Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Sirius (and XM) "guarantee"

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:09 AM

Bear with me a moment. I've been a Sirius subscriber for 4-5 years. Mostly quite satisfied. But I subscribed because of the sports offering, and have stayed mostly because of the great commercial-free music. Anyway, Sirius dropped the NHL a year or 2 ago, and now NBA this year. Since the NBA was on Sirius before the merger with XM, and now "still" available as a part of the Best of XM package, can't one conclude that my receivers which cannot get the XM channels have become obsolete? As a result of the merger my receivers can no longer receive programming that they could before the merger, programming that Sirius claims is "still" available.

I have a lot invested in car, home, and portable devices/accessories. For them to tell me to just buy new equipment is not acceptable.

So they offer this "guarantee" but they don't say what they will do if they can't meet it.
D* customer since 1996, when new customers had to PAY for equipment

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ThunderRoad

ThunderRoad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:33 AM

It's my understanding the NBA deal was signed with XM before the merger was approved. However, it's no different than when I had XM for their NASCAR channel. As they say in their terms and conditions, programming is subject to change. Afterwards, Sirius secured the rights, so I ended up buying Sirius equipment.

Now if all of the programming went from Sirius over to XM, and all the channels on your Sirius radio went silent, then it would be considered obsolete.

#3 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Just what is the guarantee? I'm not familiar with it.

#4 OFFLINE   minorthr

minorthr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

I take it your equipment doesnt work with best of XM. Join the club. The radio installed in our Volvo doesnt work with best of either and we got it in March.

#5 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Just what is the guarantee? I'm not familiar with it.

They guarantee that your existing equipment won't become obsolete as a result of the merger. But they don't state the "or else" part. Anywhere.

Interestingly, they used to have a graphic posted on both the Sirius and XM sites stating this guarantee, but I can't find it. It was there as recently as a week or 2 ago.

#6 OFFLINE   nj1313

nj1313

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

I take it your equipment doesnt work with best of XM. Join the club. The radio installed in our Volvo doesnt work with best of either and we got it in March.

I have one of the original Sportster Replay radio...it is useless for any of the XM channels...

Will Sirius replace my radio so it can pick up XM channels:) , or are they expecting me to shell out more money to get XM channels:nono2: ???

Has anybody heard anything when calling Sirius?

#7 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

It's my understanding the NBA deal was signed with XM before the merger was approved. However, it's no different than when I had XM for their NASCAR channel. As they say in their terms and conditions, programming is subject to change. Afterwards, Sirius secured the rights, so I ended up buying Sirius equipment.

Now if all of the programming went from Sirius over to XM, and all the channels on your Sirius radio went silent, then it would be considered obsolete.

I don't believe this is the case, that the deal between NBA and XM was signed before the merger was approved. There is no evidence of that. There is evidence though that it was done well afterwards. Any search will tell you that.

Channels that switched sides as a result of the merger render older equipment obsolete. That's the case here.

EDIT: Sirius stopped posting in their press releases that they were the home of the NBA around June 17, 2008. The merger was given FCC approval the end of July I believe.

#8 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

I have one of the original Sportster Replay radio...it is useless for any of the XM channels...

Will Sirius replace my radio so it can pick up XM channels:) , or are they expecting me to shell out more money to get XM channels:nono2: ???

Has anybody heard anything when calling Sirius?

I had 2 home tuners, 2 sportsters, and 1 vehicle subscription. I had to replace 1 sporster to be able to receive best of XM and none of them are capable of Ala Carte. Those are the facts.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#9 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

I had 2 home tuners, 2 sportsters, and 1 vehicle subscription. I had to replace 1 sporster to be able to receive best of XM and none of them are capable of Ala Carte. Those are the facts.

Wonderful! But they're not obsolete!

#10 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

Look what I found!

From http://investor.siri...eleaseID=232255

"Following a merger, SIRIUS will be able to offer the best of both services in a mix of programming that can be accessed by existing radios, including such critically acclaimed SIRIUS programming as:

* 100% commercial-free music

* The best sports line-up including the NFL, NASCAR, NBA and college
sports

* Top personalities, such as Howard Stern, with two dedicated full-time
channels, Martha Stewart Living Radio, CosmoRadio, Playboy Radio, and
Blue Collar Comedy channel, among many others"

I *cannot* receive NBA programming with my existing radio! The guarantee has been broken. What will Sirius do about it?

#11 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:55 PM

Look what I found!

From http://investor.siri...eleaseID=232255

"Following a merger, SIRIUS will be able to offer the best of both services in a mix of programming that can be accessed by existing radios, including such critically acclaimed SIRIUS programming as:

* 100% commercial-free music

* The best sports line-up including the NFL, NASCAR, NBA and college
sports

* Top personalities, such as Howard Stern, with two dedicated full-time
channels, Martha Stewart Living Radio, CosmoRadio, Playboy Radio, and
Blue Collar Comedy channel, among many others"

I *cannot* receive NBA programming with my existing radio! The guarantee has been broken. What will Sirius do about it?

Let's face it the public, the FCC, and even the Department of Justice were lied to when it came to information about the merger. And back before the merger was allowed to take place anyone I said that to became very upset with me.
But now everyone is starting to see how the merger is really working out for the public and now they are really upset.

#12 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Let yourself be heard!!

http://blog.wired.co...llite.html#more

Let's try to get something out of this mess.

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:16 AM

Let's face it the public, the FCC, and even the Department of Justice were lied to when it came to information about the merger. And back before the merger was allowed to take place anyone I said that to became very upset with me.
But now everyone is starting to see how the merger is really working out for the public and now they are really upset.

Not me, Dolly. I have agreed with you all along about the lies.

It doesn't matter very much to me, however. I've got two XM receivers on my account and wouldn't miss them very much at all if I cancelled.

#14 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:30 AM

The deal is done. XM and Sirius have merged like they wanted. Now, it's FU the customer and go out and buy more equipment (revenue for them) to get what you were 'guaranteed.' It's not their problem. If you don't like it, go to the other satellite radio provider. No wait, HA HA!

#15 OFFLINE   JClore1950

JClore1950

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:40 AM

I received an email stating that for an outrageously high downpayment, and then increased monthly payments, I could have various levels of combined, XM and Sirius programming. Unfortunately, the email gave the impression that the alrge down payment was to what your new monthly fees might total. I had to get this straight via a phone call to XM.

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,248 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

Karmazin lied. I just cancelled my XM subscription today.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   ThunderRoad

ThunderRoad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

That's why I don't see their ala carte promise lasting very long either. 6.99 per month doesn't provide a big enough revenue stream. They said within 3 months after the close of the merger there would be ala carte radios and plans. Next week will make it 3 months since the close. And what have we seen? One ala carte radio model (on the Sirius side) on the market? None for XM yet. I think that's by design so months down the line they can say "we're discontinuing ala carte due to the fact not enough consumers took advantage of the offer".

#18 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

Channels that switched sides as a result of the merger render older equipment obsolete. That's the case here.

EDIT: Sirius stopped posting in their press releases that they were the home of the NBA around June 17, 2008. The merger was given FCC approval the end of July I believe.

...this is crazy......the bottom line is that all of these channel belong to Sirius XM and to be fair they should find a way to get make them available to ALL without jerking people around with this 'obsolete' radio issue.:mad: :mad:

#19 OFFLINE   Hoxxx

Hoxxx

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:18 AM

Bear with me a moment. I've been a Sirius subscriber for 4-5 years. Mostly quite satisfied. But I subscribed because of the sports offering, and have stayed mostly because of the great commercial-free music. Anyway, Sirius dropped the NHL a year or 2 ago, and now NBA this year. Since the NBA was on Sirius before the merger with XM, and now "still" available as a part of the Best of XM package, can't one conclude that my receivers which cannot get the XM channels have become obsolete? As a result of the merger my receivers can no longer receive programming that they could before the merger, programming that Sirius claims is "still" available.

I have a lot invested in car, home, and portable devices/accessories. For them to tell me to just buy new equipment is not acceptable.

So they offer this "guarantee" but they don't say what they will do if they can't meet it.

My XM equipment gets the best of Sirius just fine....no worries
1:HR20 with a eSATA-750 gb, 1:HR20, 3:H20's,
Samsung 56" DLP HLT5689S,
Samsung 32" LCD LNR328W,
Sharp 20" LCD LC-20SH20U,
Polaroid 17" LCD FLM-1511,
Magnavox 15" LCD
Playstation 3, XBOX 360,
Toshiba HD-XA2, Onkyo TX-SR606, Mirage Sound System with Sub, (((XM))) Sub since 3/6/2003,
Using 1 MyFi's, and a Lucerne with Factory XM

#20 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

My XM equipment gets the best of Sirius just fine....no worries

What XM equipment do you have? My XM equipment is in my car. I don't want Best of Sirius, but for the point of the post lets say I do want it. So I order it only to find out that my car radio won't play it. What happens then?

spam firewall