Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transfer vip722 dvr internal hard drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aztechie

aztechie

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:49 PM

I have a VIP722 dvr that keeps rebooting. It started 2 days ago - no message on the screen, no warning - it just shut off while I was watching a recorded program. I waited for it to reboot, and 3 minutes later, it happened again. Worked fine for the rest of the night, but today it happened again. And now, it just keeps rebooting - doesn't stay on for longer than 5 minutes.

After 2 frustrating and unproductive calls with Dish Network, all they are going to do is send me a new receiver. Well that's just great, but what about the over 40hrs of HD programming that I have on the current DVR?! The only option the tech support would give me is to transfer everything to an external hard drive - but since my power doesn't stay on for long, that isn't going to work!

Does anyone know how to remove the internal hard drive and transfer it into the new reciever? The tech support rep would not tell me how to do this, but said it's doable...mad:

Has anyone had a problem like this? Any other suggestions on how to transfer the recorded programming are welcome too...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rpratt

rpratt

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:14 PM

I have a VIP722 dvr that keeps rebooting. It started 2 days ago - no message on the screen, no warning - it just shut off while I was watching a recorded program. I waited for it to reboot, and 3 minutes later, it happened again. Worked fine for the rest of the night, but today it happened again. And now, it just keeps rebooting - doesn't stay on for longer than 5 minutes.

After 2 frustrating and unproductive calls with Dish Network, all they are going to do is send me a new receiver. Well that's just great, but what about the over 40hrs of HD programming that I have on the current DVR?! The only option the tech support would give me is to transfer everything to an external hard drive - but since my power doesn't stay on for long, that isn't going to work!

Does anyone know how to remove the internal hard drive and transfer it into the new reciever? The tech support rep would not tell me how to do this, but said it's doable...mad:

Has anyone had a problem like this? Any other suggestions on how to transfer the recorded programming are welcome too...

See the thread I started titled "722 constant reboot" for my similar tale. However, I can't help with your specific problem, I just gave up on my recorded programming, irritating though that was.

Bob

#3 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:04 AM

If you remove the drive and put it in a new receiver, the new receiver in all probability will re-format the drive adn you will lose all recordings anyway.

If you cannot copy files to an EHD, I guess the HDD swap might be worth a try.

But be aware that there are tamper labels inside the 722 that if broken void your warranty.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#4 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

Using an External Drive to move content is the answer. I even heard some rumor that E* may be able to transfer preference settings, but that may have just been a rumor.

I do not recommend swapping drives. Every receiver has a Receiver CAID number that is unique to that receiver. I do not know if that is married or imprinted onto the HDD or not. It may reformat the drive if you try.

#5 OFFLINE   dandirk

dandirk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:52 AM

I am surprised that no one has tried to put a new/larger HDD into these boxes yet...

#6 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

I am surprised that no one has tried to put a new/larger HDD into these boxes yet...

I am sure it has been attempted. I am also sure that the discussions around the Internet of it not working because of some proprietary handshake code in the MBR of the HDD holds at least some truth as well. But again it I have not tried it myself so I don't know if those discussions are fact or not.

#7 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:14 AM

Someone in this list said he tried it a good while back. It was a larger drive, not one from another receiver. However, when the receiver automatically formatted the larger drive he ended up with the same amount of space as the original drive because it was automatically partitioned to the same fixed partition sizes. At least that's the way I remember the story, true or not, I don't really know but it sounds reasonable.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#8 OFFLINE   dandirk

dandirk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

Someone in this list said he tried it a good while back. It was a larger drive, not one from another receiver. However, when the receiver automatically formatted the larger drive he ended up with the same amount of space as the original drive because it was automatically partitioned to the same fixed partition sizes. At least that's the way I remember the story, true or not, I don't really know but it sounds reasonable.

probably the system removed partitions and creates new ones at a set size...

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,698 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

Nope.
You can't use bigger HDD then 500 GB inside of 722, also a list of approved disks is short, one Seagate and one WD (OEM).

You mixed up with that attempt to use bigger disk for 921.

#10 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:58 AM

No. It was on a 622. I was not around in the 921 days. Just reporting what I heard, not guarantying fact.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,698 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:48 PM

I didn't find any hint in your post it was about 622 ( the thread is about 722 ).

Anyway, yes you could install 500 GB inside 622 and it will accept full size. Just find those disks from approved list.

Somehow you messed everything what you read at SatGuys. ;)

spam firewall