Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ordering RFD TV only

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   burry31

burry31

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:42 AM

I'm looking to order RFD TV just get the Imus show. I already have cable so I'm not interested in ordering any other package. Dish network website shows I can order for $1.99 plus $6 service access fee. Now my question is if it's possible if I buy used equipment off ebay and get the channel activated without contracts, credit checks, etc. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:53 AM

Did you call Dish Network and ask?
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:13 AM

I don't think that would be possible. I mean you can't call your local cable co. and say "I just want 1 channel." I'm pretty sure some package would have to be subscribed to and also some commitment would have to entered into. But, by all means give them a call. Let us know what they tell you.

#4 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

If you just want to listen to Immus it would be cheaper to just listen to it on the internet. Here is a link to his website. Seems like more trouble to me to just hear a show--http://www.imusonair.com/ If I am right you have to get a least a month to month contract-wouldn't be worth it to me.

#5 OFFLINE   burry31

burry31

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:36 AM

I don't think that would be possible. I mean you can't call your local cable co. and say "I just want 1 channel." I'm pretty sure some package would have to be subscribed to and also some commitment would have to entered into. But, by all means give them a call. Let us know what they tell you.

my local cable company doesnt carry rfd which is the reason i looked into getting the channel via satellite. directv doesnt offer the channel a la carte but dish does.

#6 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

Dish network website shows I can order for $1.99 plus $6 service access fee. Now my question is if it's possible if I buy used equipment off ebay and get the channel activated without contracts, credit checks, etc.

It'll work except for the parts about contracts and credit checks. You will have to sign some sort of contract, although you won't need to have any long-term commitment. And I'm not sure whether Dish will need a credit check; you will be owing them $7.99/month, even though it'll usually be paid in advance.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#7 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

The access fee is there to avoid purchasing a package.

#8 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

my local cable company doesnt carry rfd which is the reason i looked into getting the channel via satellite. directv doesnt offer the channel a la carte but dish does.

I was just generalizing. I never heard of any provider doing that. But I guess just because I never heard of it doesn't mean it can't be done.

#9 OFFLINE   Cold Irons

Cold Irons

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:12 AM

Imus? Good lord - can't you get the same effect by repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with a hammer ?? :D
Dish: DVR 501/722/622 - with Gold HD + OTA CM4228
"She said: You can't repeat the past."
"I said: You can't? Whattya mean you can't...of course you can."

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,361 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

RFD should be available without a package as it IS offered a la carte. DISH will charge you $6 per month for not having a package, on top of the channel's fee. Many have done this to get theri locals (and just their locals) via satellite or other a la carte offerings.

#11 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:53 PM

If you go through with this you will need to point your dish a Echostar VIII@110W orbital location. That is where RFD-TV is. Good luck with it.

#12 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

I am going to check Dish's website! I could live with four or five Sat channels plus OTA HD. But isn't all Dish equipment leased?

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,361 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:12 PM

I am going to check Dish's website! I could live with four or five Sat channels plus OTA HD. But isn't all Dish equipment leased?

No ... there is plenty of non-lease equipment available. For just RFD TV I'd pick up a 301 (a new one) for cheap on eBay. But you can buy any receiver (for a price) from DISH or from a reseller.

#14 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

If you go through with this you will need to point your dish a Echostar VIII@110W orbital location. That is where RFD-TV is. Good luck with it.

Except that EchoStar VIII is more than halfway to 77w. :)
It is EchoStar 11 at 110w now.

For that matter, if it is an MPEG4 receiver RFDTV is also on EchoStar VI at 72.7w as part of the Eastern Arc service..

#15 OFFLINE   derek5L

derek5L

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

I'm looking to order RFD TV just get the Imus show. I already have cable so I'm not interested in ordering any other package. Dish network website shows I can order for $1.99 plus $6 service access fee. Now my question is if it's possible if I buy used equipment off ebay and get the channel activated without contracts, credit checks, etc. Thanks in advance.

Look into buying the Free For All system and then add the "locals only" package and RFD for a monthly bill of 11.98 without a contract.
Don't think "problem", think "opportunity".

#16 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

Look into buying the Free For All system and then add the "locals only" package and RFD for a monthly bill of 11.98 without a contract.

IF by "free for all" system you mean a prepaid system, that will not work. Local are not availble with the prepaid system. You can get a new system installed without a contract from dish but I think you have to have at least an AT package. Your best bet is to call a local contractor in your area and ask them about purchasing a system. You could probably purchase a new 301 and get it installed without a contract for around $150 dollars or less.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#17 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

RFD is also in the "Family Pack", although it shows up on an different channel number way up high in the 4-digit range (it's in the red on it's regular 3-digit channel number on family pack systems).

My Mom had Family Pack and I told her about another program on RFD that she may have been interested in. I knew it was supposed to be included in FP, so when I saw it not listed in the clear at it's normal channel number I called E*. The CSR wanted to sell it to her a'la carte. I then told the CSR that I knew it was included in FP and that is when I was told where to find it. Angel 2 is now also up there as well. Why does E* do this? Why can't this channel be on the same number for every package it's on?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#18 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Except that EchoStar VIII is more than halfway to 77w. :)
It is EchoStar 11 at 110w now.

For that matter, if it is an MPEG4 receiver RFDTV is also on EchoStar VI at 72.7w as part of the Eastern Arc service..

Oops. Sorry about that bogus info. That was my interpretation from the E* website.

#19 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

I have been able to add one of my mom's old receivers to my account with no problem and no new committment, but it's an existing account so that may be different than a completely new customer.

An alternative to the $6 access fee is the $10 "welcome pack," which is available but isn't promoted on their website, other than in a press release. It includes about 20 brand-name channels (Comedy, CNN, Discovery, etc.), plus the PI channels you'd normally get with the access fee (C-SPAN, TBN, Link TV, etc.) Welcome pack with locals is $15.

#20 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

Here's a list I found for the Welcome Pack. Corrections are welcome, but this list doesn't have CNN or Discovery per se.

AMC
Bloomberg Television
Boomerang
Comedy Central
Country Music Television
Discovery Kids
Food Network
Hallmark Channel
The History Channel
Home & Garden Television
The Home Shopping Network
MSNBC
MTV 2
Shop NBC
TBS
TLC
Oxygen
QVC
We
The Weather Channel

Plus the PI channels, which can be activated on request for any active account.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

spam firewall