Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HD channel came on today, but .....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tas3986

tas3986

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

Today I noticed that I was no longer able to use my remote to get to the fox news channel. @ 360. I had to key it in manually. To my surprise it was now HD. And it was no longer available on my favorites.

I guess that because I have "dont select SD channels" specified somewhere, that the SD channel 360 was removed from my list.

Recordings could have been lost. How many other channels have gone HD? I probabley need to reactivate them too.

Directv needs to post "New HD additons" on their web page, or send emails to my DVR announcing new channels ... so I can take action. Or maybe, when a channel goes HD, to automatically copy the favorite SD selection to the new HD entry.

Or am I doing something wrong?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

can look in the programming forum that is updated. fnchd has about 30 pages between all the posts.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#3 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,646 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

Just edit your favorites list - scroll through and select all the HD channels that are unmarked and appear in your package.

#4 OFFLINE   rahchgo

rahchgo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

Two good responses that don't really address the question.

can look in the programming forum that is updated. fnchd has about 30 pages between all the posts.

We shouldn't have to follow the Dbstalk forums to findout about new HD programming. I agree with OP. D* should send announcements via the message capability of the receiver.

Just edit your favorites list - scroll through and select all the HD channels that are unmarked and appear in your package.

OP did not ask how to take action. The question was how to know that you need to take action.

I've voiced the opinion in the past that D* has this great ability to leave msgs. in the receiver and they rarely use it.
Rich - Chicago, IL (Tri-Taylor neighborhood) HR44-500

#5 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,414 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

We shouldn't have to follow the Dbstalk forums to findout about new HD programming. I agree with OP. D* should send announcements via the message capability of the receiver.

I subscribe to Swanni's daily newsletter and that is how I found out about it.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

OP did not ask how to take action. The question was how to know that you need to take action.

First off, your recordings would still continue just fine on the SD channel so you don't have to take action unless you want them in HD now, so you'd have no lost recordings.

Second, DirecTV makes public announcements of channels but usually a few days after they launch, just in case there are problems with the launch. Why tell 18 million people of a new channel and it's not there? So they will most likely have a press release about it in a few days if not sooner. New channel announcements I get usually as an email from DirecTV or it's on my monthly bill.

Or you can check any number of web sites like DBSTalk where there will be front page news on it. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

For every major HD channel addition, there should be a message on the H2x and HR2x receiver announcing the new addition.

I would guess that a very large population of DirecTV subscribers have no idea that Fox News HD was added today.

We can debate how valuable the channel is but it would be great to publicize that more HD is available.

Also, guess I hadn't realized this before ... but if you hide SD/HD duplicates ... with the addition of FNC HD today ... FNC is gone from the guide (in favorites mode) until you manually check FNC HD. I guess this will force folks to realize that it's now in HD.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#8 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

+1

Yes, I am going to sound like a TIVO fool, but TIVO used to add new channels to your favorites list. Annoying in the fact that the shopping channels kept reappearing. We are the few that read these forums. How may people don't know why FNC wen away this morning? Oh, wait, there will be a banner add in the guide that I won't actually read because my eyes have already become used to ignoring them.

They should send messages at the minimum. They really needed figure this out months ago.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

I'm sure there will be a ton of press releases, banner ads, etc. on this very shortly.

I really don't want to use the T word more than I have to, but for everyone who liked new channels being automatically added on his TiVo, there was another person who did not like it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

I'm sure there will be a ton of press releases, banner ads, etc. on this very shortly.

Very nice. Looking forward to it!

The more publicity the better.

Personally, if they add the HBO's/MAX's then I'm covered with almost every HD channel I'd actually watch. The kids would love ESPNU HD. Other then that not much else in this household.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

It seems the very same discussion is going on here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=142768

and so it is my pleasure to close this thread.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall