact same specs? maybe we need to split up and make a thread exclusive to hr22-100 because from what I read, it does act a lot differently than the hr20 and hr 21. I'm just saying because MOST of the posts on here, at least the ones I read, reference hr20 and hr21 and very few the hr22.

AND does anyone else with a new hard drive on their box feel that their hr22 doesn't lag anywhere near as much as the original hdd in the box? maybe it's because I have only filled my 1tb hdd to 13% so far. But I remember my hr22 lagged pretty much from day 1 with the original drive. maybe it's just in my head, but I DEFINATELY feel the box is 10x faster to respond now.

#154 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

tell that to my mom. she always told me I was special

on a more serious note, can you explain why what works for me won't work for others? (that seems to be definitive proof I am, indeed, special btw) aren't all of these machines(hr22-100) supposed to be exact same specs? maybe we need to split up and make a thread exclusive to hr22-100 because from what I read, it does act a lot differently than the hr20 and hr 21. I'm just saying because MOST of the posts on here, at least the ones I read, reference hr20 and hr21 and very few the hr22.

AND does anyone else with a new hard drive on their box feel that their hr22 doesn't lag anywhere near as much as the original hdd in the box? maybe it's because I have only filled my 1tb hdd to 13% so far. But I remember my hr22 lagged pretty much from day 1 with the original drive. maybe it's just in my head, but I DEFINATELY feel the box is 10x faster to respond now.

Hell, what works on one HR22 may not even work on another HR22. There's been a lot of black magic associated with this "feature."

My 1 TB drive on my HR21 starts lagging more and more as I get to about 50% full and beyond.

#155 OFFLINE   nealkdc@gmail.com

nealkdc@gmail.com

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

sooo.... you agree I am special? :) Everything you keep telling me makes me believe in your opinion I am indeed special.

now to keep this topical, can someone tell me if replacing the INTERNAL HDD on my other two HR22s is as easy as opening the box, taking out the original HDD, getting any good INTERNAL HDD from the store, and simply replacing it using the original wiring? or do I need to do all sorts of ridiculous formatting/uploading of some software to the NEW HDD before throwing it in? or is it just as simple as I'm hoping it is?

#156 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:48 AM

Yes, it is as simple as replacing the Hard Drive in your PC. Of course, you Void your warranty but if that is no big concern then unscrew the 5 Torx screws with a #10 Torx Security Screwdriver, take off the top cover, unscrew the Torx screw holding the drive in and take off the Power Cable & IDE Cable and replace the drive button everything back up and you are done as the DVR will reformat everything and boot back up.

#157 OFFLINE   nealkdc@gmail.com

nealkdc@gmail.com

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

Yes, it is as simple as replacing the Hard Drive in your PC. Of course, you Void your warranty but if that is no big concern then unscrew the 5 Torx screws with a #10 Torx Security Screwdriver, take off the top cover, unscrew the Torx screw holding the drive in and take off the Power Cable & IDE Cable and replace the drive button everything back up and you are done as the DVR will reformat everything and boot back up.

that was very helpful, thank you. so do I need a specific kind of hdd? or just about any internal hdd should work? I'm not very up on all the tech lingo, but I have replaced hdd's on my old directv tivo dvrs like 6 years ago and have changed multiple internal hdds on desktop computers. I can do the basic stuff, and this seems simple enough. can you recommend a particular hdd? I'd like to keep the price in the $200 range and would like a minimum of 1 tb, yet I want something high quality, even if it costs $20-30 more than a no name brand that's proven unreliable. thanks in advance

Edited by nealkdc@gmail.com, 10 June 2009 - 11:19 AM.

#158 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

I do want to emphasize that it will Void Your Warranty if you do modify it so just be forewarned, but yes it is possible and if you OWN your DVR then I would then advise you to do it if you know how to work with a PC. You can get shocked by static electricity buildup which is probably one of the reasons why Directv doesn't want you tampering with the DVR!!! ASo Buyer Beware!!!

#159 OFFLINE   nealkdc@gmail.com

nealkdc@gmail.com

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

I do want to emphasize that it will Void Your Warranty if you do modify it so just be forewarned, but yes it is possible and if you OWN your DVR then I would then advise you to do it if you know how to work with a PC. You can get shocked by static electricity buildup which is probably one of the reasons why Directv doesn't want you tampering with the DVR!!! ASo Buyer Beware!!!

I bought the thing for like $200 from best buy, but directv lists it as leased and say they want it back if I cancel(which is ludicrous and they can expect a class action suit if that ever happens), but I hope they never give me a reason to cancel. They're signed on with NFL Sunday Ticket till 2014 so I'll be with them at least until then. Can you tell me if I void the warranty, does it also mean when they want the reciever back they'll charge me full price for the receiver? I'm still going to do it, and if after 8 1/2 years of loyalty they jerk me I'm fortunate enough to have a family of high powered lawyers.

As I open the box and replace the HDD, I'll be sure to scream at it, "Don't tase(shock) me bro!!" Will the static shock only hurt me, or is there a high chance it'll actually short the reciever? I think I can handle a little jolt to my system, but not to my receiver. also, is there a way to de-staticfy whatever needs to be destatic'd? any advice on a quality hdd?

#160 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:34 PM

I bought the thing for like $200 from best buy, but directv lists it as leased and say they want it back if I cancel(which is ludicrous and they can expect a class action suit if that ever happens), but I hope they never give me a reason to cancel. They're signed on with NFL Sunday Ticket till 2014 so I'll be with them at least until then. Can you tell me if I void the warranty, does it also mean when they want the reciever back they'll charge me full price for the receiver? I'm still going to do it, and if after 8 1/2 years of loyalty they jerk me I'm fortunate enough to have a family of high powered lawyers.

As I open the box and replace the HDD, I'll be sure to scream at it, "Don't tase(shock) me bro!!" Will the static shock only hurt me, or is there a high chance it'll actually short the reciever? I think I can handle a little jolt to my system, but not to my receiver. also, is there a way to de-staticfy whatever needs to be destatic'd? any advice on a quality hdd?

Getting a HR2x from Best Buy is just a convenience -- it's still leased, and there is probably a disclaimer to that affect on your receipt or displayed when you setup the box. Good luck starting a class action with that. All newly acquired boxes are leased and have been so for some time. As others have said, opening the box and replacing the drive is done at your own risk. I think using an external drive and avoiding the issue altogether is simpler.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...